Using BBC I Player abroad (not in UK)

viduka

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi All

I will shortly be going to live in malta for a couple of months & will be taking my lappy with me. The property where I will be staying has an internet connection. Will I be able to use BBC I player, ITV catch up etc whilst abroad ? I only ask as this would surely mean that loads of people could watch not having paid a licence fee. Although im asking this im not really sure how they could stop you ? Am I getting paraniod or will I be able to watch the English programmes at will ? Thanks in advance !

they do an ip lookup to see the country if its not UK they wont let ya on, use a UK proxy and should work

they do an ip lookup to see the country if its not UK they wont let ya on, use a UK proxy and should work

Thanks for the info M8s, its not good news ! Can you explain what you mean by using a UK proxy, as I will be honest and say I havnt a clue :FRIGHT:

Found on another forum ...

I've just been looking at the BBC iPlayer website, i don't have the iPlayer software installed on my PC, however I am watching a Top Gear web stream from the URL below in Firefox using a UK Proxy address: 217.65.158.65 Port 8080

Dunno if it works but a proxy is your only hope !

Found on another forum ...

I've just been looking at the BBC iPlayer website, i don't have the iPlayer software installed on my PC, however I am watching a Top Gear web stream from the URL below in Firefox using a UK Proxy address: 217.65.158.65 Port 8080

Dunno if it works but a proxy is your only hope !

Went to that forum & the link that was in that post & It worked without having any Iplayer software instaled on my PC. Thanks ! I dont suppose you have any more gems like that for ITV & C4 I would go looking but as previously stated I dont know what a uk proxy server is ?

Thanks to everyone again !

Thanks for all your help on this one. Ive now sussed out re the UK proxy servers and I think I have found ones that I will be able to "hide" behind to be able to watch the Iplayer etc.

if you use firefox you can get an addon which you load all the proxys into and then at a click of the button it changes it

Re: I player via Go to my PC.

Just a thought, anybody any idea whether I could use BBC I player etc by signing up to go to my pc ? This is supposed to give you access to a chosen computer (ie mine in the uk) from anywhere in the world. Obviously I can get the various players on my UK PC, so would they work okay ?

Thanks again.

yes using goto my pc would work. (Visually) allthough I doubt you would get any sound. (correct me if I am wrong). I cant imaging bandwidth latentcy would be that good either so the picture cuold be jumpy.

But you would not need to use that software if you have windows you could 1st set up portforwarding on your router then configure Remote desktop connections.

I find these days that the illegal pirates get stuff uploaded quicker than iPlayer. You can find most stuff pretty quickly on Rapidshare (or topsites if you have the hookup).

Another solution would be to buy a very cheap UK shell and run your own proxy server.

Back