URGENT ! - Starview clones !

I would say 100% yes since it appears to have erased the bootloader on cloned boxes - this type of signature is not a mistake it is a deliberate attempt to kill cloned starviews running genuine firmware.
its a bit over the top if you ask me!!
i'm sure they will be fixable in the near future.

tbc

Its highly probable dream media could use this method with a revised base dreamup image.To kill clone 500's if they wished?

Its highly probable dream media could use this method with a revised base dreamup image.To kill clone 500's if they wished?

I would say its only a mater of time before dream do something like this there was a lot of talk of it before that they could do something like this and when you think of the many places you can now buy clone dreamboxs im sure they will take steps to do something about it

Yes thats true, but how do you know that you have bought a cloned box to start with?
Most people buy a box thinking it is a GENIUNE box and not a clone I would even guess that a lot of suppliers even buy them in good faith believing that its a geniune item.

The dreambox soft is open source. Its not so easy to hide anything.
Only the driver part is closed source. Dream multimedia could publish drivers which are incompatible to clone boxes but that wouldn't kill the clone boxes.

yeah...thats what i was thinking....i picked this thread up from the dreambox section as someone posted a link to this thread....most of the images i have used have been built from the ground up so i am not to concerned.

How can software "physically" damage hardware or am I missing something ?????

No the loader has been deleted. There will be away to get them up and running again just wait for a short while.

tmc:Smileysex

basically the firmware is doing checks on the box and if it fails then it deletes the boot loader!

now u could always stick the boot loader back on by jtag or lifting the chip

but if the firmware is going to delete it again u need to find out what the firmware is checking or how it tells the diffrerence between legit box's and clones!

and once u find out what the firmware is checking u could in theory make ur box look like a legit 1

and then ur sorted

but main thing is how it tells the diffrenece between clone and legit

and if there are any little minute hardware diffrence between legit and clone box's

all ways helps if u talk about everything openly .etc

i have never had 1 of these and personally i would stick with my dreambox 500c

Last edited:
Yes thats true, but how do you know that you have bought a cloned box to start with?
Most people buy a box thinking it is a GENIUNE box and not a clone I would even guess that a lot of suppliers even buy them in good faith believing that its a geniune item.

Just emailed an ebay seller advertising his starviews as original.I asked would 260 flash damage his box,he said dont use 260 at all and his boxes where genuine.Yeah right.

I don't think the clone box suppliers acting in good faith.
The genuine starview box is made in Korea and the clones are coming from China.

it,s down to the processor speed,originol boxes run at 80 mhz
cloned boxes running at 65 mhz,..massive diffrence,
due to the sti5518 processor,a broken box is very likely to be repaired
via use of a jtag interface,the pin headers are eaisily accessible,and using a pc,you can overide the processor and send temp commands to it.
A BOX THAT HAS BEEN HIT IS NEVER TRULEY BROKEN BECAUSE OF THIS!

it,s down to the processor speed,originol boxes run at 80 mhz
cloned boxes running at 65 mhz,..massive diffrence,
due to the sti5518 processor,a broken box is very likely to be repaired
via use of a jtag interface,the pin headers are eaisily accessible,and using a pc,you can overide the processor and send temp commands to it.
A BOX THAT HAS BEEN HIT IS NEVER TRULEY BROKEN BECAUSE OF THIS!

u got any proof becasue as i understand a clone is supposed to run at same spec as orignal a clone is a clone Exact copy

plus i would like to understand a few things about these box's like the processor and what type of applications and commands u can use

and possibly what ports / points u can connect the jtag too

some intresting findings peeps

If there is a jtag socket at the mainboard you can connect your pc via an jtag interface to the box and write a new bootloader to the flash.

from another forum

There are 2 types of genuine starview the 1st generation which is the smaller one with the scarts on the right as you look at the back. These originally came with a small thin looking remote. The 2nd gens came with a larger flat more modern looking remote. Also the the 2nd generation is larger with the scarts on the other side. The original 1st gens came in packaging that was pinky purple.

The cloned fake boxes are copies if the 1st gen smaller ones that are no longer available and come with a more modern looking remote that is similar but not identical to the 2nd gen remote and the packaging is more blue than pinky.
The last major difference is in the quality of the manual. If you look you can see that the clone manual is much darker than the original.

REMEMBER THAT ON THE PICTURE OF THE BACK OF THE RECEIVERS THE COPY IS THE SAME AS THE 1ST GEN. SO IF IT LOOKS LIKE THAT AND YOU BOUGHT IT LAST YEAR THEN ITS PROBABLY OK. SO YOU HAVE TO CHECK ALL THE OTHER FACTORS SUCH AS PACKAGING AND REMOTE/MANUAL. THATS ALL i KNOW

If there is a jtag socket at the mainboard you can connect your pc via an jtag interface to the box and write a new bootloader to the flash.

Can you please explain what you mean by a jtag interface and socket?
Where can I get a jtag interface from? is it easy to do?
I dont want to bin my box yet if it can be fixed.
Many Thanks

basically the firmware is doing checks on the box and if it fails then it deletes the boot loader!

now u could always stick the boot loader back on by jtag or lifting the chip

but if the firmware is going to delete it again u need to find out what the firmware is checking or how it tells the diffrerence between legit box's and clones!

and once u find out what the firmware is checking u could in theory make ur box look like a legit 1

and then ur sorted

but main thing is how it tells the diffrenece between clone and legit

and if there are any little minute hardware diffrence between legit and clone box's

all ways helps if u talk about everything openly .etc

i have never had 1 of these and personally i would stick with my dreambox 500c

Hi
Silly question I guess but what do you mean by lifting the chip?
Is it just a matter of taking the chip out and putting it back in again?
Or am I just being stupid?

Also can anyone please explain how software eg bootloader will stop the box from powering up (no lights at all).
Should I just bin the box or hold on to it for a week or so in case someone can sort it out?
Many Thanks

Last edited:
i might be being a little silly but where did this new 2.60 upgrade come from
maybe someones tampered or rewrote the original software and posted it as a upgrade software
can any one with a so called genuine starview confirm if thay have loaded the software on ther box and is it still ruuning
also i think there is too much confusion about these boxes
every one selling them reckons theres are the genuine ones
and to answer a post earlier about returning these to supplier if the supplier is good hell change it for you if not he wont and thers f all you can do about it
you can't really contact trading standards and tell them i mean what you gonna say
you bought a box to watch cable on the dodgy and it dont work anymore

anyways sorry for boring you guys but thats just me chatting shite

i might be being a little silly but where did this new 2.60 upgrade come from
maybe someones tampered or rewrote the original software and posted it as a upgrade software
can any one with a so called genuine starview confirm if thay have loaded the software on ther box and is it still ruuning

The 2.6 firmware is genuine from the manufacturers but has been tailored to check for minor differences between the originals and the fakes (tuner is one thing that may be checked - the clones use a different make )

Not too sure about the clock speed thing - cant imagine why anyone would change the processor speed when cloning a box as this would likely cause software problems anyway. Software is usually tailored to run at a specific speed.

The genuine boxes run just fine with 2.6 software

New Firmware for starview clones is on the scene. I will ask the creator permission before posting it here for you guys and then pop it up within 24 hours. This patched version has the hex for wiping bootloader and checks deleted and is now tested.

The chap who did it is called Firmware Creator.

it will work with clones and originals, unfortunatly it will not revive dead boxes - we are working on that one.

As mentioned above dreamboxes use open scorce fo rtheir images and therefore wont have this sort of problem.

Dreambox and dbox2 will always be OK - Chinese boxes like starview / envision that rely on the manufacturer to write the updates will contain surprises from time to time.

: multi :

Back