USB Flash drive electrical diagram

The Dentist

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey guys need some help. i've destroyed my USB flash drive. got the bits from it inside but need the electrical diagram or even a picture of which way the wires go. there are 4 wires, red, green, white and black. need to know which way they go on the usb bit.

edit: oops sorry wrong forum. can admin move this to the pc help section please.

update: got the wires done correctly. but i keep getting the error message, one of the usb device is malfunctioned. and it comes up as an unknown usb device. anyone know if i can force it to recognise it as a mass storage device?
(has some important info that i need to get out.)

Last edited:
First off, I have no idea if this will work, but it's worth a try. Get yourself a Linux LiveCD and boot it up. Once you're up and running, plug in the device, and see what gets detected. Type 'dmesg' at a command line and see what's output at the end. Hopefully, it will say something about detecting a usb device, and maybe even as a drive (although I think that's unlikely).

Even if it doesn't get mounted properly as a partition, you might still be able to dump the data off of it using something like 'dd if=/dev/sda of=tmp.dump'. The sda will need changing to whatever device is detected. PM me i you're confused.

cheers mate. use linux as my main os. this is the output i get:

[ 370.364000] usb 4-2: USB disconnect, address 3
[ 2092.540000] usb 1-2: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 2
[ 2092.664000] usb 1-2: device descriptor read/64, error -71
[ 2092.888000] usb 1-2: device descriptor read/64, error -71
[ 2093.104000] usb 1-2: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 3
[ 2093.224000] usb 1-2: device descriptor read/64, error -71
[ 2093.448000] usb 1-2: device descriptor read/64, error -71
[ 2093.664000] usb 1-2: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 4
[ 2094.072000] usb 1-2: device not accepting address 4, error -71
[ 2094.184000] usb 1-2: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 5
[ 2094.592000] usb 1-2: device not accepting address 5, error -71
rayhan@Laptop:~$ dd if=/dev/sda of=tmp.dump
dd: opening `/dev/sda': Permission denied
dunno why im getting permission denied?

I thought it was a long shot. It doesn't look like it was detected as a drive. The reason you get the error is you're not root. Also, the sda looks like it's probably you're SATA hard drive, so there's no point dumping it. The usb drive would appear in /dev as sdc or sdd or something. But it isn't being picked up. I'll have a think and get back

I thought it was a long shot. It doesn't look like it was detected as a drive. The reason you get the error is you're not root. Also, the sda looks like it's probably you're SATA hard drive, so there's no point dumping it. The usb drive would appear in /dev as sdc or sdd or something. But it isn't being picked up. I'll have a think and get back

im not using any sata hd's tho. its all pata.
cheers for your help mate :)

im not using any sata hd's tho. its all pata.
cheers for your help mate

So have you got an sda entry in /dev? Try 'ls /dev | grep sd'. I've also found this link which talks about a workaround fro the problem. Might be worth a shot, although I wouldn't be too confident :( How did you break it. I'm assuming you expect the flash chip is still intact and will be working, otherwise we'll be banging our head against a brick wall.

Out of interest...

What Flash device does it contain?

All of the printed or etched text on the chip would be good :).

USB Wiring

Hey guys need some help. i've destroyed my USB flash drive. got the bits from it inside but need the electrical diagram or even a picture of which way the wires go. there are 4 wires, red, green, white and black. need to know which way they go on the usb bit.

edit: oops sorry wrong forum. can admin move this to the pc help section please.

update: got the wires done correctly. but i keep getting the error message, one of the usb device is malfunctioned. and it comes up as an unknown usb device. anyone know if i can force it to recognise it as a mass storage device?
(has some important info that i need to get out.)

USB wiring diagram any use devil?

http://www.zytrax.com/tech/pc/serial.html

Muskrat

Hi devil,

Have been looking at Seagate stuff and looking through the manual to get the specs http://www.seagate.com/support/disc/manuals/external/photo/100375652a.pdf

Check out page 59, has an 0800 number for Seagate Tech support in the UK, maybe they would sell you a new/used interface or supply you with a more detailed wiring diagram.

Hope this helps you.

Muskrat

Here is some pin-out information for the USB connector:

http://hardware.zp.ua/docs/usb.htm

If it were the PCB end it would be trickier but not impossible to work it out with a DMM and some datasheets.

Back