Teenager shot with airgun dies

but it would help i you had to be in a club to buy one .

i think the fact that Britains 2 biggest mass murderers (Michael Ryan and Thomas Hamilton) were gun club members actually proves that it doesn't help.

It's always sad when someone die's because of these things but I myself own a couple and really can't see a problem or reason for them to be banned.

You could get killed off a stray golfball, and I bet people have, but that won't sell papers so it never gets to the headlines. Should we ban that sport ?

Rugby player recently died as a result of having a accident while playing, should we ban that ?

There's idiot's in this world and thing's shouldn't get banned for the sake of the few idiots.

I wouldn't like to see air-guns banned, I have several and was a member of a shooting club some time back. I now sometimes shoot on private land with friends.

I doubt banning them would be effective as there are so many tucked away. If you wanted to shoot someone the odds are that you would be able to get hold of one reasonably easily.

If the government took steps to ban them I think it would be akin to showing willing rather than some real preventative measure. All the do-gooders would love it :(.

I've had my airgun for years and never shot anyone, should I be banned from using it? Guns have been banned for years - but kids in Manchester\London etc are killing people every day.

My little cousin was shot in the leg and both my little brothers have been shot at in London (they live there) but that never made any papers, yet someone gets shot by an air rifle and it's all over the papers, why's that?

I feel sorry for that girl and her family, the person who shot her will no doubt be jailed for murder hopefully.

I feel sorry for that girl and her family, the person who shot her will no doubt be jailed for murder hopefully.

I doubt it would be a murder charge as they would struggle proving Mens Rea with an air rifle.

I doubt it would be a murder charge as they would struggle proving Mens Rea with an air rifle.
Its an air rifle, and the girl died unlawfully. So it would be pretty easy to prove mens rea. In the least, the grounds would be to cause harm or criminal negligence.

The crown may go for murder, which I think could be likely, given the gun related crimes that have been in the news over the last year.

Its an air rifle, and the girl died unlawfully. So it would be pretty easy to prove mens rea. In the least, the grounds would be to cause harm or criminal negligence.

The crown may go for murder, which I think could be likely, given the gun related crimes that have been in the news over the last year.

Bet ya £20 the crown don't seek a murder charge, you are correct about one thing, it is an air rifle, deemed by the GOVERMENT to be non dangerous as not requiring any legislation.

If you wanted to murder someone you would not go out and buy an air rifle would you ?..... any decent defence would argue same.

PS, what new legislation in Scotland concerning air rifles and production and ID ?

I bought a 22 Crossman air rifle for my nephews birthday in Glasgow in November and got asked for feck all ?

Bet ya £20 the crown don't seek a murder charge, you are correct about one thing, it is an air rifle, deemed by the GOVERMENT to be non dangerous as not requiring any legislation.

If you wanted to murder someone you would not go out and buy an air rifle would you ?..... any decent defence would argue same.

PS, what new legislation in Scotland concerning air rifles and production and ID ?

I bought a 22 Crossman air rifle for my nephews birthday in Glasgow in November and got asked for feck all ?

I bought a .22 rifle complete with scope a little while back, no ID or questions asked just whether i wanted it in a bag that was about it

I'm sure the law was changed quite recently and you now have to provide ID when buying an air rifle.

I'm almost 100% sure you should have been asked for ID if you bought it that recently, but
after googling I cant find anything about the law change.

I've been under the impression that the law was changed sometime in 2008, obviously I'm mistaken.

In Edinburgh you have to provide ID and your name/address to buy one. You have had to do this for the last few years, but I dont think it is down to a UK law.

However, I fail to see the need to own one if you live in Edinubrgh itself.

I am not sure it is legislation, possibly just a requirement by Edinburgh City Council. Here you have to provide your ID, name and address.

On the charges, they would be perfectly fine going for the murder charge. The simple act of aiming a loaded air rifle at the girl will be enough. For the legal aspects, this handy article gives a good overview: Murder in English law - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

On a personal note, it would be the sort of thing the crown would jump at - another opportunity to make a stand against crimes involving weapons.

i dont know about the gun laws were you guys are from , but here in nc, they teach a cource in school ( called hunter,s safety ) they tach the proper wayto use a fire arm , what they are cabile of doing it is manditory that each child or even an adult to take the course b-4 getting a hunting liscense, just my 2 cents worth

i dont know about the gun laws were you guys are from , but here in nc, they teach a cource in school ( called hunter,s safety ) they tach the proper wayto use a fire arm , what they are cabile of doing it is manditory that each child or even an adult to take the course b-4 getting a hunting liscense, just my 2 cents worth

nc ?..... New Castle ? lol

I think there would be a problem with that in the UK. I mean, its the access to illegal firearms thats the problem, the last thing we want to do is teach the kids how to use them!!

I think access is the key part here, I mean why would anyone want to sell an 11ft/lb .22 air rifle in the middle of a city for instance? You could argue that someone has a place to shoot it, like a mate in the countryside with some land, or that they belong to a club - but because hardly anyone ever checks these things you could just be selling it to some bored guy or kid.

There is no harm in allowing people access to buy air guns or air soft guns. Hell if anyone has a firearm licence here they know how easy they are to get.

We don't really have a gun problem in the UK. Most gun violence seems to be gang on gang rather than gunmen shooting at civvies.

Shame about the dead teenager, it was a terrible tragedy but an isolated incident IMO.

Compared to other countries, no we dont have a gun problem.

But, people are still dying due to idiots like this :(

Back