Warranty Scam

kurgan

Member ++
Reaction score
BEWARE of ‘AMW/ RONIN / SIMPLY COMPUTERS’ warranty polices. My DVD Player is eight weeks old and has a fault with the control buttons on the front of the player. Apparently ‘I’ am responsible for postage and Insurance costs to the AMW / RONIN repair centre after 30 days of purchase! The seller, in my case 'SIMPLY COMPUTERS' (Counter Sales Wathamstow) tried to wash their hands of it, and their Customer Service Manager, a Mr Jim Bates originally said I had to deal direct with the ‘AMW / RONIN’ repair centre, as that was ‘their Stores policy’. I was then refused a refund or a replacement over the counter, despite having been kept waiting for nearly an hour to verify all this. I have subsequently discovered the fault with the player control buttons is common on many ‘AMW / RONIN’ players. After 15 years loyal custom, I will no longer to be using 'SIMPLY COMPUTERS', whos stores policy seems to ignore my statutory rights under 'The Sales of Goods Act 1979 - Section 14'. I have made further telephone complaints to ‘SIMPLY COMPUTERS’ (0870 National rate scam line complete with excessive queue delays), to PGE (RONIN/AMW parent company) and to the ‘AMW / RONIN’ repair centre. Between them they still can't sort out a quick replacement for me. As you can probably tell I've got the hump and my phone bill is soaring. I also discovered an apparently secret ‘SIMPLY COMPUTERS’ local rate ‘Customer Service’ number that is answered, but was refused service on it, and hung up on because I wouldn’t divulge where I got it! My emails to ‘SIMPLY COMPUTERS’ are either ignored or do not answer my complaint / questions. Hope this helps save some one else from suffering a similar fate, as it is ‘MY POLICY’ to expose these underhand methods of warranty dealings. Rant over.

if you bought as a retail customer (ie not on trade terms) then their POLICY aint worth jack.
You r covered under the Sale of Goods Act and can demand a refund on non-merchantilable goods - go to local trading standards or just threaten to - they'll soon give you a refund.

daing said:
if you bought as a retail customer (ie not on trade terms) then their POLICY aint worth jack.
You r covered under the Sale of Goods Act and can demand a refund on non-merchantilable goods - go to local trading standards or just threaten to - they'll soon give you a refund.
Couldn't have put it better myself. Once they see that you mean business and know your rights, they should soon back down.

if you paid by credit card take it up with them they should cover you

is that on all cards daing I'm sure my new one said any purchases and I don't remember reading a minimum.And yes threaten them with trading standards and when it appears u know ur stuff they'll give in,thats the usual thing anyway.Failing that a gallon of petrol and a zippo or a baseball bat or a real good one hide a fish in the store somewhere real good.

I agree, contact trading standards they will sh*t it, and give your money back or a new one. Then they will start to act all nice with you,

lets us no wat happens

go in and ask for the manager ask him if he will change it if he says no take out your mobile phone ring any number and ask to speak to detective sargent (whatever your second name is)in a loud voice and then say dad he stills says he will not change it..

RABP said:
go in and ask for the manager ask him if he will change it if he says no take out your mobile phone ring any number and ask to speak to detective sargent (whatever your second name is)in a loud voice and then say dad he stills says he will not change it..

yes ... i like that one ... lol

Got a replacement player today at no cost to me. It looks new but for some reason somebody has put my old serial number sticker on this one. I did report Simply Computers to Trading standards and told them so. Funnily enough they offered me a full refund or the 'repaired' player! If it goes wrong again who knows?

UPDATE!!!

Intermittent display fault - Got a full refund. Bought another for lower price of £42.99 (£7 cheaper) Got 12 months guarantee. Here we go again!

Back