Super hub do's and don't

just set you "superhub" as modem only.... :cool:

any reason why, is the wireless side of it no good for laptops ipod and ipad2 and phones on wifi, kids computers are on home plugs so that should be ok.

it sounds as though it's just waiting for the go ahead to boot, as though the dream is sending a signal to the server and then waiting for a responce, when it doens't get one it sits waiting, when you un-plug the ethernat cable then the box knows that it hasn't got a connection and then carries on booting and then you plug it back in and everything works.

I can send you a small switch if you want and that can sit inbetween the box and your router, have you tried that at all?

and this only happens when you plug it into the super hub....I'll have to investigate further!

(p.s sorry to hijack your thread Napster mate)

:comp1:

yep, only happens with hub, which is strange lol.

thanks for the offer of the switch, but its not that much of a big deal,once the box is on it stays on al day anways. :)

ive had my hub since october time.... ive had no probs with connecting laptops, phones and kindles anywhere in my house...

i just keep getting virmin network probs lol.

any reason why, is the wireless side of it no good for laptops ipod and ipad2 and phones on wifi, kids computers are on home plugs so that should be ok.
Only real problem i had was the dreambox was disconnecting about 4 or 5 times each minute so was quite annoying, but those are now cabled so no idea if it's still happening.

I was experimenting with my hub today and found that i could get 3.7mb/s wired. Strange, the highest i get up to on wifi is 3.1mb/s (for a few seconds). I'm chalking this up to the superhub's notorious reputation as a mediocre/bad router. Am i right, or will it be interference or something? My channel is 11 and i've used inSSIDer to make sure my neighbours are mostly on other channels.

Tried putting it in modem mode today and connected a white Netgear modem to it (forgot model) and could only get 1.5mb/s, when back in days i used to get 2.4mb/s (20meg) with that router. Has anyone got any tips on ensuring the superhub is outputting the full 30Mb, or shall i invest in another router? I gave away a WRT54GSv4 a few years ago, should i get it back :Frog:?

I don't really mind that i only get 3.1mb/s on wifi, it's just that on the whole, the superhub reboots once every few days, gets unreliable at certain times of the day etc, things which i had never experienced with older modem + linksys router combo. I had just chalked this behaviour up to virgin's network!

30mbps of virgin will give you 3 meg speed via the lan and to the wi-fi as it's an "n" router, the old one that you plugged in is probably not a "n" router and one of the old "G" ones? this would then explain as the router will only be 54mps and less on wi-fi......stick with an "n" one, (or the hub) the only way you'd get a little faster is you'd have to upgrade to the 50 meg or more package, this means that the super hub would download faster and there fore be able to push faster wi-fi via "n" to your devices, but the old routers that haven't got "n" will max out at about 1 - 1.5 meg via wi-fi

Don't confuse your wan speed with your wi-fi speed....;)

Last edited:
I was experimenting with my hub today and found that i could get 3.7mb/s wired. Strange, the highest i get up to on wifi is 3.1mb/s (for a few seconds). I'm chalking this up to the superhub's notorious reputation as a mediocre/bad router. Am i right, or will it be interference or something? My channel is 11 and i've used inSSIDer to make sure my neighbours are mostly on other channels.

Tried putting it in modem mode today and connected a white Netgear modem to it (forgot model) and could only get 1.5mb/s, when back in days i used to get 2.4mb/s (20meg) with that router. Has anyone got any tips on ensuring the superhub is outputting the full 30Mb, or shall i invest in another router? I gave away a WRT54GSv4 a few years ago, should i get it back :Frog:?

I don't really mind that i only get 3.1mb/s on wifi, it's just that on the whole, the superhub reboots once every few days, gets unreliable at certain times of the day etc, things which i had never experienced with older modem + linksys router combo. I had just chalked this behaviour up to virgin's network!

its deffo with virmins network mate........ im getting lots of probs with the network but when the network is working fine i get full speeds with wired and wireless.... the engineer which came out to me the other week was very supprised i was getting full speed with my lappy.... but it also depends on the card that your lappy is using... i just upgraded my lappy wifi card as my old card whould not handle the 30meg speed....

do what i did and open up a thread on the virmin support forum saying what your problem is.... you will need to entre your details like modem log files and power levels and a trace route which is all copy and paste.

you might have to wait a few days for a reply but they will check for any problems for you and sort them out mate.......

Last edited:
got mine fitted yesterday and within the 30 mins of the engineer leaving wifi issues LOL..

i have to turn off and turn on the wirless using the front button everynow and then when "any" device failes to connet to the router.. its an apparent fault with the units and VM still have yet to fix it.

but even then when connected to it im getting 32mb down and 2mb up over wifi :) so not all bad tho if it continues i will be asking for a new superhub and/or a sutiable N band wifi router to replace the router functions when the modem is set to modem only mode

Thanks for the replies guys, the netgear was a WPN824 v3. I think i was hoping for an excuse to get some router modding to do as i've always wanted to tinker with them. Dibbers, i can confirm that i have only a "b" and "g" option on the white router, no "n", which would explain the speed decrease? Also, it's just that i've scarcely seen the speed go up from 2.8-2.9mb/s and seeing as though 3.7mb/s is the max, i was concerned about the almost 1mb/s difference, which i can now chalk down to my laptop wifi card + the distance + interference (not much, but still can be there).

Ratts, thanks for the tip, i'll post on their forums and see if i'm ok with the speeds i'm getting. The Wifi card is probably a given, seeing as though my laptop is quite aged. And i agree with the network from the back, sometimes even when i connect via ethernet when the wifi is playing up, everything will crawl as if my ping is really high, but it only happens very rarely, too rarely to get someone to look at it. Thanks again fellas

I've just upgraded mine (some of you will of all ready read that I have) I've put a "n" based netgear router in, (Turned the superhub into a modem only) and also put some new switches, 10/100/1000 between all my devices... (2 x 8 gigabit switches connected via lan cable) and then an "n" netgear repeater *stuck the repeater at the other end of the lab you see so where ever I am it's a great signal)

I have 100% signal all over which means that I get as fast as possible wi-fi (but it still depends on your virmin package)....so yeah in effect what you done was took the faster "n" speed when you attached the white netgear and actually downgraded your wi-fi speeds between the router and the laptop, you have to remember that the "n" speed is quite old now (yeah I know!) so you'll be surprised at what "old" devices have it on board.

I like the netgear inteface and I also as stated wanted to get 100% signal all over, My network was quite old as the router was an old linksys, 54mbps max and the lan was 10/100 (wish i'd upgraded years ago)

Stuck in gigabit switches and routers, all running sweet.

As for your wan speed, then it's always around about that, unless your hard wired and on a newsgroup even then there's traffic shaping.

have fun.

Last edited:
I've just upgraded mine (some of you will of all ready read that I have) I've put a "n" based netgear router in, (Turned the superhub into a modem only) and also put some new switches, 10/100/1000 between all my devices... (2 x 8 gigabit switches connected via lan cable) and then an "n" netgear repeater *stuck the repeater at the other end of the lab you see so where ever I am it's a great signal)

I have 100% signal all over which means that I get as fast as possible wi-fi (but it still depends on your virmin package)....so yeah in effect what you done was took the faster "n" speed when you attached the white netgear and actually downgraded your wi-fi speeds between the router and the laptop, you have to remember that the "n" speed is quite old now (yeah I know!) so you'll be surprised at what "old" devices have it on board.

I like the netgear inteface and I also as stated wanted to get 100% signal all over, My network was quite old as the router was an old linksys, 54mbps max and the lan was 10/100 (wish i'd upgraded years ago)

Stuck in gigabit switches and routers, all running sweet.

As for your wan speed, then it's always around about that, unless your hard wired and on a newsgroup even then there's traffic shaping.

have fun.

Glad to hear you've got great signal mate. To clarify, does a repeater take the signal (through ethernet) and then transmit through Wifi so effectively, you've got your original router + 2nd router ranges? Or am i missing something? And yeah, the only time i even get up to 3.0+mb/s is on private torrent trackers which max out your connection

you can have a "repeater" wi-fi if you want, so you can take your wi-fi and send it over the air to a repeater, or, like what I have done is have it on the end of a lan cable next door, so yes same thing just wired as we know is all ways faster, Bridges come in handy if you don't want to run cables, so for example, if you wanted to send your signal to the garage you could do it via "birdge" and then in the garage you could either connect via wi-fi or stick an ethernet cable in, works both ways. but you'd then get a 100% signal in the garage as it would be picking it up from the repeater..if you hard wired a cable from the repeater to a laptop in the garage then it would assume it was wired connection :cool:

at the moment my router transmits in this room, on "n" and it also sends the signal via the LAN to a repeater that also spits the signal out. so as you walk around or go next door then the signal is always "backwall" 100% I could of set a bridge up and then done exactly the same but I already had the cable laid between rooms, so on the end of the cable at both ends is a 8 port Gigabit switch, one here with hard ware plugged in and one next door with other hard ware plugged in (not to mention the wifi stuff.!) and that's spilt off from one of the switches to the bedroom for the PS3...

Dibbs

Last edited:
here's a picture from a wi-fi bridge tut I made as it shows you what I mean...(this is an example of how it works...mine, I have wire between)

repeater.jpg

Last edited:
Just to update you all, super hub plugged in and running sweet really pleased with it getting 31000 plus

Back