swine flu bahh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: first person i know that has died from swine flu.

My wife was in the local health centre last week (nothing important), and was sat in the waiting room when some cretin was stood up mouthing off to her mates (mid 30s, chaiver than an imported box of 100% chav from chavland), and asked the question when looking at a poster:

'What is Influenza?'

Perhaps if only we could genetically modify the virus to attack pillocks, we would be in a better position as a race.

Anyway, I think Witchy's point remains, even though he was probably pissed and being an argumentative twat. Think of it this way, by taking it out on us, a haggis lives.

I will try to condense again what I sort of laboured around.

Seasonal Flu in its variants have been with us for years, and the healthier you are the more chance you had of it not affecting you too much. The weak are killed yearly in their thousands by this strain(s).

Swine Flu is a different strain, and not one that we have encountered as a race recently. This means that our immune systems are not as familiar with it, which leads to not only the weak being affected, but also the strong.

The immune system can overreact and start attacking the body, something called a 'Cytokine storm'. this appears to be what happened to Hoppy's mate.

This is why (why is your nick so bloody hard to retype!) rs2ooo16valve is being so careful about it.

It is not that the virus in and of itself is more dangerous than seasonal flu, but that we are less equipped as a race to deal with it.

I won't go quoting the many flu epidemics/pandemics but suffice to say, influenza as a whole is one nasty bastard, so we should all be cautious, be it swine or not.

Spot on mozr.

Although, the vast amounts of people it is fatal due to the secondary infection.... normally pneumonia :( and a severe dose at that. Most people that get to this stage require a heart/lung machine to take over as their lungs just can not supply the oxygen needed.

I prob was not clear enough about the virus, yes it is flu... as mozr says, a strain we have not come across in the recent history. So the infection from the H1N1 is pretty nasty in some cases, causing further problems. This is where the danger is.

As is my saying "IF IN DOUBT, GET IT CHECKED OUT"

....... even though he was probably pissed and being an argumentative twat.

Who? Witchy? :)

The immune system can overreact and start attacking the body, something called a 'Cytokine storm'. this appears to be what happened to Hoppy's mate.

.....and that's where the danger lies. It was the cytokine storm that killed millions worldwide during the 1918 flu epidemic. In fact, the stronger your immune system, the more severe the reaction.

Hi all ive just joined. and would like to say that half my team m8's have all came down with the swine flu!!

if u need anti biotics every time u get a cold then go see your doctor

99% of people who dont suffer from secondary infections from colds / flu will think swine flu is a normal flu

people panic about this

well lets all have anxiety and panic attacks about it

why not panic about our teenage white british lads losing their lives and limps over in iraq and Afghanistan fighting a war that doesn't exist

why dont you give a shit is cos it doesn't affect you

this country's main disease is stress and panic not swine flu

I'm sure I read once that nicotine going into your lungs can stop or slow the cytokine storm, and help reduce the inflammation.

Smoking helps...that would be a first.

Anyway, I think Witchy's point remains, even though he was probably pissed and being an argumentative twat.

Swine flu is a pile of wank and I couldn't care less about it.

......and yes, I was pissed ;)

We have a bloke who one minute is telling everyone that he claim invalidity benefit and cannot work, then a few months later reinvents himself as Dr. Fooking Kildare, spreading fear and panic.

I'll get my info on Swine Flu from Google thank you very much.

That's me finished with this topic.
:Cheers:

We have a bloke who one minute is telling everyone that he claim invalidity benefit and cannot work, then a few months later reinvents himself as Dr. Fooking Kildare, spreading fear and panic.

I can't resist this Witchy:

Never mind swine flu, you make me sick!

tee hee!

:) :) :)

Think W has a point here one minute you working in the NHS the next your on the dole

https://www.digitalworldz.co.uk/index.php?threads/218192/
:err:

Last edited by a moderator:

Think W has a point here one minute you working in the NHS the next your on the dole

https://www.digitalworldz.co.uk/index.php?threads/218192/
:err:

That might me true mate but it doesn't make his info any less relevant or interesting.

I think we can all agree that his intentions are for the good and so I don't think he deserves any personal grief.

Oink.

:)

Last edited by a moderator:

Ah, it's good to be back, Witchy, Mozr etc, I now realise how much I missed you all...!

By all means debate the topic but please dont start with the personal digs at each other. If you cant keep it coherant and civil then dont bother debating at all !

That might me true mate but it doesn't make his info any less relevant or interesting.

I think we can all agree that his intentions are for the good and so I don't think he deserves any personal grief.

Oink.

:)

But is it true? Relevant,interesting?? Not much use if people are dying is it?

Swine flu,is it real...yes.
Would I have the vaccine...no way!

I'm more bothered about my kids to be honest. I don't want them to have the vaccine,untried and untested and all that.
In the US they are segregating children and not allowing them to go to school unless they've been vaccinated.
I don't want to be put in that position.

Shall we go back to basics so Nara can keep up.

Swine flu is not a killer. Secondary infection is..the two are linked when they shouldn't be. Underlying medical conditions are the real swine flu killers,not the flu itself.

I don't want them to have the vaccine,untried and untested and all that.

Of course its been tested, it's been tested in groups nationally...?

By all means debate the topic but please dont start with the personal digs at each other. If you cant keep it coherant and civil then dont bother debating at all !

Was that for me? I was being totally genuine, I'd forgotten the quality of laughs I got around here. For humour you can't beat Witchy or Mozr.

Apologies if you felt I was taking the piss. I wasn't, though can see it maybe does look that way.

Shall we go back to basics so Nara can keep up.

He is very old. Thanks for helping him.

Swine flu is not a killer. Secondary infection is..the two are linked when they shouldn't be. Underlying medical conditions are the real swine flu killers,not the flu itself.

The two should not be linked eh? Causality dictates that logically if swine flu is the catalyst and pneumonia (for example) is the actual medical problem that kills the patient, then there is a link.

You have missed the point. The difference is that swine flu has the potential to kill healthy people because of the cykotine storm effect. Wheras normal flu can overwhelm the poor immune systems of those with existing medical issues, it is the healthy humans own immune system that can overwhelm the body by trying to fight swine flu ineffectively.

Now after all that, as I have been hopefully clear, at present Swine Flu does NOT and is NOT causing a swathe of problems for humanity (just a few special cases). It does have the potential to do so, which is why it is being monitored.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back