What do i buy to stream my movies from PC to my livingroom via network?

zorgan

Inactive User
Reaction score
I do not wish to have a pc - i hate using a mouse and keyboard = wires and media centre well i`m not looking to use a pc at all really.........

I would like a BOX of some sort that i could hook up via a netowrk cable.......so i can share a directory on my pc and play the movies through the box easily anyone know what i could buy that i could do that with please?

Hey

I use Xbox to watch Divx, and Xbox 360 to watch HD stuff.

You can get something like

h*tp://www.amazon.co.uk/Netgear-EVA8000-Digital-Entertainer-Ready/dp/B000Q2LSEE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=gateway&qid=1202455607&sr=8-1

Other cheap products out there, but have to look around.

But playing HD on wireless is not that great atm, so best to have wired network for HD stuff.

great devices

thanks devil, i too was looking for this kind of solution

I tried a few solutions like this one

http://svp.co.uk/product/freecom_network_mediaplayer_minus_35_(no_hd)_4198

about a year ago and was not happy with the video performance and codec/file compatibility of such media players. They could have improved since though..

I would personally advise against such players based on poor picture quality and other issues such as lip sync which cant be corrected by them.

You've stated that you don't want anything PC based so I guess you will have to trade off quality over convenience.

Westkill how would you rate the Kiss?

I've read lots of, let's say, unflattering reviews on them.

It's a good price but doesn't really do what it says on the tin, from what I've read.

???

Westkill how would you rate the Kiss?

I've read lots of, let's say, unflattering reviews on them.

It's a good price but doesn't really do what it says on the tin, from what I've read.

???

hi devilfish

what can i say its ok not brilliant the dvd is ok it should upscale normal dvd'svia the hdmi to 720i on your tv or 1080i on a full hd think lol

music and photos in most formats work well ,ts video files work ok all wireless

the only thing that lets it down is the fimware is a bit unstable imo ,

the firmware has only been updated once in 10 months since ive had it
ive read people on the net complaining about it and some other media centres like netgear etc i think they all have there good and bad points about them ,if they all put there heads together they could make a good one lol

i rate it about 6 out of 10 :(

Ive been using the Netgear EVA8000 and its great. Plays most files including ISO's and 720p MKV's.

I dont really have advice for Zorgan so i waited to reply on this thread. I share Munkeys view really that none of these media devices are ideal, although I do think that they are still worth having and suit many people. Over a year or more I've been lucky to be able to play around with various media players in a friends shop but i have always been disappointed compared with my old rusty-trusty home server setup. Dont mean to take thread off track but i want to add my view for others to consider.

First, i'm not rich so sorry if this sounds expensive or flash because its just not, although i do get pc parts free all the time so that helps lol. Anyway, because i have loads of kids I decided a couple of years ago to run a home 'file server' for lots of reasons and its the direction that modern media-homes now really need to go :). Instead of upgrading hard-drives in 2 of the childrens bedroom pc's; upgrading my laptop hdd; upgrading the main lounge pc hdd; just to cope with the growing amount of stored media, i had to find a better way.

I started with a junk 1.2ghz P4 machine just running XP and added that to the home network through the wired hub/switch (no reason why you couldnt go wireless though). The pc was hidden in a cupboard out of the way and started with 2 120gb hdd's fitted. With the machine shared on the network everyone had access to all media ~movies, music, pictures, docs, plus any other files we needed stored. This worked great because kids could watch different movies in their bedrooms while i accessed files and wife was listening to music etc all in different locations around the house.

Soon i added more pc's to the home network and decided to also connect the file-server to the lounge tv so i could use it as a media player on the main screen. I also added more hdd's so it had more storage space and cleared out the whole storage cupboard of dvd's, cd's, etc giving me all the space back :banana: double bonus. Thats about the point where the old 1.2ghz reached its limits ~4 pc's watching different films at the same time, although its rare that it struggles with everyday use. However, the 'windows xp' look, icons, file browsing, ease, stability, endless easy codec upgrade, wmp11, total control, all made it impossible for these media-player gadgets to compete (especially as most have crap software look).

I have the usual remote keyboard transceiver under the tv but thats all you see, so it looks great. Everything i could ever want -simple and on demand with the use of a wireless mouse. Several hundred movies, all the music i ever need, all picture albums, blah blah.

Its so simple that even my 3 year old can turn tv over, move mouse, aim at a desktop folder with her name and click, look at all the pretty pictures (like Cars Movie, Happy Feet, Garfield etc, whatever) and click what she wants.

So while i accept these media players are useful, consider saving a cheap old pc from the scrapheap and creating your own media-file-server. Its the way forward and even microsoft believe so which is why they recently created 'MS Home-server' operating system, although this all works fine with standard xp ;).

ive got a similar setup to pinkhelmets, my tv it wall mounted but i have a 10M VGA lead linked to a laptop that lives under the unit in the corner, again a wireless kayboard and mouse to control it

but i also have an xbox with XBMC that i sometimes use (for the graphics with the projector) and dreambox there

like the look of that new tvix but costs more than ps3 does lets just hope the ps3 eventually supports mkv im just happy playing divx on it the now and watching blu ray cant be assed with converting mkv as im lazy :)

For PS3 and 360s concerning MKV files, you can transcode them, automically, and only takes 5-10 minutes, just changes a few settings on the file, and re encodes the audio,
Great program you can use is Gotsent, can do batch job, really easy. two clicks, and it does it for you in minutes :p
Just do search on Google for Gotsent

The Dvico Tvix & Tomacro LimHD200i are popular HD solutions. This site/page has lots of useful info & posts on latest NAS media streamers and not just HiDef ones- http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=39

Like others have said here, these gadgets all have limitations so are just a basic solution, Codecs & changes will always be an issue. Anyway, my comments were to only help add some ideas :). What happens when your 500gb nas drives quickly fill up? I didnt mention but I now run 4 x 120gb IDE drives and 2 x 500gb sata drives in the home server, and its still not enough space! Additionally, with a shortcut icon on the desktops its total simplicity for streaming the dreambox tv channels everywhere, and this kind of flexibility & integration is just not going to happen with any other solution.

My next addition is an old laptop..... the Mrs keeps saying she wants a tv & stereo in the kitchen for some music. The answer is that I just need to integrate a simple networked laptop into a wall unit (flat and upright like something in startrek), add decent pc speakers above out of sight.... ~voila she'll have access to all the music ever needed and every channel the dreambox can provide ;) as well as all the movies too. However, she can wait lmao.

Back