URGENT ! - Starview clones !

nozzer

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Reports are coming in that the latest Starview firmware (260) is killing clone boxes.

Until this is checked out it is advised that you do not flash this software unless you are 100% certain the box you have is NOT a clone !

Last edited:
well i have mine put to rest with this software is there anyway this can be resolved ie can the box be bought back to life i am missing my Star View

I've no idea as I dont have one of these boxes but I would of though that if all else fails a manual re-flash of an earlier version of the firmware should do the trick !

Unfortunately, at this point its unknown how the clone is detected or how the firmware responds to the clone. It may be that some physical damage is caused to the clone which is permanent !

Was the flash intended to kill the clones?

Honestly dont know the answer to that !

Just being told by quite a few people that their boxes have stopped working and the only common thing seems to be that they recently flashed to the latest firmware and the boxes are likely clones !

Two of my starview boxes have just died!

what a nightmare!!,my sister rang me up today and said she was watching her box last nite the picture froze so she unplugged the box,then plugged it back in and there was nothing,the lcd display wouldn't even light up!!!!!!!,so me being a bright spark went round with my box which is working fine and plugged it in and now my box won't power up!,i checked the fuses,i even plugged other appliances in the same plug socket and they were fine,so i took them back to my house and tried them on my mains and they still do nothing!!!!,anyone got any idea's?,I flashed both boxes with the new firmware last week and the last time i used my box was about thursday,any feedback will be appreciated,kind regards,mark.

Last edited:
That is exact the behavior of the 2.60 firmware at a cloned starview box.
If you switch off from mains the game is over.
It looks like the 2.60 firmware change the bootloader and the changed bootloader is not functional at a cloned starview box.
If you unplug and then plug in the box is nomore able to boot up.

gutted!!!!!!!!!.thanks for the quick reply,that all makes sense,it looks like ive been well and truely shafted!!!!!,is there any way we can bring these boxes back to life?,kind regards mark

if it changes the bootloader wont u be bale to lift the firmware chip or were ever its stored and flash old bootloader back to it???

and then stick on old software??

never had 1 of these before but just giving idea's

gulp...i flashed mine not knowing...thank goodness mines ok, even after a power off

Can anyone say what the new image does to the box?
Does it blow the chip etc etc?
Is there anyway to fix this problem?
Any help out there guys.
Cheers

Can anyone say what the new image does to the box?
Does it blow the chip etc etc?
Is there anyway to fix this problem?
Any help out there guys.
Cheers
the new image what it does to you box is it works fine so long as you dont turn off power
but as soon as you switch power off to the box it fails to boot up if you have accidentally flashed your box with the new image 2.60eE than i sugest you reload it with the old 2.57eE
as soon as you can with out powering down once powered down you will not be able to reflash as the box fails to power up

the new image what it does to you box is it works fine so long as you dont turn off power
but as soon as you switch power off to the box it fails to boot up if you have accidentally flashed your box with the new image 2.60eE than i sugest you reload it with the old 2.57eE
as soon as you can with out powering down once powered down you will not be able to reflash as the box fails to power up

Thanks I gathered that but what does it do to the box itself to prevent it from powering up?
Is there anything that can be done once it has powered down?
Or have I been ripped off with a cloned box that lasted 2 weeks?

Thanks I gathered that but what does it do to the box itself to prevent it from powering up?
Is there anything that can be done once it has powered down?
Or have I been ripped off with a cloned box that lasted 2 weeks?

As posted further back it affects the bootloader,at the mo dont power off,is your box a clone?

As posted further back it affects the bootloader,at the mo dont power off,is your box a clone?

I got the box 2 weeks ago and it had a software with a version 258 that didnt work,so i went on a forum and some one gave me the latest one (i think it was 260,its been running great for 2 weeks on this 260 but the other day the picture froze,i turned the box off at the back and it wouldnt turn on again!!
Basically i havent tried asking for my money back for two reasons,
1 have changed the software.
2 the box came with a 2 prong european plug,i didnt have an adapter so i cut that off and wired a uk plug onto it,so i didnt think they would change it for those 2 reasons.

Is there anyway of changing the bootloader back?
Any Help?

I got the box 2 weeks ago and it had a software with a version 258 that didnt work,so i went on a forum and some one gave me the latest one (i think it was 260,its been running great for 2 weeks on this 260 but the other day the picture froze,i turned the box off at the back and it wouldnt turn on again!!
Basically i havent tried asking for my money back for two reasons,
1 have changed the software.
2 the box came with a 2 prong european plug,i didnt have an adapter so i cut that off and wired a uk plug onto it,so i didnt think they would change it for those 2 reasons.

Is there anyway of changing the bootloader back?
Any Help?

No doubt someone will come up with a fix?as you've had it 2 weeks i'd send it back and say it stopped working.Say fa about changing the software.

Have the manufacturers issued the software update?bit malicious either way,i'd be well pissed if i'd bought a clone by accident,and this happens.

No doubt someone will come up with a fix?as you've had it 2 weeks i'd send it back and say it stopped working.Say fa about changing the software.

Have the manufacturers issued the software update?bit malicious either way,i'd be well pissed if i'd bought a clone by accident,and this happens.

Got it from a Ebay shop and he is still selling them and I am sure that they must all be clones that he is selling.
How can you tell a clone box from a geniune one?

Really wish we could have a Name and Shame section on here.
To help and warn others about the rogue sellers.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....tle=300110799447&fvi=1&item=300110799447&rd=1

Last edited:
Was the flash intended to kill the clones?

I would say 100% yes since it appears to have erased the bootloader on cloned boxes - this type of signature is not a mistake it is a deliberate attempt to kill cloned starviews running genuine firmware.
its a bit over the top if you ask me!!
i'm sure they will be fixable in the near future.

tbc

Got it from a Ebay shop and he is still selling them and I am sure that they must all be clones that he is selling.
How can you tell a clone box from a geniune one?

Really wish we could have a Name and Shame section on here.

I think your jumping the gun a bit here.

First you should contact the supplier in writing be it snail or email and give them the chance to resolve the problem.

The fact you have cut the two pin plug is irrelevant as they don't conform to British Standards.

As to the updated firmware, first check if you were advised not to update when you purchased. If you were not advised there should not be a problem.

If you were advised not to update, surely you asked yourself the question at the time of purchase. Why?

If the supplier will not co-operate to resolve then by all means bring it to the attention of others. But until you are sure bite your tongue.

Good Luck. but by the looks of the fleabay dealer I can't see you havving any problems.

Back