Please put me out of my misery - lighting wiring

shabbaranks

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
Im fairly confident and competent when it comes to electrics but this one is really frustrating me. Ive attached some images - side A consists of a feed from the loft with another feed to feed the new circuit. Its also got the outside light 2 way cable and outside light cable run which feeds 4 downlights. The 2 cables to the left are the internal downlights intermediate cables for a 3 way switch. - the 2 switches I have are a 2 gang 2 way and a 2 gang intermediate switch.

Side B consists of the feed in\out which is for the internal downlights as I understand along with the 3 way switch cable and the feed to the internal downlights and 4 core cable. The switch I have for this is a 2 gang 2 way retractive dimmer switch along with a 2 gang 2 way for the external lighting.

I know how to wire the 2 intermediates into L1\L1 & L2\L2 on the switch respectively but the rest is a bit foggy - could someone help me please it's killing me.....

Thanks

Attachments

• Side A.jpg
    Side A.jpg
    310.4 KB · Views: 45
  • Side B.jpg
    Side B.jpg
    215.8 KB · Views: 47
Hi guys,
Im fairly confident and competent when it comes to electrics but this one is really frustrating me. Ive attached some images - side A consists of a feed from the loft with another feed to feed the new circuit. Its also got the outside light 2 way cable and outside light cable run which feeds 4 downlights. The 2 cables to the left are the internal downlights intermediate cables for a 3 way switch. - the 2 switches I have are a 2 gang 2 way and a 2 gang intermediate switch.

Side B consists of the feed in\out which is for the internal downlights as I understand along with the 3 way switch cable and the feed to the internal downlights and 4 core cable. The switch I have for this is a 2 gang 2 way retractive dimmer switch along with a 2 gang 2 way for the external lighting.

I know how to wire the 2 intermediates into L1\L1 & L2\L2 on the switch respectively but the rest is a bit foggy - could someone help me please it's killing me.....

Thanks
I'm an electrician and would certainly be able to help you with this, but I do not have the required posts to download images or files on the page yet. If you haven't got this sorted by the time I have approval, I'll assist you with this.

I'm an electrician and would certainly be able to help you with this, but I do not have the required posts to download images or files on the page yet. If you haven't got this sorted by the time I have approval, I'll assist you with this.
You have five posts and one like now so you should be able to…

It will take 24 hours @Horsey88. To be honest I can't understand why you can't see the pics, it must be because they can be d/led.

That is my understanding of B so far. For the 3 core cable on the outside lights 2 way, you will need to back off the other 2 way switch that controls this and copy the colours used in the com, L1 and L2. Do you know what the 3 core cable that you've labelled as "part of 3 way switching" does/did?

Attachments

• IMG_20210731_203717.jpg
    IMG_20210731_203717.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 21
On side A, do the 2 3 way cables go to the same intermediate switch?

Hi,
All sorted thanks guys... The problem wasnt my wiring I had it right from the start. The problem was my retractive switch which I thought would work as a dimmer but it needed a module of some sort, Ive since bought a proper dimmer with module and it works a treat.
Cheers

Back