iPhone Trying to unlock iphone 3gs

prag

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi guys wonder if someone on this forum could help us out as Im in a total land of confusion when trying to unlock an iphone 3gs thats locked to O2. I done quite a bit of searching around and have got a bit mucked up while using redsnow and then absinth and then finally ireb v6. All I managed to do was jailbreak the phone and not unlock it. So I tried the ireb and only succeeded in upgrading it to IOS6 from 5.01. DUMB ME>>:Drool:

Then when i did some more research I found out that I have to downgrade the baseband, which is currently on 05.16.05 .

Im a bit stuck at this point so if kryton or someone could possibly lends us help I would really appreciate it.

If you could first tell me how to flash the baseband then unlock I would really appreciate it, Im not sure if I have to jailbreak it then unlock or the other way round. Im totally confused and the information overload on google is giving me a headache. Some nice proceeding steps would help Im sure. thanks guys

Last edited:
the first steps as mentioned by shani are to have an unlockable baseband, his links should do the trick, by updating to the ipad basband 06.15.00 then downgrading it to 05.13.04.
then you will need to jailbreak it to install ultrasn0w so you can unlock it.

with IOS6 you can only have a tethered jailbreak at the moment, which means you will need a pc/lappy with redsn0w to boot your phone if ever you turn it of...battery goes flat etc....

unless you have any SHSH blobs saved so you can downgrade it to IOS 5.

unlocking on IOS 6 is possable, i helped somebody a while back : https://www.digitalworldz.co.uk/index.php?threads/292995/

but remember IOS6 is only has a tethered jailbreak at the moment.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks fellas will try this morning

well ive gone through all the tutorials you have posted here chaps and have to say Im even more confused now as its stating that some 3gs cant be downgraded if they have a specific serial number, I have tried to go ahead and do the unlock anyway but when I get to the part about the iPhone2,1_6.0.1_10A523 IPSW redsn0w tells me that its not supported, Im at a stump here Ive even gone as far as looking to downgrade the phone again back to 5.11 but im not sure if the phone can actually be done due to the serial number. Head in hands lol any further advice chaps would be most helpful thanks again for you contribution.

Like I said , first you need to make sure your device baseband could take iPad baseband or not. For 6.0.1 unsupported message, you have to download 6.0 ipsw and feed that into redsnow.

As far as ultrasnow is concerned, you can get the fixed ultrasnow. Focus on getting the unlockable baseband first.
Going back to older IOS depends on ShSh blob instead of serial number.
Tell us what's you current iOS version, baseband version, first 5 digits of your serial number and do you have any ShSh blobs.

Last edited:
thanks shani will give it another go this morning fyi the following is on the phone

IOS 6.01
Serial num is fist 5 dig is 85020j
baseband is 05.16.07

thanks again for the help mate your a star

Your manufacturing date is 020 which means it should be able to take the iPad baseband and be downgrade able back to 5.13.
Did you check if your saved any ShSh blobs? Easiest way would be run the redsnow and in extras click ShSh Blobs then Query button. Have you ever JB it before?
Could you also post your model number on your phone general/about/model setting?
Shani

I did not save any blobs as only just got the phone and as far as I know its not been JB before the model is MC131B thanks again mate

No problems. You could unlock the phone but only on 6.0.1 firmware that you are on. But since you would need to jailbreak, it will be tethered, which means every time you reboot, you have to use a pc with redsnow to kick it off the boot screen(read on tethered boot first).

We are hearing that a proper JB is near so keep saving the ShSh, and use TineyUmbrella for that.

Shani

No problems. You could unlock the phone but only on 6.0.1 firmware that you are on. But since you would need to jailbreak, it will be tethered, which means every time you reboot, you have to use a pc with redsnow to kick it off the boot screen(read on tethered boot first).

We are hearing that a proper JB is near so keep saving the ShSh, and use TineyUmbrella for that.

Shani

Out of interest could I not downgrade from 6.01? to say 5.11 reason I ask is that after doing a bit more reading this afternoon in those threads you posted it states that that can be done but you need shsh blobs which I dont have and when I tried to download it via the cydia server it states it doesnt have them, is there anywhere I could download those shsh blobs for 5.1.1 then downgrade from 6.01 to 5.11??

ShSh blobs are device specific and you could only download it off cydia if you have uploaded it/JB it before or stored it locally via TinyUmbrella. Without that you won't be able to put older firmware.
Start saving your blobs now atleast so that you could come back to ios 6.0.1/2in future.

For time being you would need to live with tethered on your current iOS firmware.

Shani

Last edited:
ShSh blobs are device specific and you could only download it off cydia if you have uploaded it/JB it before or stored it locally via TinyUmbrella. Without that you won't be able to put older firmware.
Start saving your blobs now atleast so that you could come back to ios 6.0.1/2in future.

For time being you would need to live with tethered on your current iOS firmware.

Shani

Thanks again shani, just a thought could I just unlock the phone and it can still be untetherd as its for my daughter who isnt really botherd about it being Jailbroken just unlocked

Sorry, No unlocking means running custom code which you cant do unless unless you JB. If a tether JB is a no go then either wait for upcoming JB or Perhaps look and talk to the original provider to see if they could unlock. There are few on eBay providing IMEI unlocking which is really inexpensive for American models, not sure about the uk ones. (tried searching and some are around £20). IMEI unlocking doesn't require any jailbreak or utility to run and it's unlocked at apple record means no more waiting for JB before your upgrade to latest firmware

Last edited:
just to let you know the previous owner has called o2 for me and they are unlocking it for £15 using the imei number in 72 hours thanks v much for your help with this shani, 15 sure beats the 60 quid a tosser in town was going to charge me just to unlock. Thanks again mate much appreciated for all your help u da man :)

Fantastic news. IMEI unlock beats everything else as you dont need a JB. Good for you.

-Shani

Back