Tis the time of year for ticks...

Him Her

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
So, if your beloved pooch picks one up on the next walk (or if you do!) here's how to get rid of the little b*ggers...

You could go to the vet but personally I'd like to hang on to me cash.

Cutting straight to the chase (things not to do later). You'll need some narrow-point tweezers, some antiseptic (spray, gel, cream), a container (for the tick) and an extra pair of hands.

One person holds the animal down and spreads two fingers either side of the tick. Using the tweezers grip the tick firmly as close to the skin as possible then exert firm outward pressure. The spread fingers are used to resist the pulling of the skin outwards. Don't 'yank' just maintain a steady pressure - we want all of it out and it can take a while (30 seconds is not unusual).

Drop the tick in the container and seal. Apply the antiseptic and wash hands and tweezers.

My tweezers - them ones the missus uses for her eyebrows are a definite no-no!

P1010306.JPG

Note narrow, pointy ends.

DO NOT:

Grab the tick by the body - you'll leave the head behind.
Apply anything to the tick (like a lit cigarette, alcohol, vaseline) - the tick will trauma and regurgitate its stomach contents into the animal, along with whatever nasties it's carrying (like Lyme disease).

The above works for people too (as in getting ticks out of 'em, not getting people out of your dogs obs.) :)

Have to be careful with the twisting option M8 - okay if you apply reasonable pressure at the same time.

Vet view is here.

Obviously, a key element is confidence - if you don't feel happy doing this then take a trip to the vet.

The main thing is they carry disease so you need to get them off as soon as possible.

Also, be aware that you can get combined flea/tick powders and sprays - we use Frontline spray.

I was looking forward to using it myself Tawke, the worrying part about that vid is how many humans have got one :puke:

Back