Telephone Wiring RJ45

sufy22

Member ++
Reaction score
Hello i have just done the electrical wiring for a newly refurbished house. along with the installation i ran cat5e cables to all rooms in the house from the loft. The Virgin tv/telephone line also runs to the loft where a telephone socket was supposed to be fitted and cordless phones were to be used around the house. however, the customer has now changed his mind and would like telephone points all around the house. my question is, can i use the rj45 wall sockets as telephone sockets aswell? if so how would i wire the telephone cable to the patch panel?

Yes it is possible to use Cat5e for the telephone, Wiring will prob be personal to your installation.

I would wire the main telehphone in wires to an empty patch bay socket then bounce them on to say the next 3 empty patch bay sockets (giving you a possible 4 telephone points). You can then use a small patch cable to link to the Cat5e room socket of your choice in the patch bay. At that room socket you will require a RJ45 to BT Master or Secondary adapter (you can get a BT socket that replaces the Cat5e wall socket if you prefer)

I hope that makes some sense.

would i then be able to use the rj45 socket for both internet and telephone? this is the way i have wired up so far. i also have a telephone bale coming into the loft. jus wondering if i cn put that on to the patch panel and then patch the socket to the swith to also provide telephone to all rooms aswell as VM dsl internet

wiringplancat5e.png

i would use the cat5 cable for your telephone then use homeplugs to distribute your ethernet network

the problem is my client is quite fussy. he doesnt want any visible wiring or complicateddevices sticking out the wall. if it is possible to patch the modem, rj45 sockets and telephone cable all into the same switch so both internet and telephone is available through the rj45 sockets then thats what im after. i understand id need to use pabx coonctors to convert sockets to rj45.

What speed are you planning on running? Ethernet works on 4 wires and voice on 2 wires. So you could split a cable orange and green for the data, blues for the phone. So in effect you use 2 outlets but only 1 cable. Obviously this is against wiring standards but is possible. Just make sure that you label the sockets so no confusion in the future.

probably only going to be a 2mb>10mb connection. instead of splitting the cable and putting a double faceplate on the wall, can i not just stick to the rj45 plate and just plug in pabx connectors in everypoint i want to use the phone?

probably only going to be a 2mb>10mb connection. instead of splitting the cable and putting a double faceplate on the wall, can i not just stick to the rj45 plate and just plug in pabx connectors in everypoint i want to use the phone?

Yes, given you have patched to that socket as per my inital post.

Each room socket can be a telephoine or a network socket at any one time! dependant on whether you have patched to the switch or the telephone line @ the patch bay

sorry to be a pain but could someone please explai how i would do this? do i jus patch the telephone cable to the patch panel the same way? and i knw i could use certain sockets for internet and certain for just the phone. but i would like to use the same socket on the wall for both telephone and internet without having to rewire in the patchpanel everytime i switch devices

First I think you need to clarify exactly what is it you are trying to achieve.

Are you saying you want the existing Cat5e sockets in every room (I'm assuming there is a single socket in each room?) is able to hotswap a telephone or Network connection? This is not a standard solution, is not straight forward IMHO and will reduce the networks throughput potential.

In my experience a telephone point is set and rarely moved so intial locations are set, but should a change be needed you are simply relocating a Cat5e patch cable.

I'm not a telephone engineer (Janobi Rings a Bell LOL! search for a thread here RE: Telephone Pin No's)

Master and Secondary Sockets I think would be an issue when wiring

Telephone uses Pin's 2, 3, 5 (2 and 5 being the pair that connect to your Master Socket 3 being the bell)

Wire the pair from the master socket to said pins in an empty patchbay socket, Cat5e patch cable from that socket to the patchbay socket of your choice, Master Adapter Cat5e to BT in said room.

For secondary sockets I would simply connect a piece of Cat5e in the patchbay across to the next empty port to the max telephone points used at any one time (4 is the max telephone's you can have because of the ren ratings I think)

Same as Master, Cat5e patch cable from that new socket to patchbay socket of your choice, Secondary Adapter Cat5e to BT in said room.

ahh i think i have figured out a perfect solution. i had a word with the home owner and he said he would need a rj45 in every room but telephone points in only certain rooms. correct me if im wrong. but can i put single rj45 sockets in all rooms just for internet, and split the cable in the rooms i want to use for telephone and fit a double telephone/rj45 faceplate in them rooms. then patch the network connections normally and patch 3 or 4 telephone points to the panel and connect them over to the master telephone socket on the patch panel?

this is the concept im looking for. and then fit double face plates (rj45/BT) in the rooms with split cable. rooms 1,2 and 3 will all have split cables and double face plates

design2.png

That looks basically Ok to me and the way forward, I've used that principle before.

I understand given the existing wiring the need to split the socket but by using only 4 wires for the network you do reduce the throughput (NO Full Duplex) this is why I would always run 2 Cat5e cables to any point if possible even for a single socket! (This is just a note for reference)

thanks very much for that. yeah if i had known about the telephone points before doing the wiring i would have probably done that. the walls have been skimmed now aswell so this is probably my only solution.

Back