wales abc1???

Shipoftheline said:
Viewing figures are massive too for BBC4 :Laugh:

Is that irony SOTL? :)

I'm all for minority channels why should everything have to appeal to everyone?

Give us choice not ratings!!

do-dee-do. anyways, moving swiftly on from this subject.

i belive the original thread was: wales abc1??? not The Old Men Debating Club :)

MA_2K5 said:
do-dee-do. anyways, moving swiftly on from this subject.

i belive the original thread was: wales abc1??? not The Old Men Debating Club :)

That's the thing with age MA - all that experience enables the mind to stretch far and wide and not be limited by trivial considerations like thread titles. ;) :)

hamba said:
Is that irony SOTL? :)

I'm all for minority channels why should everything have to appeal to everyone?

Give us choice not ratings!!
But thats one of the reasons we have a TV Licence isn't it to pay for the small viewing figures of a minority ;)

maybe when i'm old & grey, i'll be able to pass on my knowledge like you do. thanx hamba. :) (is there a smiley for sarcasm?)

also, SOTL, i don't like havin 2 pay TV license. damn those TV license people, if i had it my way, (which i will soon, mwahhahahahahaha :Chainsaw: , [that's meant 2 be an evil laugh by the way]), people would only have 2 pay their tv license fees if they watched BBC channels, otherwise they shouldn't have to.

Shipoftheline said:
But thats one of the reasons we have a TV Licence isn't it to pay for the small viewing figures of a minority ;)

I'm happy to pay the TV license for the choice and range of output from the BBC - not to mention providing the training and development for artists and craftspeople which feeds back into the industry.

Also I think it is good to maintain a public broadcasting corporation whose prime objective is not about making money.

yeah, ur rite hamba, sorry for my ignorance. it's just i'm really p*ssed off with broadcasters who charge for their services, like TUTV!!!! (luckily we've found a way around that :wink: )

hamba said:
I'm happy to pay the TV license for the choice and range of output from the BBC - not to mention providing the training and development for artists and craftspeople which feeds back into the industry.

Also I think it is good to maintain a public broadcasting corporation whose prime objective is not about making money.

I agree thats just it some people are happy with it because adverts wouldn't pay for something like BBC4 which is why everyone has too for the minority

MA_2K5 said:
yeah, ur rite hamba, sorry for my ignorance. it's just i'm really p*ssed off with broadcasters who charge for their services, like TUTV!!!! (luckily we've found a way around that :wink: )

Topup wont be we us forever. Channel 5 want the space back so when the agreement comes to an end bye bye topup

YES! this could possibly the best news i've ever heard. any news on what could be replacing it?

MA_2K5 said:
YES! this could possibly the best news i've ever heard. any news on what could be replacing it?
Donno but those channels belong to CH5 and they seem to be regretting letting them out to TOPUP. They underestimated how popular FREEview would be even bidding (millions) for the last free channel spot because TOPUP has their's for a couple more years.

BBC could gain another slot by using the new compression the other companies used. They arn't allowed to broadcast another channel but the money could go back into the BBC and we'd end up with another channel

cool! (i didnt understand a word of that techno-jargon, lol)

hamba said:

aint they making MILLIONS and the people at the top getting obscene wage packets

if its not about making money they should be an OPTIONAL fee, instead of demanding money backed up by the threat of menace from every household in the country

just my little bit :)

digidude said:
aint they making MILLIONS and the people at the top getting obscene wage packets

if its not about making money they should be an OPTIONAL fee, instead of demanding money backed up by the threat of menace from every household in the country

just my little bit :)

I see what you are saying - problem is all the people at the top get obscene wage packets: thats a problem of our whole society.

As for the fee, well lets face it, it's a tax. I would personally prefer it to be an income tax - based on ability to pay - but there's another society wide problem: indirect taxes - hits those who can least afford them.

hamba said:
I see what you are saying - problem is all the people at the top get obscene wage packets: thats a problem of our whole society.

They don't seem to be doing a very good job though do they. Thats the diffence with a private company and a public company

£3 billion a year and for what Skyone has a budget of £60 million, BBC1 £900 million feck

Shipoftheline said:
They don't seem to be doing a very good job though do they. Thats the diffence with a private company and a public company

£3 billion a year and for what Skyone has a budget of £60 million, BBC1 £900 million feck

Can't argue with you about that because I only have your say on those figures - not that I necessarily doubt you - but I don't have enough knowledge of the financial pros and cons. I do know that the BBC was cut to pieces in the mid nineties by business folks from the private sector - in order to make them more efficient. Brought about the same sort of results as Maggies work on the hospitals.

Not everything can be measured in terms of money.

hamba said:
Can't argue with you about that because I only have your say on those figures - not that I necessarily doubt you - but I don't have enough knowledge of the financial pros and cons. I do know that the BBC was cut to pieces in the mid nineties by business folks from the private sector - in order to make them more efficient. Brought about the same sort of results as Maggies work on the hospitals.

Not everything can be measured in terms of money.

You dont have necessarily doubt me its there for everyone to see although I notice they have changed it now to make it look better and hide the waste. This is what the muggins pay for (TV Licence my arse)

hxxp://www.bbc.co.uk/info/licencefee

Still seems like pretty good value to me although, as I said earlier, I would prefer it to be funded from income tax.

I'm afraid I am not very keen on private ownership of the media - too much power in too few hands.

hamba said:
Still seems like pretty good value to me although, as I said earlier, I would prefer it to be funded from income tax.

I'm afraid I am not very keen on private ownership of the media - too much power in too few hands.

I'm sure you think its fair and I can see why you think it would be better with it in the income tax too. If I had Sky paid for by everyone else I'd be happy. I don't watch or like the BBC though but still I'm expected to pay for the people who like watching/listening to it including those around the world who get it for FREE thanks to us!

I can also jiggle numbers about and make them look better. Those don't give out as much info as last years either ;)

In the 21st century you shouldn't be forced to have a licence to own a bloody tv set lol

Back