The Raspberry Pi computer goes on general sale

little_pob

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
_58759696_pi2.jpg

Dr Eben Upton of the Raspberry Pi Foundation shows Rory Cellan-Jones how the computer works

A credit-card sized computer designed to help teach children to code goes on general sale for the first time today.

The Raspberry Pi is a bare-bones, low-cost computer created by volunteers mostly drawn from academia and the UK tech industry.

Sold uncased without keyboard or monitor, the Pi has drawn interest from educators and enthusiasts.

Supporters hope the machines could help reverse a lack of programming skills in the UK.

"It has been six years in the making; the number of things that had to go right for this to happen is enormous. I couldn't be more pleased," said Eben Upton of the Raspberry Pi Foundation.

Peter Boughton said:
That's eight weeks pocket money for me
Massive demand for the computer has caused the website of one supplier, Leeds-based Premier Farnell, to crash under the weight of heavy traffic.

School tools
The device's launch comes as the Department for Education mulls changes to the teaching of computing in schools with the aim of placing greater emphasis on skills like programming.

In a speech outlining those changes Michael Gove mentioned the Pi, suggesting devices like it could play an important role in the kind of computer class the government envisages.

"Initiatives like the Raspberry Pi scheme will give children the opportunity to learn the fundamentals of programming," he said.

"This is a great example of the cutting edge of education technology happening right here in the UK."

Initially the £22 ($35) model of the Pi will be offered for sale. A cheaper £16 ($25) version will go on sale later in the year.

Supporters hope the thousands-strong community of people that has grown up around the Pi will help develop additional software and suggest uses for the device.

The Pi going on general sale is likely to add to the buzz around the machine, however, there are already a number of similar stripped-down computers on the market.

These include devices such as the Beagleboard and the Omnima MiniEMBWiFi.

Bottle-necks banished
The Raspberry Pi Foundation say they have already produced thousands of the machines using a Chinese manufacturer.

Rory Cellan-Jones said:
The real task, however, is not about getting the Raspberry Pi out to that impatient crowd of enthusiasts. What matters is the kind of reception the device gets when it arrives in schools

They had originally hoped to produce the devices in the UK - "we want to help bootstrap the UK electronics industry" they wrote in a blog post - but that turned out not to be possible at the right price.

But while production remains overseas, deals with two distributors, Premier Farnell and RS Components, mean that production volumes will be able to grow much faster than previously thought.

Rather than the foundation having to fund production, distributors have agreed to handle orders and deal with manufacturers paying the foundation a royalty on sales.

Mr Upton says that will help the project grow much more quickly then previously thought:

"We didn't realise how successful this was going to be," he said.

"This means we can scale to volume. Now we can concentrate on teaching people to programme."

Source: BBC © 2012

Same here cant load farnell's page

Here is the Raspberry PI main site The Raspberry Pi Launch but that has also been having problems a they have put a notice on the site.

warlord

looks awesome!

id love to see xbmc ported over and the ability to stick a usb hdd in, would make a great mini media centre!

were does it state sold out like
From the Farnell website:
Stocks from Raspberry Pi of the initial production quantity are limited and these have already sold out.

However, it goes on to suggest that they haven't actually received their allotment of the first 10000 that the Raspberry Pi Foundation had fabbed.

With the initial run sold out, further runs will be ordered and paid for by RS and Farnell, who will pay a royalty to Raspberry Pi Foundation.

it all over the net no one has bought one yet so dont no how they can say sold out and rs components have stated they have not recieved theres yet either

it all over the net no one has bought one yet so dont no how they can say sold out and rs components have stated they have not recieved theres yet either

They went on sale this morning and sold out within a few hours, those who paid this morning will gt theirs when stock arrives the rest of us hace to pre-order and hope we make it into the next shipment.

In the exact same way that a limited edition can sell out before it's even released...

The resellers know how many they'll going to get of the first run. The initial run was 10000 units and RS and Farnell have sold out of their allotted amounts. However, the Raspberry Pi Foundation have yet to send the units to the distributors (i.e. RS and Farnell).

For ease lets say it's an even split; 5000 units to RS and 5000 units to Farnell (ignoring that at least the first 10 ten units where auctioned off). The person that placed order 5001 on RS wouldn't get their order fulfilled by Farnell, but go onto RS's waiting list for the next batch (for which RS will deal directly with the manufacturer) and vice versa.

looks awesome!

id love to see xbmc ported over and the ability to stick a usb hdd in, would make a great mini media centre!

Sorry to quote myself but someone on YouTube has told me xbmc is already ported, don't know if that's true or not but I'm now pretty interested!

Im ordering two, one for xbmc and one for a BSD type nas server and media manager that im basing on freenas. These things Look ACE! Looks like I missed the initial 10,000. I wonder if theres scope for raspberry Pi room on here somewhere

im on the intrested list even though i was up at 6 this morning, it was impossible to get on either site so i gave up.

im waiting to see who comes up with the best case for these and im not talking a manufacturer but weird and wonderful as in inside baccie tins or inside controllers or tupperware tubs lol you get the idea.

think once people can actually get there hands on them a PI room is a must.

think once people can actually get there hands on them a PI room is a must.

Have to agree - this is the ultimate...prototype for £20 then box it all up when it works. You can download the tools from a variety of Linux distributions and pick your own 'remix'

The media are pushing this as 'for schools' - BBC News - The Raspberry Pi computer goes on general sale - but it's too good for kids to play with :)

Finally....something that will crack N3 wide open LMAO!

Back