UNLOCKING the BT Home Hub for use with a NEW ISP

chrome307

Inactive User
Reaction score
I've successfully managed to do this and have included all the instructions as a text file included in the download.

6258193.jpg

DownloadLink:

Code:
You don't have permission to view the code content. Log in or register now.

You can also use the USB port on the hub to share a printer on a network

1. Add your printer normally as if its attached to your machine.
2. Once added, right click on properties then on the ports tab.
3. Click add port, choose Standard TCP/IP Port, click New Port.
4. Enter 192.168.1.253 as the IP address, and anything you like as the name.
5. Click Custom, then Settings.
6. Choose LPR as protocol Queue Name: LPT1 check LPR byte counting as enabled, click ok.
7. Finish the wizard.

AND

You should be able to use an external USB HDD drive as a NETWORK DRIVE as well as long as it formatted as FAT32 and not NTFS.

Finally if your a BT Broaband Talk Customer - just plug in a phone and you'll be up and running :)

this doesnt give you access to BT talk via the hub phone etc. Just tried this.

It does appear to give you a 7G router, but its an older firmware.

please note that the current firmware supplied by BT for the home hub already allows you to use the usb ports as a print server and NAS (by attaching a USB storage device).

"unlocking" the home hub doesnt seem to give you that much more in the way of options, all the WPA-PSK stuff is in the latest firmware anyway etc.

If you are a BT broadband customer, there is very little point in using one of these.

If you are not, and have one, then its an easy way of connecting to your ISP. The only thing I can say is that it may be easier to use a different router, the home hub by design (the BT version and the generic version) are not as feature rich.

If you are a BT broadband customer, there is very little point in using one of these.

Exactly why would you want to UNLOCK the Hub to use with a new ISP ??

I think it's the standard equipment they send out to customers

Finally if your a BT Broaband Talk Customer - just plug in a phone and you'll be up and running

No need for configuration as mentioned just plug in your phone .... no picture of a hub phone posted in my initial post.

sorry, i mistyped in my previous answer, should have said "if you are not a BT broadband customer there is little point in using one of these"

my reason for that mal formed comment is that the hub looks nice etc, but its a pain in the ass to use. it is very limited - i came from using a zyxel device to this one and it doesnt have half the functionality.

i think my hub phone comment was to do with your point on broadband talk, again i failed to type it out correctly. i was trying to point out that the hub phone does not work for bt broadband talk once the home hub has been flashed. i have no idea if plugging in a regular phone works as i didnt try that.

on a lot of other forums, people want to unlock the hub in the vain attempt to get extra functions. unlocking it does give you a few bits and peices you wouldnt normally see but not much more. if you have been given a home hub, unlock it and use it - but i wouldnt recomend going out of your way to buy one to use with a different isp.

sorry if i gave the wrong impression, it just strikes me that it is easier to use the router given to you by your isp or bu a cheap one than it is to use this heap. it is very limited in it usage and the dhcp server on it is not the easiest to work with.

Back