wd tv play format hard drive - What extension?

Mick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Has anyone got one of these WD play boxes,

316076-wd-tv-play.jpg

I bought the WD TV Play from @little_pob Bargain post here:

https://www.digitalworldz.co.uk/index.php?threads/384811/

but found out the WD TV Play does not support 5.1, so i gave it to my mum, and bought her a 1TB hard drive to put a few bits and pieces on, I plugged in a 1tb Hard Drive and the wd tv play straight away recognised the hard drive.

But I have now taken the hard drive back to mine and about to get it going but do I need to format the drive in any particular format IE fat32, ntfs, etc.

Or is the WD TV Play ok with a straight format in windows and then put your stuff on and away you go?

I searched to see what format the WDTV play supports for hard drives but could not find anything!

Thanks for any help :)

Mick

Last edited:
If it's like the live in that regard ntfs is fine mate, I use my USB 1tb hdd with my wdtv live and it's fine to go back and forth to my PC whenever I download some new content :)

I think the play does support 5.1 Dolby mate but not dts although I could be wrong :)

Yeah I think you are right about the DTS :)

And that is great news about the extensions cheers pal, just wanted to make sure so I could do a format and get it filled up for her.

Cheers @jamesyboyjim Much appreciated!

Mick

Last edited:
Has anyone got one of these WD play boxes,

View attachment 77919

I bought the WD TV Play from @little_pob Bargain post here:

https://www.digitalworldz.co.uk/index.php?threads/384811/

but found out the WD TV Play does not support 5.1, so i gave it to my mum, and bought her a 1TB hard drive to put a few bits and pieces on, I plugged in a 1tb Hard Drive and the wd tv play straight away recognised the hard drive.

But I have now taken the hard drive back to mine and about to get it going but do I need to format the drive in any particular format IE fat32, ntfs, etc.

Or is the WD TV Play ok with a straight format in windows and then put your stuff on and away you go?

I searched to see what format the WDTV play supports for hard drives but could not find anything!

Thanks for any help :)

Mick

If it's like the live in that regard ntfs is fine mate, I use my USB 1tb hdd with my wdtv live and it's fine to go back and forth to my PC whenever I download some new content :)
I've used NTFS formatted HDD and memory sticks on my WD TV Play without issue.
I think the play does support 5.1 Dolby mate but not dts although I could be wrong :)
It can't decode surround sound, but it will "passthrough" 5.1, such as DTS and DTS-HD, to a receiver via the HDMI or optical connections.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks @little_pob, that explains allot.

Great little box though... was messing about with it yesterday as I set it up for her with my netflix login.

Honestly I much prefer the apple tv two version of netflix mind... but can't argue with what it can do with the costs!!!

Thanks again
Mick

Last edited:
Thanks @little_pob, that explains allot.

Great little box though... was messing about with it yesterday as I set it up for her with my netflix login.

Honestly I much prefer the apple tv two version of netflix mind... but can't argue with what it can do with the costs!!!

Thanks again
Mick

agreed, the netflix app isnt the best and can be pretty slow but its functional and works so it could be worse :)

thanx pob for you explination, that cleared it up for me aswell mate :)

Last edited by a moderator:
agreed, the netflix app isnt the best and can be pretty slow but its functional and works so it could be worse :)

thanks @little_pob for you explanation, that cleared it up for me aswell mate :)

Yeah i thought it was me, but the netflix speed is really slow compared to my apple...

But as said well worth it ;)

Mick

Back