WiFi extender

silverdale

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
The WiFi in ours is poor but in the daughters room it's shockingly low to non existent not clever when she's on furlough. There is an ethernet cable going into her room via the main downstairs router then through a gigabyte switch in mine. The ethernet cable going into her room in currently been used by the Firestick as that was playing up on WiFi.

Question is, whats the best but cheapest option to put in her room so she can improve the WiFi and keep the ethernet hard for the firestick ? something cheap to pass though. I do have a old
ZyXEL P-660HW-T1 V2
I've dug out but no psu for it, would that work ?
Just something to let the ethernet to firestick pass through hard wired and improve here WiFi

You can disable the dhcp server within it so the routing is done by teh main route. It will then be a wifi access point as well as a network switch.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

So basically disable DHCP,
dont use the internet in socket on the WiFi switch,
give it an IP,
set up WiFi in its settings in the WiFi switch

Would mine do the job ok ?
ZyXEL P-660HW-T1 V2

I've just had a go but the ZyXEL config pages are slightly different in its settings.
I've changed IP
Disabled DHCP
Changed WiFi name password for ZyXEL

But now I'm faced with this page in,

Network/WAN/Internet Connection

and I'm not sure if I need to change anything. Can you please advise if theres anything in here mode = routing or bridge ?

Attachments

• 20210127_091941.jpg
    20210127_091941.jpg
    7.5 MB · Views: 9
Right well I'm up and running but the gear I'm using is old and sh5te gotta feeling its 54mbps The speed is a snails pace when tested in her room compared to the Router intermittent WiFi 2mbps compared to 50-60mbps.
It logged in out so I'm not sure if its channel settings or the equipment.

Can anyone recommended one 500mbps + cheap please lol...

I remembered I have an older
Belkin Double N+ Wireless Router F6D6230-4 V1
Would it be possible to use this ? It runs at 300mbps ample enough and 2.4 5g WiFi.
Can anyone please guide me through as there's a lot more to it and I'm struggling. When I change Lan I can't get back in with the new IP
Here's a snap of the configuration menu
Thanks
20210127_173925.jpg

Back