ISP Virgin Still The Best ?

Just run a test on hardwired pc

Using laptop I get around 27mb but im quite far away from router so thats going to make a difference too

Went for PlusNet over BT Infinity for the static IP, average over 60mb download and 18ish upload. I am very close to the cabinet, though.

You must have one heck of a great wifi connection mate, I get that sort of speed with wired only

When they are good they are good. When they are bad, they are bad!

4985488272.png
5114422460.png

Attachments

• 4985488272.png
    4985488272.png
    31 KB · Views: 27
My laptop don't have AC I'm using ASUS RT-66U router... Looking for something more powerful as VPN can be slow.

My laptop don't have AC I'm using ASUS RT-66U router... Looking for something more powerful as VPN can be slow.
I think the ac56u is great value for money you can also get a decent wireless card like the intel ac7260,there are probably better options available but it works well for me

Replacement cards are less than I thought, thanks for the heads up might look at replacing the Qualcomm Atheros AR5BWB222 in my laptop at some stage.

been using VM from their telewest days. hands-down the BEST isp in the uk for speed/stability.
probably had a downtime of 3-4 days in total over 20-odd years.

i found their 200mb service to be unreliable so downgraded to 100mb. it was a free upgrade since i was on their 150mb.

best practice is to use the VM modem in modem mode and get a proper router.. been very impressed with asus and tp-link (and open-wrt firmware is amazing).

i use a bsd pf firewall running on a low power baytrail motherboard, and a wireless AC router on my network just for the wireless work, not the wan gateway, my bsd-box handles that.

- - - Updated - - -

Replacement cards are less than I thought, thanks for the heads up might look at replacing the Qualcomm Atheros AR5BWB222 in my laptop at some stage.

double and triple check what is whitelisted for your laptop... the intel ac7260 is really good and it is cheap on the bay BUT the worst thing is buying it and your laptop not booting with it in, 'cos then your wifi 'feels' slower and you won't rest until you can get your card and laptop to play together and that can take weeks if you have to get a custom bios for it.

been using VM from their telewest days. hands-down the BEST isp in the uk for speed/stability.
probably had a downtime of 3-4 days in total over 20-odd years.

i found their 200mb service to be unreliable so downgraded to 100mb. it was a free upgrade since i was on their 150mb.

best practice is to use the VM modem in modem mode and get a proper router.. been very impressed with asus and tp-link (and open-wrt firmware is amazing).

i use a bsd pf firewall running on a low power baytrail motherboard, and a wireless AC router on my network just for the wireless work, not the wan gateway, my bsd-box handles that.

- - - Updated - - -

double and triple check what is whitelisted for your laptop... the intel ac7260 is really good and it is cheap on the bay BUT the worst thing is buying it and your laptop not booting with it in, 'cos then your wifi 'feels' slower and you won't rest until you can get your card and laptop to play together and that can take weeks if you have to get a custom bios for it.

Thank you for a well constructed reply. You sound very knowledgeable and would suggest starting a thread talking about the basics you know. 13 post since sep 2011 is well low. Lets get you talking :)

Would have to agree that VM are the best option (if they service your area). I can honestly say I have had about 3 or 4 days of no service in about 16 years with them. The free speed upgrades are great but then when they charge you extra £££ a month or two later it feels like what they have given you for free is taken away again :)

It looks as if the information I would have posted has already been posted here (throttling now reduced etc). However...

Virgin are nothing special, i.e. I don't feel they have an exceptional service. It is pricey but at least it works and I can agree that downtime is rare (and there is a web page to check for any information on their services). There's the occasional minor issue but I don't think it is to do with them specifically (probably more due to setups etc).

If you would like to change to them, I have nothing against them and as yet have nothing to disagree with that (i.e. I have no complaints apart from the price). :)

Regarding the connection itself, it all depends on the infrastructure in your area. Most wires etc should be upgraded these days rather than using wires that have been sitting in your nearest junction box for many years getting old and degrading. I have noticed where one ISP may not work well for a user, may work better with another ISP due to the way their connection is routed etc.
If you use the same connection into the house with another ISP and there is no difference, it could be a problem indoors or with the wire going into your house from the road.

Regarding using their default supplied router as a modem, I have yet to do this so I cannot comment but I have been keen to look at doing that. I doubt I will though as I still have yet to do so. :p

ROBsLab :cool:.

Back