virgin + newsgroup slowwwwwwwww

phawk754

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
from what i have been reading there are now slowing down all p2p & newsgroup ports

from what i have seen of it today i am lucky to get 2mb download speed from my 50mb modem

i have been told using port 443 with ssl on is one way of getting round this ,has anyone tried this and did it work ?

i use ngroups and there do not have port 443 with ssl ,so would like to know if this work so i can move to a new newsgroup

or has anyone find a better way round it ,

can not move isp as i am in a contract with them

i have not sign anything ,so might be able to get out off it ,might have to look in to that

cheers for reading and for any help

I use port 80 on Ngroups.

But someone said that it doesn't matter what port we use as they can see what protocol the packets are using. Kinda renders SSL useless does it not? :err:

I'm with Virgin and Astroweb and i allways max out my 10meg connection as long as i stick to the no capping times

443 is fine, 563, the other SSL port is shagged

cheers for the reply look like i am going to have to move newsgroup then as ngroup only has the 443 port for none ssl and that only give me 2mb :-( s**** lol

But someone said that it doesn't matter what port we use as they can see what protocol the packets are using. Kinda renders SSL useless does it not? :err:

i think ssl encrypts the data in the packets, whereas normal traffic can be easily read

i was thinking the same thing mate not a lot of good ,let hope there is a way round it doing my head in downloading at 2mb ,,like going back in time and having Dial-up again

mmm where did i put that 56k modem .........lol

i think ssl encrypts the data in the packets, whereas normal traffic can be easily read

Well yes, but someone on here said that Virgin could monitor even SSL packets, they were not interested in the contents, they just wanted to know if it was Usenet traffic.

SSL can be hacked, but would Virgin be interested, why bother?

just made a post to ngroup and this is the reply i got back ,so there are going to try and sort it ,,do not hold much hope

Update: Ok... Strange that they are able to cap downloads via SSL on port 80, since that port shouldn't be capped, and when using SSL they can't sniff what kind of traffic it is.

And do I understand correctly that the number of connections used doesn't affect your download speed either?

I will ask the engineers if there is any other port we can offer for SSL, but I don't think that can be implemented, if at all, until after the weekend.

2nd update

I have sent a question to the engineers regarding any other alternate port for SSL. Preferably one used for some other kind of service using SSL, like smtps, pop3s, or something like that. But I'm not sure it's at all possible to add another alternate. We'll see what they say.

it might help if other members who are using ngroup send a Support ticket asking the same thing

Last edited:
And do I understand correctly that the number of connections used doesn't affect your download speed either?

Most Usenet providers I've used limit each connection, so increasing the number of connections will increase your speed.

Last edited:
Most Usenet providers I've use limit each connection, so increasing the number of connections will increase your speed.

but it not he newgroup that has put a limit on it ,it's virgin with this Quality-of-Service cap

i can use one connection and get 2mb ,i can use 30 connection and still only get 2mb

but it not he newgroup that has put a limit on it ,it's virgin with this Quality-of-Service cap

i can use one connection and get 2mb ,i can use 30 connection and still only get 2mb

Fecking hell, what Usenet provider are u with?

I have never been able to max out any of my Usenet providers with a single connection. :(

Fecking hell, what Usenet provider are u with?

I have never been able to max out any of my Usenet providers with a single connection. :(

same one as you witchy ngroup mate ,,,,

before this Quality-of-Service cap i was getting 47--48mb but it now gone to crap,,

going to stay up untill after 12 just to see if my speed get any better when the Quality-of-Service cap stops

sabnzdb...

Aaaah!

I could be wrong here (probably am) but doesn't SabNZB only display the current download as a single item, it doesn't show you the many thread which make up the download.

Thread = connection.

I've not used SabNZB for about 6 months as I switched back to Newsbin Pro.

I know that adding extra downloads to SabNZB doesn't make the download any faster as the number of concurrent threads is already maxing the download capacity.

Aaaah!

I could be wrong here (probably am) but doesn't SabNZB only display the current download as a single item, it doesn't show you the many thread which make up the download.

Thread = connection.

I've not used SabNZB for about 6 months as I switched back to Newsbin Pro.

I know that adding extra downloads to SabNZB doesn't make the download any faster as the number of concurrent threads is already maxing the download capacity.

if you click on an active item it goes into a detailed screen mode which shows each connection

if you click on an active item it goes into a detailed screen mode which shows each connection

I don't have it installed mate, so does it have multiple connections running at once?

I don't have it installed mate, so does it have multiple connections running at once?

yep it seems so, and I got it wrong before, you have to go to config->connections, it shows all active connections working on the same part of a RAR

yep it seems so, and I got it wrong before, you have to go to config->connections, it shows all active connections working on the same part of a RAR

Thanks mate.

Oi Phawk, stop wasting my time! ;)

:)

Back