Vat to rise to 20%?

Rat

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
BBC news sorry no link on iPhone

VAT is set to rise under the new coalition government, according to a BBC survey of influential economists.
Of 28 independent economists currently used by the Treasury to assist its forecasts, 24 said they expected the rate to rise in the coming parliament.
The majority predicted a rise from the current 17.5% to 20% before the end of 2011. Analysts say a 20% rate would raise an estimated £11.5bn a year.
VAT was temporarily cut last year to 15% to aid the economic recovery.
But the tax on consumer goods is seen as an attractive way to boost the government's tax income, with cutting the country's budget deficit a priority for the new Conservative-Liberal Democrat coalition.
There are 35 economists listed as independent consultants for the Treasury's UK economic forecasts. Six declined to take part in the BBC's survey.
'Drop in the ocean'
On Wednesday the coalition said it wanted to see "a significantly accelerated reduction" in the country's borrowing, with £6bn of cuts planned in the first year.
Any changes to VAT and other taxes are likely to be unveiled in an emergency Budget to be announced within 50 days.
Economist Azad Zangana, from Schroders, who is predicting a rise in VAT to 19%, said that the UK economy is probably strong enough to withstand the expected cuts and tax rises.
"While earlier cuts in public spending are inevitably going to dampen economic growth, the UK recovery appears to be gathering pace," he said.
He added, however, that £6bn in public spending cuts were only "a drop in the ocean" compared to what would be required to tackle the current £166bn deficit.

I predict a riot !

Wages at an all time low, fuel, food and bills at an all time high and they wanna rip us even more

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/10112936.stm

Our deficit is one hundred and sixty billion (the difference between what we made and spent in 2009).

Our national debt is nearly nine hundred billion (what we owe since the UK became the UK).

I expect things to get much worse than a 2.5% VAT increase.

Buckle up.

if you have been unemployed the last 10 years then u got nothing to worry about

this election was all about the working people of this country who they thought best to run it

we are still borrowing 1 billion a day even though stamp duty is at a record high as is personal tax allowance

too many people are claiming benefits rather than finding work

it's been a free ride for far too long, personal borrowing has been ridiculous. Time for people to start living within their means.

When we leaving LOL !

My family and I are off to Oz :) just not yet, once I qualify !

Do you know someboy you have emigrated.

My sister left a couple of years ago for Perth and though the weather and lifestyle is great and laidback, good jobs are hard to find, wages are not as good as here though most goods are because virtually everything is imported. Housing is sorta cheaper but in good areas about the same price as south-east (outside of London). Also her internet is appalling.

Though unlike the UK, they have vast natural resources and don't rely on service industry which will keep their budget in surplus for decades to come.

this election was all about the working people of this country who they thought best to run it

we are still borrowing 1 billion a day even though stamp duty is at a record high as is personal tax allowance

Yep! I know a lot of people who can work, have job offer but just can't be bothered...they better off staying at home, they don't pay tax on JSA!

drone drone drone

ur like a record
why dont u slate off the ppl who have fooked this country

the banks

the greedy ppl who kept putting the house prices up

the mortgage lenders who lent more than ppl could afford

thats who u want to slag off

now you have the new government
who now ask you to take off ur trousers turn around and bend over
cos we are about to fook u till it hurts
and then we will do it every yr untill the ppl with money are happy

Prefer this to income tax increase. If you want to sit at home on benefits you still get taxed when you spend it. If you work, live within your means then tax does not hit you as hard.

Realisitically the money is going to have to come from somewhere. Reducing the number of people on benefits because it works out better then working in a low income job is one way of doing it. There is work out there, unfortunately a lot of it is low paid and bit attrative to people on benefits.

Urban riots around Sept-Oct is my prediction.

drone drone drone

ur like a record
why dont u slate off the ppl who have fooked this country

the banks

the greedy ppl who kept putting the house prices up

the mortgage lenders who lent more than ppl could afford

thats who u want to slag off

now you have the new government
who now ask you to take off ur trousers turn around and bend over
cos we are about to fook u till it hurts
and then we will do it every yr untill the ppl with money are happy

Yes the banks have a part to play in this by offering so much access to cheap credit with few checks on the ability of people to pay it back but also public have to own some of the problem because they are the ones who were living on the cheap credit.

Sad fact is its still going on, I don't see house prices coming down, I still see lots of people borrowing on credit card for luxaries (not essentials), buying new cars and taking expensive foreign holidays.

Do you know someboy you have emigrated.

My sister left a couple of years ago for Perth and though the weather and lifestyle is great and laidback, good jobs are hard to find, wages are not as good as here though most goods are because virtually everything is imported. Housing is sorta cheaper but in good areas about the same price as south-east (outside of London). Also her internet is appalling.

Though unlike the UK, they have vast natural resources and don't rely on service industry which will keep their budget in surplus for decades to come.

Yes mate, most of my partners extended family live out there and have done for years.
I am in nursing so job is no issue :) as is my partner

Urban riots around Sept-Oct is my prediction.
why sept-oct
the budget is only 50 days away

why not charge a tax on the banks for profits
but we cannot do that they are conservatives

back to the future 1979 Maggie Thatchers Tories raise vat to 17.5%.

now they plan to raise it to 20%

just from a Scottish point of view. the Conservative have got 1 seat in Scotland and they still screw us over, I hope the Lib Dems enjoy their 30 pieces of silver because a lot of people up here feel they have stabbed us in the back. and it could come back to haunt them when they fall out with the Tories and we have another election.

Back