Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

USB Hard drives. Any to avoid?

Dazza

Inactive User
Fed up switching discs about for the nipper on the Wii, so gonna get a USB 2.5 portable drive.

Is there any models it really doesn't like?

Also, 250gb/320gb should be plenty, yes?

I was just planning on getting the cheapest I could find. ;)

Most work m8. I have Western Digital 320gb, ive around 170 on it with over 80gb free. there was a list on here a while back I just can't find it

Most work m8. I have Western Digital 320gb, ive around 170 on it with over 80gb free. there was a list on here a while back I just can't find it

Thanks mate.

I think one them on Play was a WD drive IIRC. Storage wise, that sounds fine also. Cheers for that.

Was reading on another thread about iomega 500GB drives down at comets or curry for £45 have been tested as working. The only difference is that they require they own power unlike some of the 2.5" drives.

I have been looking on fleabay for a used WD passport and the cheapest ones seem to be coming in at around £40 in delivery.

Was reading on another thread about iomega 500GB drives down at comets or curry for £45 have been tested as working. The only difference is that they require they own power unlike some of the 2.5" drives.

Yeah thanks mate, I don't want the extra PSU though ideally. I think I'd rather pay the same sort of money, but sacrifice a bit of storage space to avoid yet another plug. :)

Yeah thanks mate, I don't want the extra PSU though ideally. I think I'd rather pay the same sort of money, but sacrifice a bit of storage space to avoid yet another plug. :)

I am looking for the same thing. Wii games seem seem to be a couple of GB in size and even 100GB would be 30 or 40 games which I would have thought would be enough for most people.

I am using an Iomega 320gb drive, one I got from Dell over here in the US and that is working fine. Funny though wiiflow recognises it only when connected to one of the usb ports and not the other. Not too bothered, it works.

I tried a medion 250gb from aldi and it wont work but my older Seagate with power adapter works fine

edogg

I had a 500gb Seagate external usb hard drive which I cross-used with my PS3 and Wii for High Def movies and Wii games respectively. They're down to about £40 ish now I think but totally useless to you because you said you don't want extra plugs. I no longer have this hard drive either as my brother now has it. But point is there's another hard drive personally confirmed, and when I get around to buying another hard drive for my Wii I'll be streamlining it to about 150gb tops because there's no way I was using more than that ever. Not enough top quality games. Had a mean and lean list though! lol. :)

Dropped by Argos yesterday and picked up a 250GB seagate 2.5" external drive (no extra power required) for £40 which is reported to be working. Hopefully will give it a try this weekend and see if it works.

I bought this one in the end... It works perfectly.

Samsung 500GB Portable Hard Drive Hi Speed USB - Michael Jackson "This is it" Special Edition Pre Loaded

I ditched the Jacko shite straight away with a full format. (Didn't appeal to me in the slightest) Luckily it also comes with a decent black leather type case, which hides the damn awful gold casing and Wacko Jacko emblem.

But anyway, confirmed as working for the GX Loader with WBFS. (Ta Dogtoffee et all)

Wish I did this ages ago, so much easier and quicker!

Glad you got sorted dazza but just for info if anyone's else is still looking for a drive, PC world are doing WD 320gb for a special offer of £34.99.

I am using an Iomega 320gb drive, one I got from Dell over here in the US and that is working fine. Funny though wiiflow recognises it only when connected to one of the usb ports and not the other. Not too bothered, it works.

Sorry for the bump but the Wii does this to my Seagate portable hardrive aswell, it must be due to the different amount of power each port gives or something, but atleast it works :p

Sorry for the bump but the Wii does this to my Seagate portable hardrive aswell, it must be due to the different amount of power each port gives or something, but atleast it works :p

That's the Wii m8, only one of the USB ports can be used for external drives/flash drives. I believe it's designed by Nintendo that way? There are explanations and pictures around here showing which port must be used, and why.

FYI - as mentioned before I have the iomega 320 eGo drive which I got in the US but should also be available in the UK.

But the fyi bit, I found this link which is a list of known working drives

Code:
You don't have permission to view the code content. Log in or register now.

Back