Tenant refusing to move out?

I know and now have one, but not for my own house I live in, how many people do?, but these fcuker want everything,
she even complained that the boiler needs renewing as it was too expensive to run ffs, just leave you ungrateful cow.

You do realise that if your house blew up, and the gas was at fault, that your insurance would be void? I would say your in the minority not having a corgi certificate mate.

@OP, surely the tennant can claim squatters rights, in which case she has 6 months to vacate the premise?

You do realise that if your house blew up, and the gas was at fault, that your insurance would be void? I would say your in the minority not having a corgi certificate mate.

yeah i went overboard with the certificates because i didnt want any problems... as well as the compulsory gas safety cp12 cert, i had an electrical safety cert done, had the fusebox changed to meet current standards, had shower fans moved to meet electrical safety standards, asbestos-lined fire doors replaced etc etc etc.

basically the tenant got a way better, nicer and safer flat than it was when i ever lived in it!

And that was just for a private letting... if i was gonna rent the flat thru the local council/housing association, the council bod came round and viewed it and told me that there was a bunch MORE stuff they'd need me to do before they'd accept it! E.g.... new firedoors on all the rooms, safety catches on the windows, the brand new glass shower screen would have needed to go etc...

@OP, surely the tennant can claim squatters rights, in which case she has 6 months to vacate the premise?

Squatting consists of occupying an abandoned or unoccupied space or building, usually residential,that the squatter does not own, rent or otherwise have permission to use.
So she can not claim this, kick the scum out

where are my manners... i forgot to say THANKS EVERYONE FOR THE ADVICE AND THE FEEDBACK!

It's been nice to have other opinions on it - especially as I'm abroad and I don't get to interact with people who know English laws anymore.

Can't she be considered as a trespasser?

Turn the power off.

not as long as she does not refuse to pay the rent just can stay there as long as she wants.

let her stay there till after xmas and get the agent to find her a place ,somewhere eles to go to and put it down that you have work to carry out to do on the flat like a new bathroom/ painting new plumming new electric whatever but dont fight her after all think of the kids they dont have anything to do with this they are just inocent bystanders.

and you will lose if it goes to court and she will get to stay as long as she likes.

Last edited:
It's not your problem it's Xmas or that she has kids.
She's had plenty of notice and is trying it on at your inconvenience expense.
Get her out now.
Anyone who says it's Xmas let her stay there for now well heres an answer
Give her your address and offer to rehouse/house put her in a hotel etc at your expense etc.
Always easy to play god when it's not at your expense.

It's not your problem it's Xmas or that she has kids.
She's had plenty of notice and is trying it on at your inconvenience expense.
Get her out now.
Anyone who says it's Xmas let her stay there for now well heres an answer
Give her your address and offer to rehouse/house put her in a hotel etc at your expense etc.
Always easy to play god when it's not at your expense.

why rent the flat out in the first place if he knew it was for such a short time
after all 1 year is nothing most people who have there own place take up to 2 or more years to settle in and have you ever been in her shose rent private accomidation suck all the landlord is doing is buy a place at the exspence of someone eles it more like day light robbery i been there being treated like a prisoner getting inspection 4 times a year,

it a shame that not everyone is not well of to get a place, oh wait a minute if that was so then no one would need to rent or work anymore would they
but pure greed all seem to be around in this world.
:Kickassro

Cuckoo land, the OP lives abroad and lets his property out.
Hes not a thief or anything just wants whats his for his property.
He had a agreement legally and gave notice legally.
Whats wrong with that.

is she paying the rent, or benefits?

cant the benefits agency be informed that her tenancy has expired, and she is now staying there unlawfully?

why rent the flat out in the first place if he knew it was for such a short time
after all 1 year is nothing most people who have there own place take up to 2 or more years to settle in and have you ever been in her shose rent private accomidation suck all the landlord is doing is buy a place at the exspence of someone eles it more like day light robbery i been there being treated like a prisoner getting inspection 4 times a year,

it a shame that not everyone is not well of to get a place, oh wait a minute if that was so then no one would need to rent or work anymore would they
but pure greed all seem to be around in this world.
:Kickassro

"Why rent the flat out in the first place if he knew it was for such a short time ??" ...
I don't understand your point? The tenancy agreement was for 12 months and in September when I was asked by the lettings agency if I wanted to extend it, I said no as the tenant has been problems (neighbours complaining about noise, special cigarette smoking, blocked up the sink by pouring cooking oil down it etc). So anyway the tenant had 3 months preparation time to move.

Actually if the tenant wasn't such grief, I would have loved to keep them there and just extend the tenancy for them. That would have suited me perfectly.

But either way, let me get your point straight... you're saying I'm in the wrong because a tenant won't have even gotten cosy and settled in after 1 year???? WTF?? Go down to your local Hertz car rental place, rent a car for the weekend and on Monday afternoon call them up and say "I like this car a lot and I'm just getting used to driving it - so I've decided to keep hold of it until I can afford my own car - cheers". Things don't work that way in life.

"i been there being treated like a prisoner getting inspection 4 times a year"...
I don't know about your previous landlords dude but for a normal fella like me, my house is the most expensive investment I'll ever have in my life - and having someone do a 30-60 minute property inspection on my investment 4 times in a WHOLE YEAR is hardly treating the tenant like a prisoner? I mean I know everyone always goes on about how prisons getting softer nowadays but come on...

"have you ever been in her shose rent private accomidation"...
yup - I live in rented accomodation abroad now and I signed a contract and agreed terms which both me and the landlord follow or we WILL have a problem with each other. If we both stick to the agreement that we have, then we will NOT have problems with each other. Simple.

Last edited:
Your not in the wrong mate,

IMO Im a nice guy and if they wanted i would have let them stay until after the new year but it clear the tennets taking the piss

Get them out ASAP.

She wont get rehoused if she moves, So she's playing the game. If its right or wrong i blame the current housing laws the council set for rehousing.

I know its hard for you, but court is the only way imo.

I am having a similar problem with a tenant I live with.

She's trying to do is get herself evicted on purpose so the council will have to house her and her kid. She's determine to jump to the top of the council housing list by getting herself evicted illegally with section 23. She meant this to happen in the beginning when she move in last August 2011, by having her son and her mum flew here from Zimbawe recently (that costed her more than 1k as she said) and lying to me about the plan of moving out. She has no plan of moving but getting rough. She told me that the council told that she can stay as long as she wants!

However, she is only paying the single rent for her to stay alone in the room she rents. She refused to pay extra when we have another empty room available. The most annoying part is, she moved in her son in that empty without the agreement from the landlord. And she is sharing a double bed with her mother.

Any advice for this tricky case? Can we remove her son and mother by police request (let's her stay only in the room she rents until she gets in top of the council housing list)?

Back