Technomate 9100 - Do I, Don't I

ellenbee

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi all, newbie so bear with me.:FRIGHT:

Firstly a bit about me. I say newbie, thats true for Linux based boxes. I've been running $lySt@r2 PCI Card via pc for about 2 1/2 years and am ok with that. Have been viewing all that I could from this system.

Now thinking about a Linux based box and have been spurned on by the current price of the TM9100. I know some people that have a Dre@mbox, and they think it's the dogs doodaa's, but frankly I haven't got the time to devote to something that is gonna cost me about £300 up (family guy - plenty of decorating to do - get the picture [no pun intended]).

I would like to get involved with something that I can learn from, but am not spending 12 hours a day for 3-4 weeks just to get a glimpse of a picture. I know sat life is very fluid - sometimes it's there, sometimes it's not), but stability when it is their is key.

I haven't done much Linux, but I've set up my own network at home (6 boxes). I've done DOS command stuff before Win took hold and have also done Pascal, C, VB, assembler and machine code on Motorola 6800 & 68000 based uproc's as well as PIC's. Never used FTP - is it tricky or straight forward?

Is the TM9100 something that you think I'll get to grips with? I've read a lot of the other posts but am finding it difficult to gauge how much behind the scenes support there is for this box.

Fanx for reading

Ellen

it's actually a very easy box to set up m8.
downlod TCC (technomate control centre) available from here, UR009 beta 2 and connect box to router via ethenet lead and you can be up and running with new image clearing D+,Premiere and TPS within 10mins once you've scanned the satellites

get one m8 i was the exact same id used a dbox2-c and had a pretty good insight into linux boxes but it is easy to pic up and well worth i had a tm1500 before that allthough that is a great box i really really like the tm9100. as far as these comments are m8

quote - I haven't done much Linux, but I've set up my own network at home (6 boxes). I've done DOS command stuff before Win took hold and have also done Pascal, C, VB, assembler and machine code on Motorola 6800 & 68000 based uproc's as well as PIC's. Never used FTP - is it tricky or straight forward?

you dont really have to worry about dos stuff as there are plenty tools about and ftp is easy and read up about them and you wont have to worry about keys.

also the 9100 as a better tuner than the dream 7020 have a look at the file ive posted its a comparison of tm9100 and dream7020.

i bought my 9100 about a month ago had it up and running the same day tbh i had a few probs but i and other people on here will help and there are plenty of tuts.

i think you will definatly get to grips with it m8 and the price makes it a definate buy if your looking for a linux box.

Last edited:
...also the 9100 as a better tuner than the dream 7020 have a look at the file ive posted its a comparison of tm9100 and dream7020.
I'm not agreeing to that, its one of those urban myths your spreading there marra, but blah blah whatever.
ellenbee said:
....but stability when it is their is key....
If you want stability then seriously the technomate9100 is not the key. Yeah the owners of tm9100's will obviously say its great, but dont buy this box if you're looking for stability. If you go for it then its because its cheap, simple as. You get what you pay for.

Thanks Krazylegz - it's good to know that it can be got up and running that quick - at least by someone who clearly knows what he's doing.

Thanks marra. Yes, I had already read the pdf comparison. I was lead to believe that the Dreambox and the 9100 both had the same tuners, but this says not. Again, good to know it can be functioning fairly quickly, if you know what you're doing. Also good to know there are others around who may be able to offer advice if things get tricky.

Thanks Pinkhelmets. I admit the main reason for going for a Linux box now is cos it's cheap, but to be honest I've not really had any major gripes with my pc setup to make me look at other systems until now, and yes, as you say it's cos of it's price. On what basis do you say don't go for the 9100 regarding stability. Does it crash or lock-up on a regular basis, when your trying to watch something. I don't mind niggles in setting it up, but once p@tched and key$ are in, I would get peeved if it kept blacking out or freezing once everyone is settled for the latest movie offering!!

Also guys, how easy is it to fit an hdd and what sizes and makes can it accomodate? What format does it record to hdd in; is it standard mpeg2 with muxed audio and video? Can you stream and watch a recording from another pc via LAN, recorded in .mpeg2?

Sorry for all the questions - but I would like to go in armed with info instead of blind!!

Fanx

Ellen

Anyone can write a pdf comparison chart, i know exactly where it came from and its very old commercial advertising b0llox :) the tuner in the 7020 is no weaker or stronger, they are the same.

If i wanted to spend around 110 quid on a receiver i admit i would go for a tm9100, so dont get me wrong guys. However the fact remains that yes these receivers do certainly lock for no reason, and yes they do crash, they do restart themselves and yes they are currently unstable. You also do not get a true pvr, yes you can record to harddrive but you cannot 'pause' like other receivers and streaming is poor too. Dont expect stable streaming, especially going from a pc into the tm9100. Dont expect it to be as quiet as other receivers especially when a harddrive is fitted. There are other issues also because its still being developed and you owners are the guinea pigs. You cant/shouldnt load images into the internal flash, like recently there were many that become corrupted from a recent release image and bootloaders had to be rebuilt by jtag.

Yes you get charts or whatever you like to show 'evidence' but reality is that nobody can really deny that these are inferior units to a comparable dreambox. Dreambox leads the way & this is the reason why image writers are basically converting this box to become as close to a dreambox as possible, and use the addons that are written & used for a dreambox rather than their own. When something new comes out it will be made for the dreambox, support is for the dream and then conversions and problems are solved over time so that the tm9100 can work.

I believe I'm just telling you as it is with an unbiased view. Perhaps I feel technomate owners seem to want to say how good it is and hide some of the reality? Like I say, for the money yes i'd still buy one! But honestly dont buy it because you are 'told' it will be a stable unit and that its better than a dreambox7020 or 600pvr. As for fitting the harddrive that is simple so no worries there and i know setting up will be fine because you'll find the help here if you get stuck.
Regards.

sorry pink i didnt realise it was a myth i went off what i was told obviously not allways correct i must be honest ive had no trouble at all really and still swear by this box in my opinion

TM9100 will do what a dreambox 7000 does, but my opinion not as stable yet, but a
good receiver, looking at your post if you want a linux receiver on fleabay you can get a DM500 for £86 delivered, much more support than TM, i have had a DM500 and a DM7000 for 3 yrs without any probs, unlike my tm 9100.

My honest opinion, get a Dreambox, and when the TM is supported fully then think of a change. you wont need a jtag etc with a dreambx.

well i'm not just saying this since i've got a TM9100, but since i installed UR009beta2 image on my box it has never locked up or froze or rebooted since it's been on and it's been more stable than my DM500 was.

as for the pvr i'm going to get a new HDD today and put it in so i can check out the pvr functions,but in time it will be able to do the same as the dreambox 7020 as the pvr functions will be wrote into the cvs in the image.

Thanks to all for their comments.

One last thing. I realise these boxes can have an hdd fitted, as can the dreams. Can you also fit a dvd drive along with an hdd (in both the dreams and the tm9100)? I realise it will not fit in the box and will have to sit externally via as short a cable distance as possible, but can it be done? Without ever playing with one, the fact that it's essentially a pc with a sat tuner in it, says to me that it can. Has anyone ever tried? If so, is it the normal hdd set to master, dvd set to slave?

In case your wondering why I want to know - I have 3 years worth of movies burnt onto dvd as straight mpeg2's, each movie length ranges from 2GB - 4GB from my pc and skyst@r2 card as mentioned previously. A standalone dvd player will only play the first 1GB (as in standard commercial dvd burns), after that it doesn't know what to do and just goes back to the menu.

With this back collection, I would also like to be able to put a dvd that I've burnt containing 1-3 movies (depending on legnth) into the dvd player, and the box be able to recognise it and play it.

Thanks for your continued patience.

Back