weeds weeds weeds weed weeds and more fookin weeds!

manutd4life

DW Regular
Reaction score
right i have a problem and you have probably guessed it. WWEDS!

in my back garden where there should be grass is a hell of a lot of weeds. can i get rid of these without digging up the garden and starting fresh?

is there anything out there, also my grass isnt growing well but wanna tackle the weeds first then ill concentreate on the grass.

cheers

i've got the same issue - dandelions have invaded my lawn at the back. all i can do is pull as many up as possible then cut the fucker!

Dandelions can be very hard to get rid of, the main thing is not to let them go to seed so you don't get even more of them. The best way to get rid of them is to dig them out individually, but if you even leave a tiny bit of root behind they will eventually regrow from that, so they are very hard to control. :(

If you have a lot of weeds and moss i would recommend scarifying your lawn, aerating it with a fork, brushing some sand (builders sand will do fine, lawn sand is very expensive) into it to improve the drainage, fertilising it with a combined weedkiller, mosskiller and fertiliser and a couple of weeks after that scattering some tough wearing grass seed on it. If the lawn is looked after properly the grass should flourish, not leaving the weeds room to take hold.

Take the easy root and get Greenthumb to do it for you.

Why Choose Us | GreenThumb | Lawn Treatment and Advice Service

hello_my_name_is_dr_greenthumb_tshirt-p2356903720076239444suh_400.jpg

returf it mate

easiest way to sort it

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

if he re-turf's it then rips up the old soil and replaces it with new topsoil then turfs ontop of that bobs yer uncle

or if you can wait 6 months

rip yer turf up and put down a total residual weedkiller that stays in the ground for 6 months

get a professional to spray round up pro lol it kills everything! lol

theres a product made by evergreen that supposedly kills the weeds and roots in yer lawn whilst greening it up

or get a bottle of verdone lawn safe weedkiller that may do the trick, worked for me in one garden but didnt in another

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

You can always eat them m8, or maybe start a supply contract to a local green restaurant, as they are high in vitamins A and C, and contain impressive levels of iron, calcium, phosphorus, potassium, magnesium, and copper and are supposed to be better than spinach! Maybe then you 'll find your sat on a goldmine and can sit back, relax and watch them grow.

If you have a lot of weeds and moss.

Learn to live with moss. Life's too short for all that faffing about.

Concentrate on getting rid of the weeds. When everything looks green you can pour a few beers and chill. :drink::drink::drink:

just use the weed and feed m8, i have used it a few times and it does work.

Dandelions can be very hard to get rid of, the main thing is not to let them go to seed so you don't get even more of them. The best way to get rid of them is to dig them out individually, but if you even leave a tiny bit of root behind they will eventually regrow from that, so they are very hard to control. :(

If you have a lot of weeds and moss i would recommend scarifying your lawn, aerating it with a fork, brushing some sand (builders sand will do fine, lawn sand is very expensive) into it to improve the drainage, fertilising it with a combined weedkiller, mosskiller and fertiliser and a couple of weeks after that scattering some tough wearing grass seed on it. If the lawn is looked after properly the grass should flourish, not leaving the weeds room to take hold.

sorry not trying to bump this thread but builders sand?

seriously?

lawn sand is not that dear!

builders sand should be absolutely no-where near any type of grass! it'll do more damage than some weedkillers!

itll kill the whole bloody lot!

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

Years ago I rotivated and turfed up the back garden and the front half of the garden I did with seeds. Was so damn nice then the wife and lad decided to get hayfever so the lawn was not used much after that. Dandelions were easy to remove as I used a knife to dig them out slowly. Its the damn clover (I think that is what it is called) that quickly ruins a lawn. I got some lawn friendly weedkiller but I ended up with patches!

Funny though it was the turf that ended up with most of the issues and the seeded part was mostly clean of crap.

In the end I just gave up and lived with it. Thought of concreting the damn thing but the cost was too high :( But imagine the maintenance free hassle eh.

my old school teachers name was Mr Moss. Dont know if thats any good to anybody.

Im forever fighting with weeds in ma garden, hate the feckers.. hopefully a post within this thread will help me 2.

I laid my lawn on heavy clay soil, big mistake. Looked awesome for 2 week, would not respond to any weed/feed looked like this -

mud.jpg

center.jpg

Read up and then done following, cut as short as possible, scarified with an electric scarifier and must of filled about 10 bags !!!, punched holes all over lawn with hollow tine fork, had bags topsoil/sharp sand/compost and done a sandy mix for drainage, dumped this on lawn and levelled with a lute (ladder would do) filling all the holes, overseeded with wilko's standard seed not fine. It then looked like this -

DSCF0757.jpg

DSCF0761.jpg

2 weeks later after a lot of rain and no chance to cut it -

DSCF0804-1.jpg

After first cut -

DSCF0877.jpg

This is a finished pic and does not really do it justice tbh -

DSCF1109.jpg

I now just use liquefied seaweed extract to green it up, added with a super sprayer - Caravan / Motorhome Super Sprayer Hose End Superspray on eBay (end time 04-Jun-10 17:08:25 BST)

Job done

:banana:

It looks brilliant, well done :)

@gav, it guess it depends on the size of the lawn, i had to do two and the back lawn is quite big. i don't see why it would make that much difference to be honest, surely the sand is only for helping with the drainage? then again maybe that's why my lawn is so bad lol

Last edited:
I also cut a lot shorter and more often after advice from a local guy who used to be a groundsman.

My back lawn needs a bit of work....lol

DSCF1108.jpg

Builders sand has loadsa different chemicals in it, which kills grass!

Seaweed extract or anything organic is great for the grass, organic fertillizers are a tremendous help in the garden

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

Back