two cat 5 cables

bonehead

Member ++
Reaction score
hi all i am not sure this should be here in sat forum or pc forum,my problem is i have kryptview for cable,and spiderbox for satalite,i need two cat 5 cables one for each,i have tried to put dual lan socket ,and also put a cable spitter to connect the two boxes,but cannot get both to work,one or other freezes as soon as i plug cable in,im not sure could it be ip address conflict ,any help other than turn off and re boot done that bit much appreciated
cheers

hi all i am not sure this should be here in sat forum or pc forum,my problem is i have kryptview for cable,and spiderbox for satalite,i need two cat 5 cables one for each,i have tried to put dual lan socket ,and also put a cable spitter to connect the two boxes,but cannot get both to work,one or other freezes as soon as i plug cable in,im not sure could it be ip address conflict ,any help other than turn off and re boot done that bit much appreciated
cheers
my thoughts on this is u need to connect the cat5 cables to a router with seperate connections because the connect to diff servers
then to the kryptview u need to connect the cable and to the spiderbox u need to comnect it to a sat dish

what i have done is run one cable from my router upstairs,down to living room downstairs,where i have tried tosplit into two seperate feeds one each to cable and satalite,without any success,seems there is a conflict with servers,oh well it was a good idea while it lasted,think i will invest in a couple of home plugs for one of them,thanks for help.
cheers

I dont think you can split cat5 m8,you would need 2 seperate cables 1 for each.

the router will only assign one ip address from the cable coming from it
so this is why you have a problem
you would need to add a second switch (router in access mode )
and then run 2 cables from this

m8, you cant do it that way....
you need to run cables from both boxes into router or you will have two boxes fighting over one ip address....

thanks everyone for info ,time to junk that idea,not keen on running another cable,i think i will invest in a couple of homeplugs,seems easyist way to go.
once again thanks all for info
cheers

Why don't you buy an el-cheapo hub/switch and connect the existing single cable that you already have to that and then plug each of the boxes into the hub/switch.

Cheapest and easiest way in my opinion. :)

an ethernet hub, you must have seen one of those.
i have one you can have for free, if you happen to live in the glasgow area :)

was just going to post same thing ,am sure you can get a hub on ebay for a few quid

am sure it will work my son has one and has kv ,pc,ps3 and media cente all connected to a hub and running all at once ,your not likely to have spider and kv both on at same time anyway

switch arrived,but still no joyspider dosnt clear any channels,kv comes up scambled or no video, if i pull one cat5 out other one worksbit of a pain,but never mind,thanks everyone for all info,it is appreciated
cheers all

Last edited:
Hi there.
can you explain what router you have. does it have more than one connector (other than the link to your ISP).
i'm thinking, if this router only supports one device, then it will give that device the "only" IP address available. So that when you connect into a hub/switch the router will still give out the same address to both devices. If this is the case then you need a router with a built in switch and running dhcp (not strictly necessary - but normal).

so first thing, what is you router capable of.
post the make model and i can figure out your problem.

cheers

hi the router is a philips snb5600/00 it is a wireless router (dont use the wireless part) with 5 lan ports,i have just had another go with the switch,krypview works through it now,yesterday it froze when i tried it,so i think i only need another cat 5 cable and hopefully it will work,so off to tescos i go,will post result if it works or not
cheers

i have got a new cat5 cable,but dosnt seem to work,what happens is say i have kv on and then try ton switch to satalite spider spider dosnt clear,so i unplug everything and put spider on it clears,but then when i try to switch back to kv,kv dosnt clear,also noticed if i just have kv plugged in switch,seems to freeze quite alot,worth a try for a few quid,but seems not to work,maybe too much loss on main cat5 from router.
cheers all

Hi, you say you tried another cable?
so it is possible and quite easy to run two cables from your philips router to the devices? temporarily at least.
Try this (as a test) to rule out the switch as an issue.
plug them into one each of ports 1 - 4.
check that dhcp is enabled on your router and that Nat is enabled too.
the kryptview uses dhcp, not sure about the spiderbox.
do the boxes both clear when connected individually to the router?

it would be good to see which addresses are being assigned, but i cant see if the Philips allows you to check this. you may want to get a port scanner to check which IP addresses are in use on your Lan - i can send you one if you dont have.

let us know how you get on.

Back