Streaming From Remote IP

Zoom7000

Inactive User
Reaction score
I'm stuck in the most boring place on the planet for a week (in laws!) and was wondering if it is possible to stream a feed from my dbox back at home. At home I use StreamMe to stream to the PC. If I open the correct ports on my Router, can I stream this feed to my current location?

If so, how?

Not the way you want it to work.

The bitrate on a channel is 4/5MB a second. You would need at least this as upload bandwidth to be able to stream it in a watchable condition and the most on 20MB Virgin is 768kb/s upload.

It would need to be re-encoded on a PC down to a lower bitrate then streamed.

there is a thing called a slingbox....supposed to be really good...you can get it from maplin ...and a few other places...google it see wot u think ! This will do what you want to do !

The Sling Box looks like a really cool device, unfortunately it RRPs at around £95. Bit too steep for my liking, but a really cool device nonetheless.

aye its a bit expensive.....but good for them long buissiness trips....borin holidays....and of course them borin days at work LOL

Im doing this now and with excellent results,
1) I am using software called ORB which is completely free
2) I am using a TV capture card in my computer to get the picture from my dbox and into my computer
3) I was supposed to install an infra red sender on my PC to allow orb to change channels, but I dont have one so instead I remotely log into my dbox (yweb) and change channels that way !

this works very well and has the added bonus of working to mobile phones aswell as PC's bandwidth is auto calculated depending on network conditions and the quality is reduced accordingly

Not that it really matters as they are mostly clones of each other and use the same drivers, but im using a cheap no name device from Ebay that you can't even buy anymore

this £13 delivered item should do the trick !

hxxp://cgi.ebay.co.uk/USB-2-0-VIDEO-AUDIO-DV-TV-AV-VHS-CAPTURE-ADAPTER-CARD_W0QQitemZ110209426459QQihZ001QQcategoryZ67859QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks for that. Just wondering if you know of any others devices that can be picked up locally? That ebuyer has quite a high tendancy for slow deliveries.

Anyway, once you have plugged this in, how does it work exactly? Does it come with software that allows you to view the device locally on your own PC (in addition to Orb remotely)

I.e. Would this make for a better alternative streaming solution as well?

Im doing this now and with excellent results,
1) I am using software called ORB which is completely free
2) I am using a TV capture card in my computer to get the picture from my dbox and into my computer
3) I was supposed to install an infra red sender on my PC to allow orb to change channels, but I dont have one so instead I remotely log into my dbox (yweb) and change channels that way !

this works very well and has the added bonus of working to mobile phones aswell as PC's bandwidth is auto calculated depending on network conditions and the quality is reduced accordingly
When i used to have my old Dbox i could stream the TV channel to my PC using ethernet, i forgot the program i used to use on the PC, is this still possible and could anyone point out the software needed. thx

Thanks for that. Just wondering if you know of any others devices that can be picked up locally? That ebuyer has quite a high tendancy for slow deliveries.

Anyway, once you have plugged this in, how does it work exactly? Does it come with software that allows you to view the device locally on your own PC (in addition to Orb remotely)

I.e. Would this make for a better alternative streaming solution as well?

Any kind of video capture card would work, as I stated inreality there are only really about 5 different chipsets, most of the devices are just clones of 1 of them!! just make sure it can do PAL as ntsc is for the United States !

When i used to have my old Dbox i could stream the TV channel to my PC using ethernet, i forgot the program i used to use on the PC, is this still possible and could anyone point out the software needed. thx

off topic : spank :

but anyway there are several options including wingrab

VideoLan (VLC) does it beautifully.

Back