Peripherals What printer?

Him Her

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Clearly, I am totally incompetent when choosing a printer. They mostly last until just out of warranty then croak.

This time I bought the extended warranty so I have £60 towards a replacement, but which one should I buy?

Just a basic inkjet with copy/scan, printing mostly plain pages with occasional photos, low duty-cycle - maybe half a dozen pages a day.

Your thoughts please!

We just bought a canon mg 4250, wifi, all in one, and it also supports an ap for AirPrint from iPad. £54 from amazon!

better off with the mg5350, inks are cheaper since can get 3rd party ones.
also does CD/DVD's and has all the wi-fi jiggery-pokery
managed to get me Ma one from Canon direct, it's a refurb but you wouldn't know it, was only £45

I had years of good service from a Canon printer/scanner/fax (remember them?) but it started going through print heads for some reason and got too costly. I replaced it with a HP but that was a mistake (we all make them), a Lexmark (another even bigger mistake, but at least it was cheap) now using a Brother laser. I went for the laser, as I do so little printing I couldn't use up the ink before it dried out (apparently) so hopefully toner will last a bit longer. So far so good, except it doesn't like glossy paper. REALLY doesn't like it.
But going back to the old Canon, I was truly amazed at the print quality on glossy paper given that it was just a glorified fax machine.

I had years of good service from a Canon printer/scanner/fax (remember them?) but it started going through print heads for some reason and got too costly. I replaced it with a HP but that was a mistake (we all make them), a Lexmark (another even bigger mistake, but at least it was cheap) now using a Brother laser. I went for the laser, as I do so little printing I couldn't use up the ink before it dried out (apparently) so hopefully toner will last a bit longer. So far so good, except it doesn't like glossy paper. REALLY doesn't like it.
But going back to the old Canon, I was truly amazed at the print quality on glossy paper given that it was just a glorified fax machine.

Oh Brother! Mrs M uses the colour inkjet (is that my problem??) while I have had Brother lasers for years with no problems...

I'm picking up a Canon mg3150 from argos tomorrow for £39.99 They have it's replacement (mg3250) for the same price but it's got nothing new on it and actually prints slower. Refurb carts are cheap enough on Ebay.

I'm going to miss my mp630 but the print head is fooked and going to cost £70 for a new one and it's just not worth it as don't use the extra features anymore.

So, +1 for cheap Canon's. Set yourself a budget and don't be tricked into shelling out more for something you'll never use. Just make sure you can get 'after market' ink for it at a price cheaper than gold!

I've got a Canon that Ive had 8/10 years and an epson all in one that I bought a while ago, Canon still works perfectly and I use it for photos etc pisses all over the epson IMO, only realy use the epson for copying etc

Back