Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Mobile Phones Thinking I've Made A Mistake?

Exos

VIP Member
VIP Member
Had Vodafone call me this evening to discuss my upgrade, it's been outstanding since End October and I've not done anything about it....to be fair to the guy he basically agreed and advised it was pointless to upgrade my iPhone 4 to a 4S as side by side there isn't a lot of noticeable difference.

My data plan was 1GB/300 Mins/Unlimited texts, and I'll be honest my minutes usage averaged about 14 and my data about 100MB, so realistically i have no need, so just agreed to change this to 100 minutes, 250Mb and 500 texts for £10. I also asked about tethering and oddly they were unable to advise as the rep hadn't had training in that area.

Now, I recently ordered a Micro Sim from Giff Gaff as I was going to try their service and I've also requested my phones unlock code from Voda, but I've just read GiffGaff don't support tethering on the iPhone because of some dispute or lack of detail from Apple. http://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Join-Considering-giffgaff/Iphone-tethering/td-p/2431713

So the question here is; have I made a mistake or not, given even if I went with GiffGaff it's unlikely I would use as much as is available from the PayG goodybag, and tethering doesn't work anyway for the iPhone.

Last edited:
You could always jailbreak the phone and use Mywi, works perfect for me

It is JB'd, does that still work? I read somewhere it doesn't.

It's also only £5 for 500MB on Voda for tethering per month.

Is that with GiffGaff as well bronto? Again it's not so much that you can't do it, but rather their network doesn't allow it.

Last edited:
I am on 02 m8, been with them ages, I still have the unlimited internet contract that they keep trying to get me to "upgrade" lol

A year or so back they would not allow me to tether without paying extra, I have used MyWi ever since, had no problems at all, I don't think the provider even knows it's tethered, I think it's just seen as use of your internet allowance, as I say I use mine constantly with MyWi hooking my laptop up at work or whenever I'm not at home :)

Grab MyWi and give it a go, give me a shout if you need the repo to get it from ;)

Hope that helps m8 good luck

Have it installed, tried it earlier (man it seems to eat the bandwidth), just need to see if I get charged for it!

I'm not following you around ! lol!

I was looking for the "vodafone" thread that I started as I was just about to post, Virmin have just shoved a leaflet through the door with the following

100 mins + 3000 texts - £5.00
200 mins + 5000 texts + 1 GB data - £10.99
600 mins + 5000 tests + 1 GB data - £15.99

apart from Vodafone having the worst customer services in the world face to face as well on line (I'll dig that other thread up) then it's a "hands down" then for me?

I get 0844,0845 and 0870 at the minute with vodafone and 100 picture messages (not that I ever use them!) So I can live with loosing the picture messages and the 0844,0845,0870 as I think they just came out with a "tickle" from Virmin the other day from a land line, have to check if they are free on the Simm Only deal. I know the 0870 and 070 are not....which is fine

So I can cut my phone bill down to half and get away from Voda, !!!!

I'm just reading the small print to see where it stands, and then I'll get me puk code from vodafone and wash my hands of them!

(I want to see with the new virmin package it's a 30 month rolling contract then I can upgrade at any time, during the summer I hammer me phone so would need the minutes up the 600 a month mark as it's stroke home/work/phone etc.)

Last edited:
5000 tests, you planning a exam?

I just left it at the £10, but the MyWI stuff appears to be good and hasn't as yet showed up on my bill. Does me for what I need on my personal phone, despite as you say Voda being totally pants at customer support.

And your not following me....pfft...really. Is that you in the van outside with the blacked out windows?

LOL! that's my eyes that is! sitting to close to this black and white TV! (I must tell you about the bits and bobs that some one gave me, has a teletext thing where you can attach it to your computer!...lol, and some one out the kindness of there heart gave me a windows.........wait for it!, Windows 95 manual! - it's the thought that counts! (might go and stick that in the PC section!..lol)

Yeah thinking of going with Virmin like, got a test simm here, going to see what signal and bar I get with it here in the lab and also at work!

Windows 95 manual....I bet some of the peeps on here still have a PC running that...

How ironic the title is and what I've just gone and done, signed up with Virmin and done all the bank details and the like, and then just got of the phone from vodafone and to my horror there would be an early settlement fee of about £64.00 up until the end of the current contract which is up until may some time! balls, there's another footprint on my credit report and not to mention have you tried calling them back to cancel an order? they nearly went down the "you need to give us notice, virmin that is not voda) and then they happily cancelled my order, (Well done Virmin media - Great customer service so far!!)

so I'm stuck with poo poo vodafone for a little while, I did ask Virmin if they'd pay but they were not having none of that, not surprised like if I was just going on the £10.00 a month sim!

Dang it!

Back