Toothache

shotter said:
i can tell u another way of getting rid of the pain, get it taken out.:Chainsaw:

had some serious toothache before the bank holiday..went to the dentist and he said i have a infected or damaged nerve in my tooth..decided to get it fixed (was qouted £150), but gave me a appoitment for some time in 2 weeks..in the meantime he gave me some anti-biotics to kill the pain.

anti-biotics took the pain away untill last monday bank holiday....the pain came back and it was pain that i never want to feel again:grayno: ...as the dentist was closed i went to the emergency dentist, paid them £15 to get looked at and got the tooth taken out..my gums around the area where the tooth was taken out was a little sore for a few days, but other than that all is good.

my advice is get any toothache looked at by the dentisit....medicine is only a temporary cure.

My advice is don't take the above quote as any advice.......Your problem is totally different to the problem that Sameira has got. By the meaning of, how you put it ' the nerve was damaged ' means the tooth was heavily decayed, so decayed that the decay has gone down the nerve. (which is very painful) had you gone for your regular check up every six months, then this decay would of got detected by the dentist when it was the size of a dot and simple straight forward filling would of done the trick, however, i know from 14 yrs experience that people (no doubt like yourself) that have a hole in the tooth and can't be bothered to go to the dentist until they are in agony, by then it's too late and further treatment is needed which goes into a root canal treatment (removal of the nerve) and more expense. Another example....getting a punture, mend the punture and everything wil be fine, but if you don't and you keep riding and riding on this punctured tyre, eventually it will be beyond repair. Anyone should avoid having a tooth out unless absoloute nessacary, the reason being this:
When teeth erupt through the gum, how do they know when to stop erupting? first you see it slighty under the gum, then the cusps brake through, then the whole surface is through, then it comes up further and further and suddenly it does'nt come up any more, it stops erupting. Why? It doesn't have marker points on them to tell them to stop.....it's the adjacent teeth that stop them. Which is known as the bite. If you have a tooth taken out, in time the above or below one will start to erupt further, this causing it to become loose as the roots have no bone around them to suopport it. So there goes a perfectly good tooth and so on... also where there are gaps teeth start to move about, that why people have bridges fitted....i could go on and on but i can't be arsed with someone who don't know what they are talking about. Take my advise Sam, the dentist will tell you the same.

"i could go on and on but i can't be arsed with someone who don't know what they are talking about."
why dont you go on and on...i dont mind i have all night.
you need to take a chill pill tiger..i was only giving a opinion.

actually, you wasn't givening an opinon, you were giving advise (as you state) which was the wrong advise.....

I've had a fluey, coldy thing for the last few days. Sore throat, sore chest, sore legs... :(

Beginning to feel as if it's easing up a bit now though. :)

hamba said:
I've had a fluey, coldy thing for the last few days. Sore throat, sore chest, sore legs... :(

Beginning to feel as if it's easing up a bit now though. :)

had this all last week, so much for my holidays :(

well how brave am i ? just went to the the dentist today for a filling he told me i needed a few months back and he did it without any antisthetic? i once got up out of the chair because the the pain had stopped (i was back next day) thats how much i hated going to the dentist but in the end i thought well 5 mins discomfort has got to be better than sitting up all night in pain

charlie senator said:
well how brave am i ? just went to the the dentist today for a filling he told me i needed a few months back and he did it without any antisthetic? i once got up out of the chair because the the pain had stopped (i was back next day) thats how much i hated going to the dentist but in the end i thought well 5 mins discomfort has got to be better than sitting up all night in pain

well done charlie :Clap: i would give you a sticker but i'm out of them at the minute...lol

well cheers tina when he said do you want a jab i was panic stricken but i thought what the hell hes the dentist so i left it to him and this from someone who used to spend months in pain cos i wouldnt go!!! they used to have to knock me out to do a check up

:CRYBABY: :CRYBABY: I have a toothache awell , its fecking hurting like anything.
it was ok earlier but after i ate this kebab my tooth is hurting like anything and it has a massive hole in it, i can stick a whole matchstick up in it. Can't wait for the morning. :CRYBABY: :CRYBABY: if the pain goes on for any longer I be pulling out my tooth myself, anyone done this before, and what is the risks?

Last edited:
if you can stick a matchstick right up into it, sounds like you need a root filling, the only thing i can advise in the mean time is.....get some tweezers, with a small round up bit of tissue (and i mean small) insert it into the tooth for about a minute, this will give it time for any saliva in the tooth to soak onto the tissue, while this is in the tooth, get a tiny bit of rolled up cotton wool (or tissue if you have none) to hand, immedately after removing the tissue from the tooth insert the new bit. (If possible get someone else to retract your cheek while doing this, if they can then you'll need to close your mouth slighty as you won't be able to stretch your mouth wide while your cheek is being retracted.) This way it will be dry inside the tooth and no saliva or air can get into the canal of the tooth, This should help a bit until you can get to the dentist...while exchanging the tissue / cotton wool at no time close your mouth as it will get wet inside again, it needs to be really dry.

Thank you tina, :Clap: :Clap: :Clap:

this has helped me alot i can't feel the pain that much, I have to stick it out till tomorrow morning when the dentist can see me. I rang my denitist up this morning and told him i need an emergency appointment, coz my tooth is killing me with pain, he just told me 'i'm sorry we are fully booked' and told me to phone the NHS line, fecking twat. I didn't phone the nhs line but rang back my dentist to make an appointment with the doc and he booked me in for tomorrow at 12,0 clk. i just hope i can go through the night without the pain. Last night i was in pain couldn't sleep i was up on dw till 9.30 in the morning so i can ring the dentist fecking twat didn't even see me in the end. i shouldn't blame him tho, i only got myself to blame with all the late night munchies i've been eating.

Toothache is the worst pain ever anyone can have. !!

atleast we have our very own nurse 'tina' :)

thanks for the advice tina very much appreciated.

tlogic said:
Thank you tina, :Clap: :Clap: :Clap:

this has helped me alot i can't feel the pain that much, I have to stick it out till tomorrow morning when the dentist can see me. I rang my denitist up this morning and told him i need an emergency appointment, coz my tooth is killing me with pain, he just told me 'i'm sorry we are fully booked' and told me to phone the NHS line, fecking twat. I didn't phone the nhs line but rang back my dentist to make an appointment with the doc and he booked me in for tomorrow at 12,0 clk. i just hope i can go through the night without the pain. Last night i was in pain couldn't sleep i was up on dw till 9.30 in the morning so i can ring the dentist fecking twat didn't even see me in the end. i shouldn't blame him tho, i only got myself to blame with all the late night munchies i've been eating.

Toothache is the worst pain ever anyone can have. !!

atleast we have our very own nurse 'tina' :)

thanks for the advice tina very much appreciated.

Glad to be of help, Try to make regular 6 months check up's, this will help avoid this sort of situation to you and your pocket....lol

Tina any help in finding a dentsit i the NE (durham area) as when mine went privatised i did not opt in and now have no dentist.

I am on a waiting list for an NHS one dont know what is best to go for private or NHS as the costs are rising

Tech Babe said:
Tina any help in finding a dentsit i the NE (durham area) as when mine went privatised i did not opt in and now have no dentist.

I am on a waiting list for an NHS one dont know what is best to go for private or NHS as the costs are rising

Well, i don't know about your area as i'm quite a distant from you. Althoug if you look in your local yellow pages/Thomson or what ever you have up there, i'm sure your find an NHS one somewhere in your area, it might not be as local as you would like and may have to travel a bit, but i'm sure if you ring around a few in the surrounding area your sure to find one...as with regards to private & NHS, the cost has really dropped rapidley now on NHS, you are not charged per item any more, your charge more like a package, set fee for check up, xrays, cleaming, small filling etc... then there's like the second package which includes all the first package plus more and so on.
In my opinon this is what i think and from what i see, if you need cosmetics on the anterior teeth, then it's proberly best private although the fees for this is really high, if it's for anything else go NHS, the reason i think this is because....when dentist work in surgery's as an associate, they are limited to the labs they can use for anything that has to be made at the lab....i.e.crowns, bridges, dentures, veneers etc....the reason for this is that they have to use what the prinicple of the practice say they use and also because of the fees they are paid from the NHS, so you get a standard job that appears to be acceptable for the cost (if that makes any sense) where as if you go private they can send there work to any lab they want and by paying more for the work they get a better finish. a bit like going to Marks & Spencers and buying a t-shirt and then going to Primarks and buying the same t-shirt, you can certainly tell the difference in quality of the item and after a few washes the way look afterwards and how much difference they last, as for anything like a check up or fillings, anything that is done at the chairside then i would say go NHS, this is because it's the dentist them selfs doing the job, whether you are paying NHS or Private the dentist will give you the same result either way because it's him doing it, he won't give you a less better appearance if you are paying him NHS or a better finish if you are Private, it's a bit hard to explain in text form so i hope this makes a bit of sense...lol

I have to have a root canal done, and guess what its costing me 25 quid on the nhs. not bad considering.

So tina are you a proper dentist, do you work on peoples teeth or are you like an assistant? bet you have to hold your nose on occasions coz of ppl bad breath lol

Last edited:
Back