swine flu bahh

Status
Not open for further replies.

witchy

Banned for good!
Reaction score
Sad to hear of this Hoppy, but your friend most likely had every chance of dying from the normal strain of Flu, all Flu's are a killer, not just Swine Flu.

I wish the seriousness of your common average everyday Flu was drummed into peoples heads and not just hype over Swine Flu.

Last edited:
Re: first person i know that has died from swine flu.

Sad to hear of this Hoppy, but your friend most likely had every chance of dying from the normal strain of Flu, all Flu's are a killer, not just Swine Flu.

I wish the seriousness of your common average everyday Flu was drummed into peoples heads and not just hype over Swine Flu.

Normal seasonal flu is bad in certain cases generally the old, or people with health conditions. What is unique with swine flu is perfectly well people are dying that have no other conditions. Swine flu obviously is dangerous to the same groups as seasonal flu.

Swine flu in my opinion is much much more dangerous than normal flu. Yes normal flu makes you feel like the world has fallen out of ya, but its very rare to have serious secondary infections.

Swine flu in my opinion is much much more dangerous than normal flu. Yes normal flu makes you feel like the world has fallen out of ya, but its very rare to have serious secondary infections.

I'm sure I don't need to as you will already know, but will I quote how many tens of thousand of Americans alone die from normal seasonal flu every year?

Why do the health service seem keen to play this down, why aren't fatality rates included in their 'Flu Jab' adverts?

The swine flu has been a massive anti-climax, hyped up beyond belief.

I'm sure I don't need to as you will already know, but will I quote how many tens of thousand of Americans alone die from normal seasonal flu every year?

Why do the health service seem keen to play this down?

The swine flu has been a massive anti-climax, hyped up beyond belief.

yes many people die from normal flu, but as said they are not usually fully fit/healthy people. This is what is unique here.

The health service don't play it down, its on the news yearly to my recollection.... but about the old in general.... as young people do not generally die from normal flu.

As for it being "hyped up beyond belief" ... very selfish comment imho being the title of the thread. I am sure many many others have the same view, All I can say is lets see if their views change come March/April next year.... once this 2nd wave has taken hold and passing :(

Im not going to discuss the in's and out's of it here mate, no offence but this thread is not the place. :)

Why not?

OP has already stated that he is not grieving etc, it's a sad topic indeed but the thread is more of a news topic from a personal point of view, instead of someone expressing heartfelt feelings.

But I agree, there's no point in us continuing with this, we'll agree to disagree :)

As for it being "hyped up beyond belief" ... very selfish comment imho being the title of the thread. I am sure many many others have the same view, All I can say is lets see if their views change come March/April next year.... once this 2nd wave has taken hold and passing :(

You mention the 2nd wave of Flu, when that doesn't materialize either, will you tell us all to wait for the 3rd wave, is that what your bosses tell you?

You mention the 2nd wave of Flu, when that doesn't materialize either, will you tell us all to wait for the 3rd wave, is that what your bosses tell you?

? So when do you know of the "seasonal" flu virus being present in the numbers we had THIS summer ?

Hence FIRST WAVE.

It dropped out once the children went on school holidays.

Children are now back to school, as well as the climate being at a temperature to sustain the virus's spread.... thus SECOND WAVE.

As said, Im not going to argue about the ins and outs. I hope you dont have to deal with this virus, but the odd's are there will be few it does not touch.

As said, Im not going to argue about the ins and outs. I hope you dont have to deal with this virus, but the odd's are there will be few it does not touch.

Blah Blah Blah, panic, death destruction, the sky is falling!

We just need to look at the official projected figures for the summer months and compare them to actual figures, what we were told would happen, simply didn't happen.

Please don't reply, you sound like a broken record.

;)

Blah Blah Blah, panic, death destruction, the sky is falling!

We just need to look at the official projected figures for the summer months and compare them to actual figures, what we were told would happen, simply didn't happen.

Please don't reply, you sound like a broken record.

;)

Now what are you referring to ? the "worst case" figures ? or the expected figures ?

Either way, you can argue what you like. That is not going to help the people this virus is going to affect, I am certain as it gets colder it will become widespread again. Look at the figures so far in the past few weeks of infection ! Speaks for itself. Jump In Swine Flu Cases As Vaccination Could Begin In Mid-October | UK News | Sky News

Do yourself a favour and DONT reply... your boring me.

Do yourself a favour and DONT reply... your boring me.

PMSL.

If I didn't do myself a favour and I did reply, what would happen? :)

Sponge.
:Cheers:

This is the very reason why I have been trying to drum home the seriousness of this illness :(

Your wasting your time when you're up against the sort of mindset that witchy has displayed in this thread. :grayno:

I don't think this is the type of thread to debate the ifs or buts of swine flu. We have had those threads before.

Sorry to hear of that news hoppy...I know you are not grieving but you are in shock and so is your sister and the family concerned.

lol, I just think it's media fueled bollox :)

That's all.

Apologies to OP if he feels offended at the way the thread has changed, but I honestly do not think this thread was created as a mournful post, more of a factual statement.

Last edited:

Whereas I agree with witchy that the media need something to blather about 24 hours a day, swine flu is the same in most respects as normal flu, with one major difference.

The difference is, is that we have as a race built up a healthy immunity (not complete, but partial) with the strains of influenza we normally come into contact with.

Swine flu, whilst having the same potential as common types of influenza, could be a lot more devastating because of its unique genetic make up. It has the potential to be deadly, and kill thousands, possibly millions if it takes grip.

The key here, is 'could' be. It has not materialised yet (although there are some correlations between infection and death with people that are apparently 'healthy'). The world health organization is on high alert because it should be. That is its job.

I just hope they are all wrong, as I am sure they do.

See, even the Lord himself agrees with me!

Instead of deleting these from hoppy's thread Ive created a new thread in the rant room

these kinda posts should never have been posted on hoppy's thread :(

although I do not agree with W posts he is entitled to his opinion

so hopefully here it can be debated and members will be educated on the subject :)

Instead of deleting these from hoppy's thread Ive created a new thread in the rant room

these kinda posts should never have been posted on hoppy's thread :(

although I do not agree with W posts he is entitled to his opinion

so hopefully here it can be debated and members will be educated on the subject :)

Agree totally mate :) Sorry again Hoppy as per pm mate :)

Nara - your right I think, its a sad state when people wont listen for their own good.

I admire your optimism. :Cheers:

Indeed, I'm not going to bother wasting my time trying to explain any more.

If anyone wants any serious advise then feel free to msg me :)

My wife was in the local health centre last week (nothing important), and was sat in the waiting room when some cretin was stood up mouthing off to her mates (mid 30s, chaiver than an imported box of 100% chav from chavland), and asked the question when looking at a poster:

'What is Influenza?'

Perhaps if only we could genetically modify the virus to attack pillocks, we would be in a better position as a race.

Anyway, I think Witchy's point remains, even though he was probably pissed and being an argumentative twat. Think of it this way, by taking it out on us, a haggis lives.

I will try to condense again what I sort of laboured around.

Seasonal Flu in its variants have been with us for years, and the healthier you are the more chance you had of it not affecting you too much. The weak are killed yearly in their thousands by this strain(s).

Swine Flu is a different strain, and not one that we have encountered as a race recently. This means that our immune systems are not as familiar with it, which leads to not only the weak being affected, but also the strong.

The immune system can overreact and start attacking the body, something called a 'Cytokine storm'. this appears to be what happened to Hoppy's mate.

This is why (why is your nick so bloody hard to retype!) rs2ooo16valve is being so careful about it.

It is not that the virus in and of itself is more dangerous than seasonal flu, but that we are less equipped as a race to deal with it.

I won't go quoting the many flu epidemics/pandemics but suffice to say, influenza as a whole is one nasty bastard, so we should all be cautious, be it swine or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back