Any electricians about?

melttc

DW Regular
Reaction score
Hi Guys

I am getting my workshop hooked up to the electric , What kind of prices should I be looking at for this:

Armoured cable from house fuse board to Workshop around 4 metres
4 way consumer unit fitted in workshop
2 led strip lights
and a few double sockets

Thanks.

depending on the time involved to do all the cable laying but it shouldnt take more than a day to do
you could save a few quid by laying the cables from point to point
i.e armored cable from fusebox to consumer unit
cable to the consumer unit to light switch and light same for the sockets
then all the spark needs to do is connect everything up

if the average is 50 per hour or about 300 a day you could save about 200 quid just by laying the cables

the cable laying is easy bit just put the cable near the main house fusebox and run this to where you need it in the work shop
as for scokets and lighs one ring for sockets if your not pulling too much load
and a single cable to where you want lightswitch then to the location you want the lights
if you want each light on its own switch its like the below
if now the switch can be on the way to lights
1643633826665.png

the cable laying is easy bit just put the cable near the main house fusebox and run this to where you need it in the work shop
as for scokets and lighs one ring for sockets if your not pulling too much load
and a single cable to where you want lightswitch then to the location you want the lights
if you want each light on its own switch its like the below
if now the switch can be on the way to lights
View attachment 142527
Thanks for that it explains it quite well

2.5mm twin and earth for sockets and 1,5 mm twin and earth for lights

and that saying he is self employed if he works for a company then there taking there slice

My m8's a spark of over 25-30 years own van top set up and he said right now its cat n dog. Sparks and other trades charging peanuts to keep their heads above water. He goes out some nights and weekends pricing jobs up with fair prices and the competition is frightening.

His brother in law who had 6 vans small company got rid of 4 vans and laid lads off. If you charged £300-£400 a day for residential work up North you'd be sat at home more than your working so what do you do?, you lower and compete with others or go work at Tesco's.

The countries divided geographically wage wise and has been for as long as I can remember. What you charge down south is no were nr what you will get up north, always has been always will be

if your mate cant make that per day as a good spark he would be better getting employed by a company that does and still get paid
30- 40k a year , plenty of spark jobs up north paying that

He's done cards in for alot of years till the company went to the wall hence solo. SW totally different to up north. I were bricklaying for a good few years in the 80's 90's. I could make x4 down south than I could up north there's a divide and cost of living. Go to Whitehaven or Workington and charge southern prices. The only thing you'll be fixing the remote batteries on the tv.

Anyway to the original question, find out which cable and wack it in your self and save yourself a few bob just leave enough popping out both ends. There's some v.g. D.I.Y forums out there were guys are really helpful on the techy side so it might be worth asking or a local Electrical wholesalers would give you some advice as to what to use.

Last edited:
I wired my workshop up last year. Did all the work bar the swa myself. Not able to work on ground level anymore. I bought the swa myself, a 25m run of 4mm.
Employed a sparky to run the cable along my house wall, up the entry and to my domestic consumer unit. I had already created a spare fuseway for him but he made the final connection.
He then tested and certified my work. A 4 way consumer unit, 6 metal clad twin sockets, outdoor twin socket, 2 independently switched led batten lights and 2 external security lights. All ran through pvc conduit.

He charged me £220 and was with me for around 6 hours. He was unsure whether my length of swa was going to be a bit tight so he brought his own at no extra charge. I later sold my 25m of swa on Marketplace.
I don't think that was too bad.

Back