VPN question

melttc

DW Regular
Reaction score
Hello Guys

Never really thought about a VPN before so just want to know your thoughts on this and if anyone has any tips what to go for , are there any free ones and what are the advantages/disadvantages of having one.
Do this work for all my devices on the home network and does it support my mobile devices while out ect?

Thanks.

I use PIA and you can use it on up to five devices in or out of your home and you could share it with friends and family.
Bit of info here
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Never ever use free VPNs.
Express VPN is also another VPN to stay away from, although Express VPN is a paid for VPN there has been reports they have exposed users logs to authorities when pressure was put on them.
Would never use any other VPN other than PIA. They have been proven time and time again to cover your backside, the FBI attempted to get client logs from them and failed.
Me personally i use two VPNs.
PIA and surfshark, in that order. PIA over surfshark.
Both have kill switches.
Surfshark is fairly cheap and has “unlimited” logins, i have gave them logins to about 20 friends/family.
PIA now allows 10 logins @avid 🙂

Thanks guys i will need to check these options out

the only people saying you NEED a vpn are the people selling VPNs and most of there reasons are scaremongering or just plain old Bollocks.

Most people do not need a VPN just common sense, most browsers now use HTTPS, your email should be setup to use SSL/TLS, also employing the use of DNS over HTTPS. you banking app is probably using military grade encryption, so that must be 80% of the trafic encrypted, just dont use http or continue if there is a security cert issue. causon should be taken when connect to OPEN public hot spots

there are two things to consider there reason for the VPN, if you require security/privacy then the only VPN you can trust is one you own, a lot of routers now have VPN servers inbuilt and these will provide the highest security when using public hotpots, then investing in a VPN capable device such as a raspberry PI.

The second reason is to bypass region locks/restrictions imposed by your ISP then a paid VPN service is an option but i would not recommend them for security as you have no way of knowing if someone is snooping or tunaling back to your connected device.

I use mine occasionally for torrents and geo locked content. Also came in handy when eye pea tv was blocked.

Back