Viewing DBOX on media centre? (without card)

Colin

Inactive User
Reaction score
Is it possible to do this? just using the ethernet feed? im guessing no i tried something from the download section tuxbox or something but couldnt get that working at all

at the moment the only option to get the dbox working with windows MCE is to use a pvr card and take the input from the dbox scart into the card (usually s-video).

Network connection would be fantastic - as PT-1 says 'all' that is needed is a BDA driver - now, how to go about that - who knows! Would take someone much smarter than I for sure!

Try GBPVR as they produce a DBox plugin to do exactly what you want.

gbpvr.com...?

GBPVR and Media Portal both have plugins to work with the dbox over ethernet... Not tried any as I use MCE, but they should be worth a go unless you are set on MCE (I use MCE so that I can use my 360 as an extender)

Hi Bob! Do you use your 360 on wireless or do you have it hard wired to your network?

I have a wireless G network and performance can be patchy!

I have mine wired direct to the router - pretty crazy setup in my house... I have a media centre pc and 2 dbox's in the loft, and a router in the spare room feeding all 3... then I have a monitor and the media centre ir blaster in my room (with a bluetooth keyboard and mouse) and a wired connection from my router down to the 360 in the living room...

Have another network port in the spare room too so any guests can plug in there and get access to my movies, music, tv etc (I have an old xbox 1 with extender in the cupboard too)

I used to use wireless to the old xbox and it worked just fine tho...

- pretty crazy setup in my house...

;-)

I have 2x Xbox with Xbmc (1x in the lounge and one in the bedroom)
1x GBPVR running on a XP Box with a Haupauge DVB-T Card
1x 400GB USB Drive connected to above Box
1x Buffalo Linkstation 160GB via Lan running TwonkyVision Upnp
1x Buffalo Linkstation 320GB via Lan
1x Haupauge MVP running of the GBPvr in my little Girls room
1x PC running MCE 2005 in the Kitchen
1x Dbox Sat in lounge with IDE IF

1x Fritz!Box to receive my Sip Calls via Internet and Landline Calls and incoming calls show on both XBoxes & Dbox ;-)

;-)

I have 2x Xbox with Xbmc (1x in the lounge and one in the bedroom)
1x GBPVR running on a XP Box with a Haupauge DVB-T Card
1x 400GB USB Drive connected to above Box
1x Buffalo Linkstation 160GB via Lan running TwonkyVision Upnp
1x Buffalo Linkstation 320GB via Lan
1x Haupauge MVP running of the GBPvr in my little Girls room
1x PC running MCE 2005 in the Kitchen
1x Dbox Sat in lounge with IDE IF

1x Fritz!Box to receive my Sip Calls via Internet and Landline Calls and incoming calls show on both XBoxes & Dbox ;-)

Wait for this I have.... a dbox and a tv :p

Apparently you can get what you want done with MythTV. Ive got a lovely setup running for my DVB-T box however i cant get the plugin running for the Dbox2. Just a metter of getting it to take the channel list but its all done with a MySQL database and i havent had time to really study it yet.

At least its another option for you if you fancy going the Linux way.

I tried and tried to get myth working, and on one of the prev builds I cracked it - but in the newer build the dbox plug in appears to be broken - I got it recording and changing channel, but live tv didnt work and it wouldnt play the recordings - even though I could play them in an external player - it's like the codec wasnt installed for mplayer, but it worked outside of myth...

In the end I chose the easy option and went to MS MCE - worked first time and let me add on the 360 as a bonus. (xbox 1 as a myth extender was very slow)

Apparently you can get what you want done with MythTV. Ive got a lovely setup running for my DVB-T box however i cant get the plugin running for the Dbox2. Just a metter of getting it to take the channel list but its all done with a MySQL database and i havent had time to really study it yet.

At least its another option for you if you fancy going the Linux way.

GBPvr needs no Maual List adding and it is win32

GBPvr needs no Maual List adding and it is win32

I have to say after reading this thread, I went and got GBPvr and set it all up, and it seems to do the job perfectly for me, I was looking for something to use as a PVR but never got around to researching it.

It was fairly easy to set up although I was getting annoyed because it was saying my dbox wasnt recognised, but I hadnt noticed the box had crashed, so that was easily solved!

I scheduled a program to record and sure enough it changed the channel for me and recorded it, going to give it a proper test tonight when I'm not about, but all is looking great, now to set up my pc so I can play them back via VLC file....

GBPvr playes the recordings and you can also set it up so it converts into Divx

can you get an xbox or 360 or anything to work as an extender tho (other than the Hauppauge Media MVP?)

I chose MythTV as its a full PVR package. The fact it was linux put me off a bit but to be frank the drivers for my Artec T1 USB DVB-T box are HORRIBLE and there arnt any BDA drivers. Under linux it works perfectly, but i guess ill just have to play with MythTV.
I played with GBPVR but didnt give it a fair chance to be honest. Might give it another go in the future if linux cant satisfy my full needs (at the moment it only really works for TV viewing and not for games, office work or downloading)

Back