The Prodigy - Metal my Arse!

Status
Not open for further replies.

witchy

Banned for good!
Reaction score
Can someone explain to me why the Prodigy are being given air-time on most Rock/Metal music channels as well as having double page spreads on magazines such as Kerrang and Metal Hammer!?

To me they are a Techno/Rave/Dance band, who happened to release a one off decent album in 1997 (Fat of the Land), this was considerably heavier than their previous stuff, but it was still very Dance/Techno/Rave IMO, although I must confess I did buy it and I think it's a great album. ;)

Everything else has been rank rotten.

why are these people being heavily rotated on channels which should be showing bands like Iron Maiden, Slayer, Metallica, Megadeath, Black Sabbath, Pantera, ACDC etc?

It's fooking blasphemous.

:drink:

Because the metal scene is all but dead, so they have to cast the net wider. Not so long ago, I saw an ad for feminine hygiene products as I zapped past Kerrang. Kind of says it all, doesn't it?

You think that's bad, the last time I went to The Cathouse - rock metal club in Glasgow, I swear to God, they played Westlife and Abba.

It's a multi floored club, maybe I was on the wrong floor.

lol

one would think so lol

True, but the whole bulding is a Rock Club.

One minute I was head banging to some Slayer, next I was grooving to Dancing Queen. ;)

I'm not making thins up BTW, it really did happen.

lol

You think that's bad, the last time I went to The Cathouse - rock metal club in Glasgow, I swear to God, they played Westlife and Abba.

It's a multi floored club, maybe I was on the wrong floor.

lol

You are feckin' joking?

I've got relatives coming over from Aus later this month, the Cathouse & The Dreadnaught in Bathgate were going to be the watering holes during the visit.

The Cathouse was a great venue, at least it was a couple of years ago.
I haven't been in the Dreadful since they moved it from the hotel to further down the road.

As for The Prodigy, Fat of the Land was an absolute classic, they did write some other decent stuff, but that was THE definitive album.

My eldest was at Reading last year, his m8's Da managed to get him a backstage pass (wristband), he met the Prodigy, said that they were great & the Moshpit was incredible.

Hhhhmph, in my day we showed our appeciation for a band by tapping our feet, and clapping in time with the music...how times change.

True, but the whole bulding is a Rock Club.

One minute I was head banging to some Slayer, next I was grooving to Dancing Queen. ;)

I'm not making thins up BTW, it really did happen.

lol

So true mate even upstairs which used to be reserved for thrash and slamming went to the dogs.
Last time a was there i felt like an old man, it was full of skinny wee emo dudes who seem to think that looking depressed is stylish and they look too clean to be in a rock club.
There were no hairy uglies headbangin and shouting,,how can ye trust a club wae no hairy headbangers.
The worst part was the crap limp bizcrap, nu metal bollocks they played all night,, it was a metal nightmare..

the prodigy album "invaders must die" was a mint album too, thats a more recent one.

Agreed, at least the first half of it is as good as anything I've heard on their FOTL album.

I think it's obvious to anyone who isn't deaf that Prodigy aren't a rock band of any kind per se but they aren't exactly strictly pure rave or dance either though they lean more that way, the only rock they do have about them is that electronic rock - kind of like a deformed cross between of hard rock and rave and speaking for myself that's why I like them, their mix works well for me and they certainly have the look about them that'd fit well in rock circles like Kerrang etc...that's best as I can figure as to why they're featured in such places. But bottom line is it works and the fact that all 4 of their albums from FOTL to Invaders Must Die all went to straight to number 1 upon release in this country does say a lot.

Last edited:
the fact that all 4 of their albums from FOTL to Invaders Must Die all went to straight to number 1 upon release in this country does say a lot.

Yes but who bought them?

And since when does getting a number one album actually mean anything?

Year in, year out utter tosh like 'Now that's what I call wank" reaches the number one spot.

I can't see your average Kerrang reader rushing out to buy it, having said that, what exactly IS the average Kerrange reader these days anyway?

People that listen to The Prodigy and other sorts of pretend metal.

Hhhhmph, in my day we showed our appeciation for a band by tapping our feet, and clapping in time with the music...how times change.

Aye seedy, the cucumber sandwiches at those Discharge gigs were good as well.

tap yer feet indeed ;)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PA_4aviTcZM&feature=related"]YouTube - Discharge-Decontrol[/ame]

Yes but who bought them?

And since when does getting a number one album actually mean anything?

Year in, year out utter tosh like 'Now that's what I call wank" reaches the number one spot.

I can't see your average Kerrang reader rushing out to buy it, having said that, what exactly IS the average Kerrange reader these days anyway?

People that listen to The Prodigy and other sorts of pretend metal.

Yeah I can see how you might take the statement that I made in more than 1 way.....and unless I'm mistaken you just contradicted yourself in that reply when you said you can't see the average Kerrang reader rushing out to buy it and then later saying the average Kerrang reader these days listens to Prodigy....hmmm yeah okay then lol....in any case the fact that the Prodigy albums got to number 1 in the first place in this country proves they are popular regardless of what genre they don't fit into and I think that's the point. Speaking of point, I'm not being funny but I'm not entirely certain what yours is regarding that last reply and I'm certainly struggling to find how any of this is relevant. Even for a rant it's kinda thin.

And did I just hear you correctly, since when did albums reaching number 1 mean anything ? I thought that was the whole point and purpose of musicians releasing albums to try get to number one....for the popularity and the extra money it brings. To be number one in any business is everything.

Last edited:
Yeah I can see how you might take the statement that I made in more than 1 way.....and unless I'm mistaken you just contradicted yourself in that reply when you said you can't see the average Kerrang reader rushing out to buy it and then later saying the average Kerrang reader these days listens to Prodigy....hmmm yeah okay then

Not a contradiction, more of a statement of observation.

Meaning, the new readers of Kerrang will listen to any old shit.

The readers of Kerrang these days are very different from the readers of Kerrang 20 years ago, it's a festival of emo-ness and bands like The Prodigy with a mild spattering of old skool metal thrown in to keep face.

And did I just hear you correctly, since when did albums reaching number 1 mean anything ? I thought that was the whole point and purpose of musicians releasing albums to try get to number one....for the popularity and the extra money it brings. To be number one in any business is everything.

And that makes them good does it?

Steps were number one, The Cartoonies, Mr. Blobby, Aqua, an endless list of drivel, bought by children and feeble minded people.

Reaching number one may be the aim of any band, but it still doesn't guarantee that the music is good.

And that makes them good does it?

Steps were number one, The Cartoonies, Mr. Blobby, Aqua, an endless list of drivel, bought by children and feeble minded people.

Reaching number one may be the aim of any band, but it still doesn't guarantee that the music is good.

That'll never happen because of the subjective nature of people and music.... and to be fair neither of us said making number one meant they're good until you just mentioned it there, but to answer your question, does attaining number one status mean you're good ? Hell no. But it does mean you're making the most money. And that's the whole point, just look at the Wii for proof of this. Same point and principle, the Wii isn't the best console yet it's number one. I could give you countless other examples too.

If I'm honest m8 it seems like you're backtracking after having said something stupid and now you're trying to save face and cover it up....that's twice now that you've contradicted yourself as you said getting number one means naff all and then you backtrack after getting called on it and now you agree that's what bands aspire to - clearly then it doesn't mean nothing if that is what the bands are aspiring to achieve and so it should be plainly obvious that gaining the number one spot does have merit. It's not hard to admit you messed up m8, just be honest. That's all I ever am.

Last edited:
If I'm honest m8 it seems like you're backtracking after having said something stupid and now you're trying to save face and cover it up....that's twice now that you've contradicted yourself as you said getting number one means naff all and then you backtrack after getting called on it and now you agree that's what bands aspire to - clearly then it doesn't mean nothing if that is what the bands are aspiring to achieve and so it should be plainly obvious that gaining the number one spot does have merit. It's not hard to admit you messed up m8, just be honest. That's all I ever am.

What absolute fucking nonsene.

I'll let you think whatever you want.

What's wrong, did I say that the Prodigy aren't good enough and you're all upset?

Boo Hoo.

Kerrang...now that used to be a decent publication.

I can remember they did a spread on Wendy O'Williams.
She was topless with black insulating tape over her nip's.
RIP WO'W.

Anyone around my age will remember when Kerrang was given away free with the newspaper Sounds before it was released as a publication in it's own right.

That was a great paper, the NME was a close second.
Had no time for Melody Maker though.

mar-29-1975-sounds.jpg

What absolute fucking nonsene.

I'll let you think whatever you want.

What's wrong, did I say that the Prodigy aren't good enough and you're all upset?

Boo Hoo.

You do that lol. Dude grow up, to tell you the truth I don't even like Prodigy all that much so don't be so quick to play the fanboy bullshit. The fact of the matter is you're talking shit and you got caught out. Or to be more specific you tried to own me and instead of that you owned yourself, because you're obviously not that intelligent....tell me I'm wrong.....and instead of manning up and admitting you got it well wrong and that you made a mistake which would have been fine you tried to cover it up and in the process you failed big time. That's your fault not mine. Maybe you'll be more careful so as to not contradict yourself next time, but then again look who I'm asking. ;)

Point made, not going around in circles with you any more than I already have. This forum might encompass your life but I've got better things to do.

Last edited:
""Or to be more specific you tried to own me and instead of that you owned yourself, because you're obviously not that intelligent....""

A heard a couple of kids arguing the other day and they used that American phrase ,,, "i own you".
The only people who get away with saying that without looking stupid are black American or Hispanic women, they make it sound cool. like,, "a own yo ass bitch".
When Brits use expressions like that it reminds me off this..
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HA6iHuH3D14]YouTube - RAF Airmen Chat Up Some Hotties - The Armstrong and Miller Show - S2 Ep6 Preview - BBC One[/ame]

I like the Prodigy and fat of the land was a classic imo.
It was one of those rare albums that grabs you on first listen and it doesn't have a bad number on it.

Metal has went way too comercial now and goes against its roots where you could make a demo for 50p and you knew bands were not always tight and polished but they were honest and angry and thats what it was all about.

Now we have a million styles of metal and it doesn't have a cult following as its went mainstream and given birth to some really shit stuff like Mr Durst with his kid on anger and emo which suits the younger ones!!!
Why head bang when you can get all emotional instaed..
Aye, they are pure jag......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back