torrent thingy seedbox?

dibbers

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
OK some one mentioned they had a seed box a few months ago, and i have seen a small unit that has a web interface that you can hook up to an external USB device and then shut down your computer and the torrents will seed/leech away, so then that reminded me that I'd heard about this "torrent seedbox" is it a remote server that you pay for to grab the torrent? and then do you download it from there server? with a cost i can imagine...

kk can see that you can get one from £9.00 a month....looking into it....

tia.

Last edited:
here are some that can look into

*ttp://filesharefreak.com/2010/01/17/new-seedbox-providers-and-other-seedbox-news/

signed up to one last night and was getting about 5 meg down and 500k upload, i can set up a private site so it'll be great to share with me mates and maybe some fellow DW members on here....but looks mint, pulled off a 4 gig game last night and of course was using the remote servers, just need to get a better version of cuteftp to get SSL or what ever it is to connect securely!

Looks mint at the minute though i must admit.

Haha. Was just looking into seedboxes and can you believe it this came up on Google.

Havent downloaded from torrents for years as have been a bit panicky about getting a letter from my isp.

Anyhow I really need to get a few things now and have been looking into a bit anonymity (sp?).

They quite anonymous these seedboxes? I assume whoever is looking into your d/l's wont be able to get your details from the seedbox people like they do from your grassing isp. Don't wanna be getting that flipping law firm sending a demand!!

@Dibbers. How you getting on with yours mate? Still using it? Would you recommend it?

Thanks guys

yeah was really good mate and it's secure, so all the downloading is done to the servers not to your machine, all you do then is get a download manager and pull the file of the servers, quite good really and you can get some amazing speeds, and it's all secure, but then again the bottle neck is still on grabbing the file, i'm just sitting tight for me new emprex one (i do some hard ware testing for them nice chaps over at emprex) so i'm just gonna stick that onto an external USB drive and away she'll go....

Which seedbox co did you use mate? Also was d/l from the seedbox to your pc ssl?

You gonna use the emprex as seedbox? ( I may have misunderstood this )

it's me confusing matters, lol, yeah the 1st on line company that has secure encryption was "seedunlimied" and i can't fault them, was nice and easy to use, how ever i then came across a seed box for my self, so i can attach a USB drive to it and leave it running, which means that you can kill your PC's/laptops etc, how ever that as you know is just like downloading to your PC so if you want security then the ssl hosted may be a batter option for you.

Here's the seedbox that I'm getting for your info matey.... seed box

it's a cheap and cheerful, ugly looking thing but i figure it'll be better than leaving a PC running all the time...

Just means that i can wire this up to a HD USB drive and leave that just running and forget about it pretty much, and it's not using all that energy and wasting a hex core for downloading....

here's some more on them..

url to more info on them

Last edited:
Wow. That emprex looks great value for money, wonder if it works on newsgroups?

Like I did say before though I am after a bit of privacy. Can't be arsed with the of getting a letter from the isp also don't want to "trigger" any throttling. Unless ofcourse some sort of vpn could be used but then that is just confusing matters isn't it.

Wonder if there is a similar box for cs'ing? That would open up a few possibilities for some people wouldnt it.

Quick edit: On these seed boxes can you also stop a file from sharing but keep it in the box until you ftp back to your pc?

Last edited:
yeah i know, for what it can do it's cheap as chips and means I'm not burning my hex core to download or keeping one of the laptops in the lab going or my revo, so just gonna fire this up to it's own gateway, there was always that program called peer guardian i think it was and that was easy enough to use but you'd be nackered if you wanted to visit a legit site like say s0ny.....etc. when i get it I'll have a play as I'll be able to create a FTP server for me self if i ever need them important files when I'm out all though i pretty much have came to the end of modding anything else, just can't help my self! ololol

Ok. Thanks the replies so far guys really clearing things up for me.

Another thing which I thought of today was maintaining ratio.

If for example I get my torrent from a site like demonoid the track the ip addy so they get your ratio figures. Thing is if I dont access their site from the same ip as the seedbox then my ratio will not go up/down.

Do these seedboxes let you access sites?

Been googling around and the only thing I see that might would be something like this..ruTorrent SeedBox VPS VNC Access | SeedBox Hosting | SeedBoxOne

There was an option on the one i had to use the log in credentials for demoniod, but i never managed it, all i managed to do was upload 10000 TB - and then when i checked my account over at demnoid it hadn't changed the ratio, so even though I'd shared back loads it never worked, i never had the account for longer than a month or so, so i never went back onto it or i would have posted in the help section to see why it nwasn't working......(if it's any concolation the downloads didn't increase as well, well weird as i managed to grab the torrent)

Hope that helps.

hmm. Yea it does buddy. May give that above one a try if I am really fussed about ratio.

Mate been out of the loop for so long any chance you could pm us a list of current torrent sites to use (as I suppose its against the rules to list publicly)

I assume supernova is no more?

Just rented a seedbox 2 days ago & it's working great, just about to setup sabnzbd on it to see how that works.
Are you still using it & how well does the Emprex Download Engine box work Dibbers?

I know the guys from Emprex, but sadly have to say the "seedbox" from them was ok, however you could only have about 3 torrents at a time, quite a good idea in principle. (you could leave it running and turn everything off you see apart from your modem)

How ever, the need for a hosted "seedbox" for me isn't needed any more as I have a much better connection, it was needed back in the day with a 2 meg connection, and of course you can grab your stuff via SSL if you like, I'm not that bothered about it all now, just use a "REVO" that's a server, seedbox, all that jazz doing what I need now.

HI
I am a seedbox user and I find it has the following advantages:-
*i download torrents and having a seedbox means that I am anonymous as the torrents go directly to the seedbox and NOT to my own pc
*the seedbox means that i can seed my torrents 24/7 (because its anonymous) and thus maintain a high ratio on the private trackers that i use - they are very strict about ratios.
*I then use FileZilla to transfer my files from the seedbox to my pc
*I delete the files from the seedbox when they have achieved sufficient ratio

The only charge is the monthly rental of the seedbox which is typically about £10 per month for a 150gb seedbox
hope this helps
Puzz

Back