Think i might have a new little project... fake ambilight.

Thommo

Hates everyone equally!
Reaction score
Woodlands Cemetery,Scarborough overlooking the sea
I get bored way too easy these days so am always on the look out for something to keep me amused for a while.

well last night i was browsing out of boredom and came across this so ive ordered the led strips and i will be ordering the other stuff needed soon.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

theres better videos of it in action on youtube but this vid is from the tut page listed below.

30 channel LED RGB Ambilight Clone

uses a pc to run the software to make it work, i think thats the only down side but its available for mac windows and linux... now what would really interest me is if some smart sod could get the program working on a linux set top box as that would rule out the need for a pc to run the software.

still lots of reading to do to understand it fully so dont ask me questions as im in the dark as you at this moment in time.

SOOOooooo anybody else fancy having a play? i know we have our members who like a there cinema setups with 3d tvs and onkyo amps ect... wouldnt this just finish it off?

Last edited by a moderator:
If the source code is available, like Amblone, it probably wouldn't take much to mod it for a set top box. It can be quite busy CPU-wise though which could be an issue...

If the source code is available, like Amblone, it probably wouldn't take much to mod it for a set top box. It can be quite busy CPU-wise though which could be an issue...

Not sure of the possibility of a set top box way or its viability to be done but i will say one of the threads i was viewing the guy had a dual core cpu and he said it took about 1% of that so wasnt that bad.

Now set top boxes are not great cpu wise so it may be not enough and i only mention set top box because of the linux link.

For now just getting it working via a computer is my task and if something ever comes along for a set top box i;ll be on it like a rash but i dont think its even been looked at by anybody at the minute and maybe theres a good reason why....... they cant.

They did have this built into a older build of xbmc though so some sort of ports have been done in the past.. ive seen it running on the old style xbox running xbmc but nothing in newer builds but im sure thats because the code back then used the modchip within the old style xbox to get it going.

Im just going to keep an eye on it and hope something comes out of it but if i have to run it via pc i have a acer revo sat at the side of my tv so it would be hooked up to that.

Back