Thinking of upgrading to 3D projector advice pls......

stevecuns

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi guys,

i currently have sanyo Z5 with maximum throw distance of about 9"8. This gives me aprx 200cm x 120cm screen size projected onto blank white wall (setting the zoom slider to full).

I am thinking of going 3D, thing is i dont know where to start. Have had a quick scan around nd found things like, passive / activ, 3d ready, full 3d & a 3D xl thingy.

if im wright im thinking i might need, 3d ready 720p activ projector (to beem onto the blank white wall) not sure about the 3D Xl adapter?

I will mainly be using the projector connected to my DM800HD clone watching 2D tv etc so it needs to play 2D of a similar standard to my current Sanyo Z5 (or better).

The 3D part is a toy really, so would prob just be watching the odd film or sporting event etc.

Another thing, i havent really experienced 3D & do wear perscription glasses full time (right eye is a lot worse than left eye if u know what i mean) will i be able to see the 3D effect?
I did pop some glasses on (over my specs) in a shop nd watched some darts on a 3dtv nd did nearly shit myself when the dart came flying towards me though ... lol

Any advice on what projector to look at would be great. If i sell some things i could probably spend around 300-350 (is this likelly to be enough). Im not sure about the short throw ones as i would have to have it setup in the middle of my room all the time (not practical). Would like to acheive the same screen size as i have now or maybe a little bigger.

big ask guys...

cheers in advance

Steve.....

Last edited:
Think you'll struggle getting a 3d pj for £350,you could buy the OPTOMA HD600XLV at £400 and buy the 3D-XL convertor at around £200 if you shop around.

Think you'll struggle getting a 3d pj for £350,you could buy the OPTOMA HD600XLV at £400 and buy the 3D-XL convertor at around £200 if you shop around.

cheers Oily, is the optoma DW318 any good for what i need?

will have a look at spec for the 600XLV now.

Steve.....

iv got the optoma hd600x and the 3d xl add on and iv gotta admit its absolutely great, dont watch that much 3d stuff through it but it works well when ya need it too, ya get 1 set of glasses with it, and i had to buy another set, think they were £55, i also got a spare bulb for around the £70 mark from china so the replacements are cheap compared to other brand projectors, some going upto £200 for a bulb, and optoma has to be 1 of the best names in the business, especially for home setups. quick and easy to setup too took me about 20 mins to do initial setup and get things fitting and looking how i wanted!

iv got the optoma hd600x and the 3d xl add on and iv gotta admit its absolutely great, dont watch that much 3d stuff through it but it works well when ya need it too, ya get 1 set of glasses with it, and i had to buy another set, think they were £55, i also got a spare bulb for around the £70 mark from china so the replacements are cheap compared to other brand projectors, some going upto £200 for a bulb, and optoma has to be 1 of the best names in the business, especially for home setups. quick and easy to setup too took me about 20 mins to do initial setup and get things fitting and looking how i wanted!

cheers for the info mate (think i asked u about this a while back but have forgot what u went for)

is it ok with everyday 2D? as i use the pj most of the time to watch evening tv etc.
whats your throw distance/screen size? my Z5 is great with the big zoom & lens shift, ie would like to just plonk the pj on a book shelve like i do atm & use lens shift to get it positioned on my wall... (not sure what the keystone is? is there a lot of play with position of the image). worst case i would have to get it celing mounted but trying to avoid that if poss.

steve...

Steve....

its fantastic with normal viewing mate, especially the hd channels, there crisp and bright, very well coloured.. my throw distance is around 3m and i get about a 84" screen, which is the biggest i can have due to the size of my wall and layout, which is more than ample for sitting around 2.8m away from the wall. as far as the zoom on the proj its ok, but its not a short throw proj, and yes you can adjust the lens to get the picture just right.. keystone is more than enough to correct to riight position at any height, you can edgemask and so on to further correct the image.. have a look on the optoma site im sure theres a throw guide for the hd600x to give you a better look!

Back