TomTom 7.9 on PDA with v8.15 Maps- Instructions

However, there are a couple of problems;

1) I cannot get a GPS signal. Earlier in this thread somebody mentioned that they had got it working by using another GPS connection (NMEA or something similar). I tried that at the suggested settings and it almost picked up a signal, but after several minutes nothing more. You previously mentioned that for an Omnia, you need to download GPS Gate. I've found that on the net - can you confirm where I install it and any setting up I need?

From experiance, this is what you need. Im not sure where you install it tho, although i would presum it be the phone memory.

Also, by using this, does it cost i.e., is it classed as internet usage or the like?

that i dont know...but i do know that i have a peice of software which downloads periodically satellite positions so it gets signal much much quicker and that uses data.

2) There are no voices, but presumably these can be downloaded from somewhere?

yep loads on this site if you look around.

Oh, lastly, somebody also mentioned using Google maps - is that something connected with TomTom, or a separate thing via the Internet connection?

This is seperate and uses data. also you cannot use it as live navigation for driving.

Thanks for the speedy reply!

I've read up a bit about GPS Gate and although it seems this is required, I've stumbled across something via google that may do the trick. I'll look into it a little more and will post back how I get on.

Would you be able to "point me" in the direction of that little piece of software you have that speeds up the sat fix?

Thanks again.

Thanks for the speedy reply!

I've read up a bit about GPS Gate and although it seems this is required, I've stumbled across something via google that may do the trick. I'll look into it a little more and will post back how I get on.

Would you be able to "point me" in the direction of that little piece of software you have that speeds up the sat fix?

Thanks again.

tomtom home will install a fix for youafter you install navcore 8 mate

Right, I've managed to get TomTom working on my Omnia without having to use GPS Gate!

I did a little digging and found another free software fix called Port Splitter. This can be downloaded from here Port Splitter download for Windows Mobile PocketPC / Windows Mobile Smartphone - Softpedia - I went for the Windows Mobile 6 pocket pc version as, obviously, the Omnia runs on Windows 6.1.

It's a CAB file and I simply placed it in the "My Storage" folder of my Omnia (on the internal phone memory of 8GB) and then ran it from there direct on the Omnia.

To summarise, you do the following;

1) Download Port splitter.
2) Install on phone to ('My Computer', click on 'Mobile Device', then 'My Windows Mobile-Based Device', followed by clicking on 'My Storage'). I also placed the 'TTN7.450.9028_repack.cab' file in here, unpacked, and installed direct also on the phone. I think I installed TTN7 to 'My Storage' and the maps to 'My Device', plus Port Switcher to 'My Device'. You may need to play around with these as I recall reading one post saying you shouldn't install the maps to the same storage area.
3) Open External GPS on your Omnia in 'Menu', 'Settings', 'System' and then by clicking on 'External GPS'.
4) Set program port to COM3
5) Set hardware to port COM9 Baud 9600
6) Open Port Splitter (navigate to your programs on the Omnia)
7) Set input port to COM3 (you may need to type this yourself)
8) Set output to COM1
9) Tap ADD
10) Start splitting
11) Open your sat nav and all should be working.

It took a few minutes for the device to find the Satellite signals, but was then running great once found!

My thanks to Devil for his assistance and it's nice being able to give a bit of help back to others!

Now, I wonder if there's a way to get TT8 maps on the Omnia.........................

tomtom home will install a fix for youafter you install navcore 8 mate

Do you mean Navcore 8 on thye Omnia? Would that then mean you can get the advanced features on the Omnia such as lane guidance? Or am I getting confused again???:Laugh:

worked a treat this....thanx guys..just need voices and cams on it now..
otherwise works perfect !

Tested with MDA Compact 3 on Windows Mobile 6.
This is TomTom 7.9 with the very latest maps.

1) Find the device ID of your PDA.
See step 1 of this post.

2) Download TTN7.450.9028_repack.cab from somewhere (usual places, just search in google and you will find)

3) Place the downloaded file onto the memory card of your WM device, and run, this will install tomtom 7.45.

4) Download vga.7.910.9185.black. (Tip: put the name into google and go to first result)

5) On your device, navigate to: \My Device\Intern geheugen\Navigator and extract vga.7.910.9185.black onto it, click yes to any messages to overwrite. (Note: the folder is on the device, not the sd card of your device)

6) Download UK_Ireland_815.2024 onto your computer. (tips: again, put the file name into google and plenty available) and extract it to any folder.

7) Download the easyusetool attached to the bottom of this post and extract it somewhere on you computer.

8) On the easyusetool, there is a text file called device ID, put your device ID in there (from step1), all captals and no spaces.

Move the META file from the map folder and NOT the DCT file. Hence the folder is called "insert_meta_from_map_folder".

9) Double click on RunMeforDCT.

10) Select the following options:

1 > 1 >

11) Navigate to the insert_meta_from_Map_here and copy and paste all the files into your map folder.

12) Copy map folder to the root of your devices memory card.

Run tomtom!!

Ps: this method will not work on devices with dedicated internal memory as your map folder, even if it is wm5 or 6. Map will need to go on external memory card.

Hope this helps..

OK, HELP...lol.
I have got as far as step 8...TT is running on my PDA but I cant sort the maps out.
I have put my device ID in to the easyusetool and save the .txt
I have moved the meta file from the map folder (United_Kingdom_and_Republic_of_Ireland-22.meta) to the insert_meta_from_Map_here.
When I click the RunMeforDCT.cmd I get the window but but is says
'The Path cannot find the specified path'.

Really stumped now as I have been at it all weekend...:Laugh:

thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone tried the TT7 version 915.9196? If so, what are the difference between this and version 910.9195, as outlined here? I asume its just an updated version but can they be installed in the same way?

Just got myself a Diamond 2 and am starting to explore the posibilities of these devices.

for gods sake...
i just bought a htc touch diamond 2...
"your device is not compatible with tomtom navigator" !!!!

Wot the hell ???

tom tom 7 works brilliant on my other devices !!!!
I take it i need a newer tom tom programme ? for windows 6.1 ?
im stumped how and where to get it, and how it will work...and will it work with this workaround thread ??

What do i need to do to get it to work ?

OK, HELP...lol.
I have got as far as step 8...TT is running on my PDA but I cant sort the maps out.
I have put my device ID in to the easyusetool and save the .txt
I have moved the meta file from the map folder (United_Kingdom_and_Republic_of_Ireland-22.meta) to the insert_meta_from_Map_here.
When I click the RunMeforDCT.cmd I get the window but but is says
'The Path cannot find the specified path'.

Really stumped now as I have been at it all weekend...:Laugh:

thanks

Well I am still baffled.I have tried a different map DL but still the same results...Anyone...please..

Back