Voltage and Amps

fatspanner

Inactive User
Reaction score
Just sold my PAP2 adapter on ebay then realised that the mains adapter must have been in a bag full of cables i flogged at the car boot last week, i could kick myself!!

The PAP2 requires an adapter of 5V DC 2A. What other rating chargers might work??

I think i rememer something around it must not exceed the amp rating as it may blow the device. I have loads hanging around the house including one 5V DC 3.2A but don't want to try it just incase i feck it up.

Cheers

Last edited:
Thanks

Cheers guys

It wasn't a 5v, it was a 6v i had lying around. Tried it but lights just flash on the once and nothing.

So anything 5v with higher amps.

Nozzer, are the watts simply calculated V x A,
so for e.g a 4v 3a adapter is 12 watts, and would it work??

been a long time but i think it

Watts = Amps x Volts

Thanks

Cheers guys

It wasn't a 5v, it was a 6v i had lying around. Tried it but lights just flash on the once and nothing.

this sounds like youve fried it m8 :(

lol, my thinking too.

But it flashes the once each time i put the 6v in. so i'm guessing theres still life in it yet :proud:

like a body that still jumps when 1000v is pumped into it m8? lol

still dead though

hope it still works for you though, hopefully the extra 1V aint enough to damage the protection citcuits of it

I would think it highly unlikely that a 6v power supply would blow anything in the PAP2. I would think it more likely that the 6Volt supply you have is a low amperage, therefore the output would drop towards zero when connected. Is there an LED on the 6v power supply ? if so, does it almost go out when connected to the PAP2.

Last edited:
Thanks

Cheers guys

Yes, W = VA. So, 6 * 2 = 12 Watts

So, you need a 12W (or better) 6V power supply.

In most cases, the input will go straight into a voltage regulator circuit to produce the different rails required inside the device - typically 5V, 3.3V & 2V (either one of or any combination of). For a simple regulator a 4v supply will be insufficient and you wont get anything at all out of the 5V rail. You usually need at least 1v above the required internal voltage.

Back