Vintage computer repair - Amstrad CPC 464

Purity

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Is anyone familar with CPC 464 repairs specifically tape drive issues?

Agreed. The majority of tape problems could be cured by replacing the drive belt, the pinch roller and cleaning the tape heads and tape path.

It's a bit of an odd issue. I've posted a video below.

Basically when I try to load a tape and press a key the Play button pops back up, or the tape spindles do not turn

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

It's been a lifetime since I worked on a tape deck but I seem to recall a latching mechanism for the play function. Think it was a plastic latch actuated by a small spring and was on the other side of the deck.

Just to add that if the loading process isn't completed fully it won't latch. A slightly stretched belt will cause that. You can assist the loading process by turning the loading gear by hand. Once the mechanism latches the capstan will start to rotate. That would indicate worn belts.

Forgive me ignornce on this, what am I turning? And this is when Play is pressed?

In the first part of the video I can press Play and you can see the small cog slightly turning. If I press stop and the try and press play again, the button just won't press in and I think as you say at this point it doesn't latch

At 51secs in the video I again can press play but as soon as I press a key on the computer, the play button depresses

Yes, press play with no power and turn the cog in the centre of the deck till the right hand capstan starts to rotate and the cog stops turning. This should put it in the fully latched position.

The only reasons to stop it from latching itself would be worn belts, dodgy capstan motor or teeth missing in one of the cogs which would put the mechanism out of alignment. Maybe why you are getting that grinding sound. If that is the case you wouldn't be able to load the mechanism manually either.
Check the other side of it mate.

Ok, thanks. Based on the way the centre white cog rotates I should move it anti-clockwise and then see if the spindle turns until the white cog does not move anymore.

1683053343093.png

Once this is locked, apply power and try and see if it runs?

There's not a lot to see on the other side of the tape player as it's covered by a motherboard:

This is an image of the other side:

1683053482437.png

That's your loading belt in the last image. If you were to remove that it is likely no longer round and has adopted the shape it is now. I wouldn't be surprised if that isn't your only problem.
No need to apply power if you are able to fully load the mechanism manually. It is only a test to make sure there is nothing impeding it.

I've replaced the belt, and also taken another video with the circuit board moved away.

I'm still not able to identify what is causing the issue.

Turning the small white cog in the center, slowly turns the tape spool wheel when in the play position. Nothing locks as far as i can see

I'm sure I know that fault but it's been too many years. You can see the slots where the record and play levers should latch on the latch bar but I don't remember the sequence. There is a clutch underneath the white idler wheel but I don't think that's the cause. It's as though there is a spring missing or something.
The latch bar almost seems to be going beyond the point needed for the keys to latch.

Apparently the issue is potentially the auto-stop mechanism triggering when it shouldn't. Not found out how that mechanism works yet to see if this is indeed the problem and what might be causing it

I just watched this video posted above at position 9:45, and I can see that the white wedge plastic bit in between the heads moves from a slightly left position to straight.

Mine does not move at all. It stays in exactly the same position. This apparently measures the tension on the tape and is what stops the tape when it gets to the end. If it's gunked up or not moving freely it will cause exactly this issue. That clicking sound is it half engaging.

How to solve that...no idea as yet

Great news, this is now fixed!

There were 3 issues altogether. First one was that the auto stop was jammed. Manually moving this fixed the tape play issue.

Next there was no sound coming from the tape drive. I reflowed the solder in the "sound in" section of the tape PCB and was then able to hear sound and load a tape ok

Whilst I was doing all of this the main power button decided to fail, so I took that apart and cleaned it, put it back together and all working again :)

Back