ViX Team Vu+ Duo Image v2.1 and Network Mount Qnap Server - Vu Duo

skinz

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Has anyone managed to network mount their vu to their server yet ??? I wanted to be able to watch movies without copying them anywhere.

I have managed to mount my usb, create a swap file, save epg to usb, mounted external hard drive for recording and reassigning the long press buttons to my liking using Quickepg but i can not get this network to mount.

I have been trying for a few days and keep getting connection errors using both network browser and mount manager.

Thanks

Last edited:
forgot to mention I can get in to show in auto mount viewer but although I have a green tick on the right hand side, there is a red cross in the left hand side

Dunno about on the Vu boxes, but on some of the images for the DMs, it needs a user/pass set, even if there isn't one set on the NAS.

Had this on my ReadyNAS.

Thanks for the reply Dazza,

Yep I have a password on my NAS, also I have turned on the NFS server built in the NAS and I can see the Shares in Network Mount Manager but it still will not mount, I tried using the NFS and CIFS setting in the Vu Network Mount.

I am beginning to think it may be a service on my server that will not stop. I don’t think the issue is with the Vu but rather server side. I will try and stop everything on it as over the weekend I removed everything but forgot to remove MySQl and tried to mount with at-least that service running. I get an error in the server log showing connection failed with the ip of the box and port number.
I seem to remember when I built the raid array it would not mount until I had stopped everything running ????

Gave up on Sunday – remembered this, this morning – funny how ideas come when u least expect them too. Will give it another bash when I get home 
This is a belting box though, Cheers again for the reply mate

I think you need CIFS share set up make sure it has share permissions with a user name and password.

Use Network Browser (under Network) browse to your NAS and the folder for the recordings.

This path (UNC) will then appear in the Mount Manager and then add the user name and pwd.

That's it.

I've got it working on a Netgear ReadyNAS NV+ and a QuNap NAS.

Last edited:
Managed to get it working using CIFS, you have to specify a username and password but I was just wasting time looking for what was wrong. I was right to believe it was server side, stupid me didn’t look until last night to see the connection logs, My VU IP was banned lol, Unbanned the IP and bobs your uncle :proud:

Overall am happy with it. However I noticed a bit of stuttering using avi files, not sure why but I have read that CIFS is not as fast a protocol compared to NFS. But all my pc’s are connected via CIFS/SAMBA so this is probably the best way keeping everything uniform and I can see all the PC’s on the VU too.
But for anyone else trying it – I noticed that the Red Cross does not change in mount manager if it works. You have to manually go to media manager or file browser and see if you can see the share. Also don’t forget to see if your IP has been banned DOH ??? Wasted a couple of days on this so I am sure I will never make this mistake again :proud:
I also noticed that media manager is a bit slow maybe due to the number of files it has too read before opening, File browser is much quicker and if you are setting up your NAS then use file manager to check if the connection / mount was made.
I also noticed that avi’s do not seem to play using media manager, MP4’s do but using file manager I was able to play avi’s so no real issue
The thing I did notice is that I can not change the recording paths to the NAS but that’s not really an issue for me as I have a 500 GB external drive connected for direct recording from the VU, Just need to take backups of all images and settings now :proud:
So all in all I am very happy with this box, I can not believe how many things you can do with this box, by the way this is my first proper box barring the backward openboxes I am using for freeview.
I am watching TV locally and via the net, watching recordings from the Nas, recording to external drive, it has been fairly easy to setup, I have not had to use a Linux command at all setting this box up, everything is user friendly the only thing that got me was the menu items especially for network and hard drive as there are at least 3 places for it, in settings and in the VIX menu. Can be a bit confusing getting used to where all the things are, like at the moment I have the irritating voice that is used by people with issues with their vision.
So watching EastEnders (YES I know) last night I was getting things like “Phil walks towards the door”, anyone know how I can remove this – can’t seem to find a setting for it lol
I do get some green screens though and have started removing most plugins such as VLC as you don’t really need it with the stock tools available within the VIX Image like media manager and file browser
So lastly thanks to everyone whose information I have read over the last 6 months or so, I installed everything myself from installing the dish using dishpointer on android, wiring all the rooms, reading about equipment, flashing etc etc from here @ DW :proud: Cheers guys, now to move onto anther project somewhere round the house lol that hopefully will not take as long as this one has.

Thanks for the replies Porche and Dazza

OK I found out why I was getting the audio narrative, to disable it press AUDIO and change the setting from MPEG to AC3

you have to do this for every channel you have this with as it is not a global setting

Back