timber decking

well here is a little start lol

IMG_20110413_143251.jpg

knew i could rely on you to come up with a very supportive reply :proud:

looked on wickes,they have deck boards at 3.6m which is near enough to 12 ft but they only do 3 m deck bearers,would of thought they would do em the same length?

Just build the base yourself with either 4x2 or 5x2 ;) Way buy pre cut wood, when you can cut it yourself.
You would also be better getting the timber from a woodyard.

I ordered my 6x2 from jewsons mate :) got over 3m lengths :D

they do all the hangers as well... Dont get their deck boards though, had to send over half my brothers back !! was bowed, twisted and foooked ! an even the stuff we did lay is now twisting :( after treatment as well

just trying to order all the wood form the same place.local timber yard was dearer that wickes as they are doing a 33% off deal at that mo,cheers for the help guys

give me the wood i can build no probs.ask me to order it i am fooked pmsl :proud:

If you have flag stones down already I would just build on top of those, not need to dig the posts in. Worst case you can get fence post bases which bolt onto flat surface.

I used 1m spacing on the bearers and 40cm for the joists. Bearers are bolted to posts using 150mm coach bolt and then joists are screwed into bearers using heavy duty angle brackets.

Exact same setup here pal but I just chopped the uprights, dipped them in oil to reseal, and stood them straight onto the flags.

That was 8yrs ago or so and they are still rock solid. I think them being on the flags actually helps as they aint surrounded by wet soil.

I put an upright in every 2 feet or so, staggered on alternating cross members.

:)

thinking about it now every fookers in bed and its quiet the height from the flags to the patio is 10 inch max,,,could get some 6x2`s that would leave 4 ish minus decking board,would be far of and less of a drop than that step is thats there :proud:

cheers peeps

If you need longer lengths then check your local timber yard. My local yards both do 6x2 and decking in 5.2m lengths.

Also get a chop saw if you can, or better still a sliding compound mitre saw. Makes it a piece of cake to get clean square cuts.

thinking about it now every fookers in bed and its quiet the height from the flags to the patio is 10 inch max,,,could get some 6x2`s that would leave 4 ish minus decking board,would be far of and less of a drop than that step is thats there :proud:

cheers peeps

Could use 8x2 :p 1 1/2 inch decl board.. pretty much spot on lol

If you need longer lengths then check your local timber yard. My local yards both do 6x2 and decking in 5.2m lengths.

Also get a chop saw if you can, or better still a sliding compound mitre saw. Makes it a piece of cake to get clean square cuts.

Could use 8x2 :p 1 1/2 inch decl board.. pretty much spot on lol
@oneman i think my mates got a sliding compound mitre saw

@Rs2k_Rider if you carry on she will end up with a balcony outside her bedroom window :proud:

@oneman i think my mates got a sliding compound mitre saw

@Rs2k_Rider if you carry on she will end up with a balcony outside her bedroom window :proud:

PMSL !

Now theres a thought, double decking :p

Ill get me coat PMSL

quick update.removed flags and relaid as they used to collect water and also made the area bigger as the decking was going there

IMG_20110417_185350.jpg

Looking good bud :)

Just one suggestion, I would fix facia decking to the outside edges.. then lay the top deck board...... then you wont see the frame... you also have something to rest the top deck boards on as the edges will overhang the thickness of a board if that makes sense.

ahhh shiiiiiit lol,i get what you mean,will have to unbolt the coont now and take a few inches of back and front beams aswell :FRIGHT:

just nipping to screwfix,,,,,,,need some bit,what did u lot use for the posts,,,coach bolts or coach screws,an have you got screwfix linky lol.......posts are 3.2 and joists are 2 inch thick

ta

Back