vista home basic or xp home

pritesh

Inactive User
Reaction score
hi im about to buy a new pc soon and can either go for vista home basic or xp home. i can get them both for exactly the same price so its more for stability wise.

I'd take XP Home.

Vista is just still too buggy. I only know two friends personally that have it and both have had issues. Both have had issues with software compatability and one has had problems getting networking to work even though their XP machine went straight on to the network without having to do anything more than plug the LAN cable in.

Also, Vista Home Basic is one I see people being told to avoid too and go for at least Vista Home Premium.

Ditto... go for XP Home.
I dont know anyone who installed Vista and kept it on :)
they all put XP back.

I would advise vista if your pc and hardware can support it.

Whilst it is true that in the beginning Vista had very poor driver support, this is now looking very strong.

The RTM versions that are now in circulation are not actually riddled with bugs as the mass hype media would lead you to beleive. The issue with Vista is drivers, it will work fine out of the box but might not support your graphics card, sound card or any other bit of added hardware in your pc like webcams etc.

Before I installed, I checked my hardware was supported. All of it bar my printer was so I went ahead anyway and havent had any problems with the OS itself, but have with things like Skype and Nokia PC Suite - but thats not Vistas fault.

If the new PC support Vista, probably best to go with the new over the old...

i agree with karym6 and go with vista, it has drivers for almost everything in and xp is going to start getting phased out from next year so it'll be as much use as '98 in a bit

Do you get the CD or does it come pre installed?

If you get the CD get Vista, if pre install get XP.

Get XP mate, Vista has a lot of software compatibility issues.

Vista will be useable in 2 years time from now.

Id ignore the vista and home id get the best cpu ram and wipe it and put ex pro on wouldnt really matter which u get go for the cpu and ramm and how big tft just my opinion why would you even keep vista home when you can download ultimate for free :mad:)

get the best specs worry about what your gonna run afterwards there all free of freindly people on this site

sorry krazy mate i agree with witchy on this vista has lots of incompatablilites with it ,still i like the look of vista , but with the transfamation pack s out 7.0 u can get that feature , u will find it hard getting a lap top with xp on it now , if u read some of the threads n posts reguarding peoples problems with vista , might make ur mind up mate , i have vista for 6 months gettin to grips with it , and i got rid , just my opinion , its up to u in the end mate

hi thanks for the advice, il be running a intel core 2 duo 2.33 ghz with 2gb of ram. done a bit of reading and most sites are saying that home basic is pretty crappy so will go for xp home. @mistamerlin i get the cd with it but like i said before i read that home basic hasnt really got any great features that set it apart from xp. so should i just go for xp home and try a copy of vista? or should i still get vista on cd?

l got a new pc from dell the other day and asked for xp pro to be put on it .. hate vista and dont think l will use it again for some time .. maybe when sp2 is here in a year or so

Last edited:
seriously guys, there is nothing wrong with Vista.

I use both vista and xp, vista is driver support is growing almost daily.

Essentially, if you are unsure about using a new os that will be supported for the next 7 years or so and would prefer to stick with an older os that does not offer the same level of functionality and is being scaled back for support, then go with xp.

However, if you want the best of whats on offer from an os and want to keep ahead, choose vista.

The only people who should be choosing xp now are big companies who have volume license agreements. The average people like us should go with the best on offer - and from Microsoft that definitely vista.

It is similar to saying "I will stick to VHS as I am not comfortable using DVD's".

However, if you want to take a break from windows, try Ubuntu linux - even better :)

@karym6 what im asking about is vista home basic not vista home premium, ultimate, ect. quite a few places have said that home basic is less functional then xp home. what version of vista re you running?

@karym6 what im asking about is vista home basic not vista home premium, ultimate, ect. quite a few places have said that home basic is less functional then xp home. what version of vista re you running?

Hmm, interesting. At home I use Vista ultimate and home basic (on a laptop). At work its mainly Vista Business and XP pro.

However, I do not honestly feel there is any lack of functionality with vista home basic - everything you need as a basic home user is there. In fact, vista works faster for me than win xp home on the same laptop (I used win xp home on it when I first got it as not all the devices supported vista at the time).

Unless you really need the 3d thing (which I never use) or powershell (which is available seperately for free) or a webserver, then you dont need much more than vista basic as it is just like a newer version of xp.

do you have the option of trying out key functions before you choose the os?

i did a bit more reading and found out the differences between home basic and the other versions. home premium has stuff like media centre and movie maker but after thinking for a few minutes i decided that im not actually ever going to use any of the added features that home premium has.

The only thing i do want thought is the aero theme but found it you can enable it by changing the registry. do you find the home basic is just as stable as home premium, obviously with all updates, drivers, ect?

i cant actually try out vista (if i choose it) as it comes pre installed with the pc but i also get the installation cd.

i dont use home premium, only ultimate and business.

ultimate is stable, tbh it has not given me any problems since i installed it a few months ago.

the only real problem was driver support - but this has improved over time. Most people wont have very many applications they want to run that are not vista compatible and vista itself is more stable than xp. Plus, you get a 64bit version with more driver suppor than xp64.

The only fripe i have with vista is that I cant get a driver for a mini a7 printer I use. It starts up in about 30 seconds and has never hung on me yet. The annoying thing about it is that it asks you if you want to do something all the time as a security thing.

as you say, you wont get aero with basic - but your not missing anything.

if you can afford it, get ultimate as you do get monthly extras (now) from MS that you dont get with any other version.

you could download a hooky copy, but whats the point in getting a rootkit like that installed? :)

the oem version costs just over a £100, so if you really want everything legally, get that after using basic for a while.

thanks, im going to check to make sure that the hardware i have will work with vista and check that the software i use will also work. i might have a few more questions before i fully make up my mind.

no worries, when i got vista i spent ages making sure that I had all the correct driver support.

in the end I was fine, as by the time I got it most companies had caught up. With my work stuff, it wasnt important that we had drivers - just that our security supported it (different story)

for home users, its fine. At work, its not ready to be used by all.

Back