timber decking

bro

Inactive User
Reaction score
cheapest place per metre wanted for timber decking
decent stuff

TA

the best place mate is your local timber yard, DON'T GO TO B&Q as they rip you off,
you need tanalised wood (pressure treated) and you will be able to get all your 4x2(for the frame) , spindles, balustrades,newel posts there as well, the more you buy from them the more discount they can give...
the timber yard will also cut your wood to size free, B&Q charge 50p a cut..
oh and you deffo need a cordless drill/scredwdriver with a couple of batteries,
and go to screw fix as they do a big bucket of treated decking screws really cheap,
if you need any help mate just ask.......

the best place mate is your local timber yard, DON'T GO TO B&Q as they rip you off,
you need tanalised wood (pressure treated) and you will be able to get all your 4x2(for the frame) , spindles, balustrades,newel posts there as well, the more you buy from them the more discount they can give...
the timber yard will also cut your wood to size free, B&Q charge 50p a cut..
oh and you deffo need a cordless drill/scredwdriver with a couple of batteries,
and go to screw fix as they do a big bucket of treated decking screws really cheap,
if you need any help mate just ask.......

cheers for the info mate i have never done it before,me ma just decided she wanted decking so looks like i have to find out how lol

Hi Paul have you tried Monton Fencing mate its up near you
Monton Fencing Ltd
Place page
Lyntown Trading Estate
Eccles, Greater Manchester M30 8AW
0161 788 7838

Hi Paul have you tried Monton Fencing mate its up near you
Monton Fencing Ltd
Place page
Lyntown Trading Estate
Eccles, Greater Manchester M30 8AW
0161 788 7838
didnt know they did it lol,may phone em as an old mate works there

take a look at these mate, (i wish i had)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-hvB6J8RF0]YouTube - pallet decks[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufG4WU3aSeI&feature=related]YouTube - laying decking[/ame]

gives me a little better idea lol,basically it need to be 12 foot long,,,,8 foot wide and raised over flags about ten inches as it will be infront of patio doors and flags collect a bit of water when raining :proud:

Last edited:
as above but has come come about 10 inches of the ground,how many posts would you reckon for that and would they be 100mm by 100mm thickness

ta

need a good read on it as i want to make sure i get enough for the frame.i am usually one of them peeps that nip back if short lol

as above but has come come about 10 inches of the ground,how many posts would you reckon for that and would they be 100mm by 100mm thickness

ta

need a good read on it as i want to make sure i get enough for the frame.i am usually one of them peeps that nip back if short lol

Ive got an area about the same mate, and used 12 posts... 4x3 config :)

I used postcrete to fix them into the ground, lifted my flags... dug hole, put post in about foot or so, and cut flag back around post and relaid.

make sure they are all plub in line and I bolted my 6x2's across each side... then just cut link noggins to go between them and fixed at about 18inch centres.

HTH

cheers,lot of good info from all,best hearing of the experienced

@Rs2k rip the top of your decking of and take a picture for a better idea lmao

cheers,lot of good info from all,best hearing of the experienced

@Rs2k rip the top of your decking of and take a picture for a better idea lmao

Exact same setup here pal but I just chopped the uprights, dipped them in oil to reseal, and stood them straight onto the flags.

That was 8yrs ago or so and they are still rock solid. I think them being on the flags actually helps as they aint surrounded by wet soil.

I put an upright in every 2 feet or so, staggered on alternating cross members.

:)

If you have flag stones down already I would just build on top of those, not need to dig the posts in. Worst case you can get fence post bases which bolt onto flat surface.

I used 1m spacing on the bearers and 40cm for the joists. Bearers are bolted to posts using 150mm coach bolt and then joists are screwed into bearers using heavy duty angle brackets.

You must have a local wood yard bro there much cheaper Its only £9 a square meter in my local yard m8 :proud:

cheers for that,going to nip round now and prepare groundwork(remove flags etc etc)

will ring local timber yard after and compare prices

been looking at various things and will have to do like this

faqs.gif

Lowes.com : Build a Deck good site aswell

may move this to the diy section after lol

been looking at various things and will have to do like this

faqs.gif

Lowes.com : Build a Deck good site aswell

may move this to the diy section after lol

Dont have to fix it to the house at all mate :) Although I have, I bolted a 6x2 to the back wall... Sure mine is above the damp course but hey ho no damp :) been down couple of years now... although its angled slightly away with a 5mm drop from one side to the other :) so water drains away from house wall.

Same thing at my mates house. Bolted a 6x2 to the wall with sleve anchour bolts. recommendation is to bolt above the damp course layer.

Sleeve Anchor BZP 16 x 145mm M12 Max Fixture 99 Pack of 10 | Screwfix.com

Then used hangers for the joists.

Don't forget to angle slightly away from the house, even 1 in 100 should be enough though we used something like 1 in 50 I think, still feels level.

heads fooked with this,went to me mams today because of the feckin noise in this house,wife and nipper of work,got to me mams thinking i would be able to take it all in more clearly while having a mooch on the net,could i fook,me heads banging,niece was there with her two whinging little feckers :Kickassro

Back