Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

What can you actually do with an xbox now ?

Budgie

Inactive User
I had an xbox when they first came out and got it chipped. To cut a long story short when the Xbox 360 came out I the Xbox away in the cupboard never to be used again. What exactly are people using them for nowadays ?

XBMC!

These things are still a great Cheap Media Centre if nothing else. They will play almost all media files without a hitch.

I've got a couple in different rooms and a couple under the bed - lol -, I keep a few system link games on the HDD for LAN gaming, MP3 Collection on HDD, I then stream files from a media server.

xbmc is the best media centre out there. Love it.
Wish they had one as good on an other platform like a PC or xbox360, ps3 etc.

xbmc is the best media centre out there. Love it.
Wish they had one as good on an other platform like a PC or xbox360, ps3 etc.

I've got two that are solely used for XBMC.

Also I believe there is a project to port XBMC to Linux, now that would be cool.

Has anyone mentioned XBMC yet? ;)

Nothing else comes close.

oh and there is a massive backlog of excellent games that u can play, or u can use it as a PC running Linux.

I did us my xbox as a dvd player at one point but it sounded like a world war II fighter bomber due to the fan. T

Xbox media centre sounds good. Where would I get it and how do you install it ?

I assume as my xbox is chipped all I do is download the XBMC and burn it to a disk or do I need to ftp the program to the xbox ? I don`t have any extra memory or hd in my xbox.

Quick question - with an XBOX running XBMC, how noisey is it? I mean do they suffer from the Boeing Fan syndrome when you're watching TV/Stuff?

P.S. Witchy, mate, that avatar is giving me the willies!

I assume as my xbox is chipped all I do is download the XBMC and burn it to a disk or do I need to ftp the program to the xbox ? I don`t have any extra memory or hd in my xbox.
NO HDD WTF! Put one in even a small one.

Quick question - with an XBOX running XBMC, how noisey is it? I mean do they suffer from the Boeing Fan syndrome when you're watching TV/Stuff?
I Repeat my Previous quote above XBMC has the option to reduce the fan speed to a whisper, But to be honest I play mine though an amp n crank it up don't notice a thing!

What's really scarey is that is witchy - LOL

Do you get a HD built in with your XBox never really bothered with it when it was new, bar playing games ? If not what type of HD is it i.e. Sata or SCSI ?

Also is XBMC an actuall program or is it something you flash to the box ?

Cheers

If you've never changed the HDD then it'll have a 8-10Gb IDE drive installed.

XBMC is a program, it's full name is Xbox Media Centre.

So, with an original XBox and the XBMC software, I can use it as an extender and watch live TV from my MCE2005 machine? Is that right?

And all the other bits, DVDs, Music, Pictures etc..

So, with an original XBox and the XBMC software, I can use it as an extender and watch live TV from my MCE2005 machine? Is that right?

You can certainly play vid's, music n view pic's across the network, not sure about live TV through MCE. I've been trying the Tuxclient recently streaming dreambox live TV, I've had it so close it hurts but still not managed to get a stable result as yet!

Do you get a HD built in with your XBox never really bothered with it when it was new, bar playing games ? If not what type of HD is it i.e. Sata or SCSI ?

Also is XBMC an actuall program or is it something you flash to the box ?

Cheers

XBox comes with either 10 or 20GB IDE HDD as standard, though they are all partitioned to 10GB.

XBMC is a program you install, you need to either put in a mod chip or as most people do these days use a softmod (there is sticky thread about doing the softmod).

If you use something like Autoinstaller, its only takes a 15 minutes or so do the upgrade.

Sorry but XBMC does not support media extender. Good news is that there is an extender app available so once your xbox is soft-modded you can run that instead of XBMC.

I am not going to say it complely slient but as long as you don't use a v1 xbox (which had a fan on the GPU as well) then its not to bad. If its still to loud and you are handy with a dremel, you can fit a 80mm fan instead of the standard 60mm which cuts down on the noise some more.

Sorry but XBMC does not support media extender. Good news is that there is an extender app available so once your xbox is soft-modded you can run that instead of XBMC.

Cheers, I was thinking of seeing if I could pick one up cheap(ish) to use purely as an extender - not bothered about games TBH.

So, from what I've read, I'd need a later than V1 box (can you tell externally?), one with the DVD Control (which must come with an IR receiver?) and some additional software to put on it.

I think I might have the additonal software. I found an old post the other day talking about some software that Microsoft used to sell, but no longer do, so I downloaded it - would that be it?

Can you tell me some more about soft modding, or point me at some links for setting up an XBOX as an extender?

Back