what dog should we get?

goldie

Ellie's Buxom Wench
Reaction score
hi all

ellie1998 and i would like to get another dog, our other dog, we had to end her time as she was poorly and 17 years old, a staff/labrador gross.

time now has passed an we miss a doggie about the place.

we now have a problem ( well i do as he'd like a staffy, but i think it too boistrus for me as i will be the main one looking after her )

so this is my criterior, please advise me if possible of some idea what we should get,

type of home enviroment;

my mum lives with us and is frail-ish and 83 years old
we have a cat already
3 chickens we let out in the garden sometimes
all adults living here
im at home only go out occasionally and mum is here anyway
a 7 month old grandchild who visits at weekends
we have a quiet household , no goings in an out much
a small garden to let her out in and plenty nearby open spaces for exersize

as to type of doggy i'd like

a short haired ( cant stand dog fur over clothes and furiture)
small to medium build
placcid ( dont want a bousterus one or yappy / nippy)
must be female.
dont mind if a breed or a cross breed mutt thingy

so there you go, any ideas?
many thanks xx

labrador
Gets my vote too.

We have 3 rescue dogs, one is 14 year old lurcher - lovely but can be snappy if sleeping
3 yrs old Labrador/weimereiner (shit spelling I know) - she is gorgeous, gentle and loving
nearly 3 yrs old Staffie - lovely dog but mad as a brush! Very boistrous

Good luck finding a labrador in rescue place though.

thanks guys for your thoughts
i must admit, when i was typing up my requirements i was thinking labrador too
my ex's parents and bro in law had labradors years ago, and they were lovely
very docile but still cute an cuddly even as a largish dog.
they had a black shorthaired one, and a long haired golden retriever beautiful doggies.

and yes i will try to get one from a rescue center . makes sence for many reasons
thanks all xx

like it.. perhaps i should have called this thread
what daaag do i buy lol xx

Get a great Dane ..they are ACE , and dont jump up or anything they just loiter .
we have 2 boxers , but one of them is old , wen he goes to doggy heaven i will have a great dane )

The one we lost was where I got my username from as she was the original ellie

I do love Boxers :) but they can be quite playful and are energetic as younger dogs so not sure if ellie manage at his age ;) beautiful dogs though and out 2 were very loyal dogs :)

hehe yeah, i need to consider the oldun in the family. ( not inc. mum ) as rat says.
am seriously thinking of a labrador now. will look into it and see how things go,
and whatever we get , we'll let you all know .

I got 2 red setters and love them.
Going to breed them but you did say placid and there certainly not that

hehe yeah, i need to consider the oldun in the family. ( not inc. mum ) as rat says.
am seriously thinking of a labrador now. will look into it and see how things go,
and whatever we get , we'll let you all know .

If you go for a lab watch out for too close bred as they suffer from back-end probs - a lab cross is better, looks the same and more robust - rescue is good :)

Cavalier king charles spaniel! We got one last year and cant believe how good he his, the softest dog ever lol doesnt bark or yap either ;)

Cavalier king charles spaniel! We got one last year and cant believe how good he his, the softest dog ever lol doesnt bark or yap either ;)

now they are beautiful dogs !! love them
its just the fur issue, dont like animal fur all over the clothes and furniture , bugs me, silly i know .
aww ... what to do.
still, theres no rush , and getting a pet should never be a spontaneus thing anyway,
its a life long commitment and you want to get it right.

we'll get a pooch of some sorts one day . when i know its the right dawg for me and my needs .xx :thumbsup:

I know what you mean about the hair issue! He does leave hair everywhere which is annoying lol i'm sure whatever you get you'll be happy, I was asked almost daily by the missus and my lad "can we get a dog?" for about a year then I gave in and now he's my best mate and love taking him out!

Attachments

• 100_0445.JPG
    100_0445.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 6
awwww... hes so beautifulll what a gorgeous doggy !!! so cute,
i want one ... its not his fault he moults his fur aww what to do.
yes hes a lovely doggy and i can see why hes yr besyt friend, i wish you and your family many happy years with him together xx

Back