TM 600 smargo

coley65

Inactive User
Reaction score
I would really like to give this a go at getting to work but it needs usb/to serial driver installing under linux.

The usb drivers are installed for the smargo to work it just needs FTDI 8U232AM which is the usb to serial driver. I found the driver on the net (I think) but I dont know how to install it.

Coley

are you sure m8? i had a smargo delivered yesterday, and the serial to usb driver shouldnt be needed at all

ive not yet had chance to have a good play with it though

Yes m8 I have the software and instructions do you I have got the drivers and instructsion for the dm800 dm7200 dm 7000 but there is none for the tm 600 you just needs the FTDI drivers I followed these instructions taken from the manual

check if the device has been recognized

root@dm7020 /tmp # dmesg
<...........>
usb 1-1.4: USB disconnect, address 4
FTDI 8U232AM Compatible ttyUSB0: FTDI 8U232AM Compatible converter now disconnected from ttyUSB0
ftdi_sio 1-1.4:1.0: device disconnected
usb 1-1.4: new full speed USB device using address 5
ftdi_sio 1-1.4:1.0: FTDI 8U232AM Compatible converter detected
usb 1-1.4: FTDI 8U232AM Compatible converter now attached to ttyUSB0

I tried dmseg but all I got was the usb 1-1.4: new full speed USB device using address 5

so I am assuming that the tm is reconized the device but needs the drivers.
I had it working in the debian server but the drivers were already installed.

I can add the drivers and stuff to attachmenst if you want it m8

One word of warnign do not update the firmware on the smargo if it is 1.3 or newer it will render it usless

Regards Coley

yrh if you could attach them m8 ill have a pley about with it

here you go

great news regarding my gamma card every ware on the net people were saying gamma dont work with well I got it going but no picture black screen but getting all the ecms etc some else tried my settings and its clearing.

Coley

will do this week m8, if it works for the 7020, then in theory, it should work on these as well

it is m8, i have 2 of them here

Last edited:
playing with this now, but looks like another script file is needed to install it on the tm600

on trying to install the drivers via telnet im getting

-sh: ipkg: not found

playing with this now, but looks like another script file is needed to install it on the tm600

on trying to install the drivers via telnet im getting

-sh: ipkg: not found

no ipkg package manager on tm only OE development boxes, is there not a tar.gz for the smargo drivers?

cheers

osborne82

what kernel are these boxes running Digi? use the 'uname -a' command to see.

Si

Linux MYSTB 2.6.9 #1 Fri Jul 17 18:36:31 KST 2009 ppc unknown

@SiKinn this was another problem I needd to ask with you about last night

I beleive we need the ipkg package but I could not find one for ppc. The azbox has the same prob as us and they used a mips version of it.

Coley

is the script stoping when it comes to install the 'kernel-module-ftdi-sio'?

What is the output of 'dmesg' command?

You would think it would be ok as it runs on a 7020, but that will install ftdi-sio through the ipkg, maybe thats the issue you need to overcome?

Si

tthe usb drivers are there but the but no usb to serial convertor which smargo needs
the script wont run as no ipkg package manager install I am sure if we find the manager it will be ok

I will go in search

coley

iPKG is a very lightweight package management system. It was designed for Linux installations with severe storage limitations such as handheld computers. iPKG is more than just an embedded Linux flash image builder, (although it does that fairly well). It also allows for dynamic installation/removal of packages on a running system. ipkg knows how to install both .ipk and .deb packages. ipkg is intended to serve the same functions (and more) for Familiar that dpkg and apt serve for Debian, (while taking up much less space).

Any Help?
Coley

am pretty sure you would have to go the way osborne82 is thinking get the tar.gz and compile/build it that way.

Am just trying to think off the top am my head, is there not a usb-serial addon in the download menu am sure i have seen it on dm boxes. I might be a million miles away though :)

Si

Ossy is on the button...
you need compiled ppc drivers,, but dont see why dreambox ones wouldnt work ;)

im sure someone could also compile it quite easily as a kernel module.

Back