O/hdd/ctagonSF8008 OpenATV 7.2
Error
Creating hard link to time shift failed
The file system on your time shift device does not support hard links
Make sure it is formatted in Ext2 Ext3 or Ext4

Error1 Operation not permitted /media/hdd/timeshift.RYjC4H
/media/hdd/pts_livebuffer_1
Help appreciated

It is saying the device is not in linux file system. Didn't you format in linux file system (initialise) the hard drive successfully last time? What file system is the storage device in? Isssue following command in Putty/telnet window and post back the result

df -Th

Force formated Drive with Fat32 which it seemed to accept (let me mount HD)
Ithought in an earlier post different thread Ferret said didn't need to initialise just format and mount?
Maybe I misread his reply will have to go back and swot up

Force formated Drive with Fat32 which it seemed to accept (let me mount HD)
Ithought in an earlier post different thread Ferret said didn't need to initialise just format and mount?
Maybe I misread his reply will have to go back and swot up
Only to see if it could be mounted since every time you tried to initialize it failed,

Now it seems to mount, i suspect it will initialize

No Joy at all? Have formatted in Fat 32 in which it did mount but would not initialise or swop to Ext4
Yesterday formatted using "Aiome" into Ext 3 but Octagon could not mount or swop to Ext 4
Having similar trouble with 64gb micro SD which I was trying to set up for timeshift
Desperate to be pointed in right direction, is anyone familar with "Aiome"? then maybe tell me best option to use
Thanks

I hate to introduce a new method into this as i dont wish to confuse the situation for you.

I dont use Aiome i use mini partition magic. You can download it here

MiniTool Partition Wizard 11.5 working

I think the problem your having could be hidden partitions.

With Minitool delete any partitions and then format it to ext 4

Then mount it.

Thank you Ferret, I have MiniTool try that now! also spelt AOMEI wrong also found this:
I formatted mine with NTFS on the PC and then installed the NTFS-3G driver from the feeds and it all works ok. I am using various images from openatv 6.4 to 7.1 along with OBH and vix and the driver is on all images. This is on a vu+ solo 4k box and not the same as yours but assume it should work. This has the advantage that I can unplug the drive use on my PC/Mac also. You may have to reboot the box, not restart enigma to get it recognised.

Thank you Ferret, I have MiniTool try that now! also spelt AOMEI wrong also found this:
I formatted mine with NTFS on the PC and then installed the NTFS-3G driver from the feeds and it all works ok. I am using various images from openatv 6.4 to 7.1 along with OBH and vix and the driver is on all images. This is on a vu+ solo 4k box and not the same as yours but assume it should work. This has the advantage that I can unplug the drive use on my PC/Mac also. You may have to reboot the box, not restart enigma to get it recognised.
Was there any small partitions on the HDD?

To be honest I couldn't tell you I just went through the proceedure first delete partitions then format Ext 4.
I did notice that it has taken a small percentage of space would that be for creating a new partition?
Just read Abu's input good job as I was going to add both devices then reboot / now I'll just add the USB with the micro later if I should be lucky
Regards and thanks

Thanks to everyone who has offered advice on this one. I am up and running in a fashion, but have a couple of issues firstly through my lack of knowledge I seem to have started timeshift but cannot seem to stop it recording I found somewhere it had used over 300GB of the 500GB usb drive.
I did try recording also, which it quite happily started but cannot find any folders where it has stored either for timeshift or movies.
Lastly I left it recording by choosing a program in EPG, but will not be able to check for that folder until this evening.
What I intend to do is use filezilla to check for folders on both the Gigablue HD and the Octagon to compare.
Unless I am offered any other means of checking

Timeshift accepted, media/ hdd/timeshift but "media/hdd/movies" could not be found
although it showed it in bookmarks
Trouble is when I bought box it only came with quick setup guide, been looking online for full user guide but there doesn't seem to be one for SF8008
Regards

Yes that is what I thought, although the Internal HD seems alot more sociable.
I will FTP into Gigablue and replicat that on Octagon, that I think should do the trick.
Glad you were on Duty today, if you were a bit closer I'd buy you a pint

Looked at both boxes through FTP
No folders on Octagon all recordings and timeshift were in root of USB
So I added exactly the same folders as Gigablue?
Can you tell me which button if any on remote would open the movie folder to see recordings
Thanks

Back