virgin + newsgroup slowwwwwwwww

Thanks mate.

Oi Phawk, stop wasting my time! ;)

:)

lol but but

i have a network meter installed and can use that to see what my speed is ,,funny just done a test download and now getting my 48mb download ,so it is looking like it's the Quality-of-Service cap that is holding my download speed to 2mb ,

will try again on Saturday when the Quality-of-Service cap is back on and see what the speed is like then

take note of the time of this post it after 12 so no Quality-of-Service cap

Last edited:
just made a post to ngroup and this is the reply i got back ,so there are going to try and sort it ,,do not hold much hope

Update: Ok... Strange that they are able to cap downloads via SSL on port 80, since that port shouldn't be capped, and when using SSL they can't sniff what kind of traffic it is.

And do I understand correctly that the number of connections used doesn't affect your download speed either?

I will ask the engineers if there is any other port we can offer for SSL, but I don't think that can be implemented, if at all, until after the weekend.

2nd update

I have sent a question to the engineers regarding any other alternate port for SSL. Preferably one used for some other kind of service using SSL, like smtps, pop3s, or something like that. But I'm not sure it's at all possible to add another alternate. We'll see what they say.

it might help if other members who are using ngroup send a Support ticket asking the same thing

I'm on giganews, tried 443 with SSL, port 80 and both are throttled. My guess is that they know its usenet traffic, not because they are inspecting the data, but because they know the source IP address of where the connection is and seeing as there are a limited number of binary Usenet servers, it would be easy enough for them to throttle any traffic from those IP addresses.

when you are throttled oneman what speed are you getting ? ,what speed is you internet ?

to take a 50mb line and put it down to 2mb is way past a joke ,i have been reading that it gets throttled
to 10mb which is not as bad ,still not good but just not as bad as 2mb

phawk754 said:
but but

i have a network meter installed and can use that to see what my speed is ,,funny just done a test download and now getting my 48mb download ,so it is looking like it's the Quality-of-Service cap that is holding my download speed to 2mb ,

will try again on Saturday when the Quality-of-Service cap is back on and see what the speed is like then

take note of the time of this post it after 12 so no Quality-of-Service cap

??

What has any of that got to do with the thread count on Usenet? :)

lol

You said you could max out your Usenet connection with a single thread, something I have never seen in all my years using Usenet (since approx 1995). ;)

when you are throttled oneman what speed are you getting ? ,what speed is you internet ?

to take a 50mb line and put it down to 2mb is way past a joke ,i have been reading that it gets throttled
to 10mb which is not as bad ,still not good but just not as bad as 2mb

normally down to around 12mb to 15mb (still quicker then most peoples BB on ADSL) but today was not bad, did a download at 11:00 and was getting 25mb according to SABNZBD,

Completed at 23:00:47 on Friday 12 November 2010
Download:
Downloaded in 10 minutes 25 seconds at an average of 2.47 MB/s

I think he said he was getting 2mb on one connection and 2mb on all his connections witchy

No he said he max'ed out at 2mb using a single thread.

2MB for a single Usenet thread is something I've never encountered.

No he said he max'ed out at 2mb using a single thread.

2MB for a single Usenet thread is something I've never encountered.

Think we might have have crossed a wire somewhere mate or you been drinking..lol

My broadband speed is 50mb

My normal average download speed from newsgroups was 45-48mb with 20 connections

but as of 3 days ago my maximum speed has been 2mb with 30 connections

i have tried one connection, five connections, 10 connections,etc and still only get 2mb

after reading various websites I come to the conclusion that it is Quality-of-Service cap
that is restricting me to this 2mb download speed and nothing to do with my pc or newsgroup provide

So I started this post to find out if there is a trick to get round this Quality-of-Service cap

But I am afraid it's not looking good

I hope this clears it up for you.....lol

think vermin have stuffed us all tbh , whats the point in having 50m bb and not getting what we want when we want. I received a letter the other day from vermin saying i need to control my bandwidth as i am hogging the service !!! please can i restrict my upload/downloads outside of 9am-9pm !!!!!!!!!!! what a fookin joke they can stick their 50 meg where the sun dont shine.

Just done a test.

Using newsleecher and astraweb.

Using 1 connection/tread I am getting a constant 5 meg. (This is about the fastest I can get from 1 tread and astraweb)
Using 10 connections/treads I am getting 47 megs. (any more connections and it would be pointless)

I haven't downloaded anything today so I may not have triggered the cap.

I have a PC setup just for downloading and it only runs overnight so I never get capped normally.

Think we might have have crossed a wire somewhere mate or you been drinking..lol

Correct on both counts. ;)

I was thinking this myself last night but ended up too drunk to reply. :)

Just done a test.

Using newsleecher and astraweb.

Using 1 connection/tread I am getting a constant 5 meg. (This is about the fastest I can get from 1 tread and astraweb)
Using 10 connections/treads I am getting 47 megs. (any more connections and it would be pointless)

I haven't downloaded anything today so I may not have triggered the cap.

I have a PC setup just for downloading and it only runs overnight so I never get capped normally.

Well you got until midday to download at full speed then after that is anybodies guess until midnight. There have been evenings when I have still been able to get full 50mb but they are getting rarer.

I've got another 8 months of my contract to fulfil before I can cancel my 50mb, it's a waste of money imo. I signed up just as they started talking about traffic managing it. :(

I've got another 8 months of my contract to fulfil before I can cancel my 50mb, it's a waste of money imo. I signed up just as they started talking about traffic managing it. :(

If you are mainly downloading from newsgroups and are OK download overnight (10gb blu-ray = 1 1/4 hours to download, 5 GB DVD = 45 minutes, 1.5GB TV show = 15 minutes) then that might make sense.

Don't forget there are volume download caps between 9am and 3pm & 4pm and 9pm so if you watch a lot of streamed media that might be an issue.

TBH, with 100mb round the corner I don't know how pricing and caps are going to work out in 8 months time.

well why would anyone bother paying for a 50mb or 100 mb package if they can't do anything with it?

i think they will end up having to rethink their strategy as i can see them losing money on it.

If you are mainly downloading from newsgroups and are OK download overnight (10gb blu-ray = 1 1/4 hours to download, 5 GB DVD = 45 minutes, 1.5GB TV show = 15 minutes) then that might make sense.

Don't forget there are volume download caps between 9am and 3pm & 4pm and 9pm so if you watch a lot of streamed media that might be an issue.

TBH, with 100mb round the corner I don't know how pricing and caps are going to work out in 8 months time.

but the point is why pay for 50mb and then download at night ,better of getting 20mb and then downloading at night ,,i feel i have been rip of by virgin media

but the point is why pay for 50mb and then download at night ,better of getting 20mb and then downloading at night ,,i feel i have been rip of by virgin media

Exactly. I want 50Mbps when *I* want to use it.

It's laughable. Could we ask for termination of contract due to them no longer providing the service and limitations which were in place when we signed the contract?

I am agreeing with you that if you can hold off your downloads till overnight then go for 20mb service. Just be aware there is a download cap if you do a lot of video streaming as well.

i was thinking the same thing ,I did not sign anything when i update to 50mb and xxl tv

so where is there proof

i was thinking the same thing ,I did not sign anything when i update to 50mb and xxl tv

so where is there proof

if was agreed over the phone, then it will be stored electronically as loads of companies record all conversations for such legalities.

Back